Would you spend $30 for 25 web television channels on Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by chris, Mar 17, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Once again, there are rumors that Apple is getting into the TV business. Namely, they would offer a new web television service. You'd pay a monthly subscription rate of $30 and for that, you'd gain access to 25 or so channels. This may or may not include DVR like access to previous programming. Among those channels, it is expected to include locals. ABC, FOX, CBS are reportedly on board, with NBC being the only hold out. Premium channels could include FX. That being a Fox owned channel, makes sense.

This sort of package makes sense if you're a college kid or travel a bunch. I don't see how this changes the paid television landscape. $30 to $40 is about half of what you'd pay for a triple play package (TV, Internet, Phone). If you remove TV, there isn't a great savings.

My thoughts are here. How about you? Does this type of service seem interesting to you?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Nah. I've already got AT&T U-verse with umpteen channels including local, HBO, Showtime, and all of the other "cable" channels, plus DVR, internet, and phone. My ATV2 gives me access to Showtime Anytime and HBO GO based on my U-verse subscription. My TV gives me direct access to Netflix and Amazon Prime instant without messing with another device. I'm good. :)

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm like you. I've got a pretty robust TV package. I think we're missing Starz and Cinemax, but that's about it. To avoid the high cost of hardware rentals, I've got a TiVo Roamio which I pair with a few TiVo Minis. We pay the cable company $4 for a single cable card.

I could see myself paying for this when I travel. There's absolutely no way I could replace what I have now – let alone save money.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

When I travel I'm either submerged in the local culture too much to care about watching TV, and/or I'm staying with someone who has a nicer TV than mine. For those in-between days I will actually read books or play outside.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, if it has on demand or DVR-like functionality. Things are gonna change. People are sick of having to pay for hundreds of channels they don't watch. I want my TV à la carte.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. We just recently cut the cord at home. No more cable TV or land line but did keep the Internet service for our internet usage, Netflix (via Apple TV) and Amazon Prime. Doing all of that saves us about $100 per month. The first month's savings paid for the antenna I put up for all the local channels. We don't really miss but two or three of the cable channels and can easily live without them. The only way we will get back into any type of TV service is if the channels are offered ala carte. Don't hold your breath on that one.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you don't mind me asking, what's your cost for Internet service? Did you move from a 'triple-play' package?

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Hi Chris, don't mind at all. The first bill, after all the changes, was $49. It had been about $163 per month. I was given a promotional rate for the Internet so that price will go up by 25% in 12 months. I had home phone, internet and extended basic cable from Wide Open West. I dropped all but the Internet and at the same time went from 15 MB per second to 30.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List