Would you still purchase one

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lisa22, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lisa22

Lisa22 Member
    Bronze

For a senior citizen? All my mom can do is watch netflix , check email and Facebook, and occasionally a little bit of web browsing or a you tube. Is it still working good enough for that or have the current upgrades made it outdated and useless? I can get her a used one so cheap, I hate to spend more for something she will only scratch the surface of.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Why not? Seniors often just need a basic tool for doing the simple things such as checking email and the other things you mentioned. The only other things to consider is her eyesight. How is it?

3. Lisa22

Lisa22 Member
    Bronze

Fair. Wondered about that too. Tablets can be tough to read

Sent using iCafe app

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

My parents who are mid 70's got an iPad for X-Mas and they love it!

They use it for email, FaceTime, Facebook and a few other things.

They hardly ever use their PC anymore and mainly just grab up the iPad..

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I have the iPad 1. I have no reason to get a new one. I use my iPhone for almost everything and get a new iPhone every two years.

6. Rufus T Firefly

Rufus T Firefly New Member

My Mom just turned 80 the other day. She uses her iPad 2 mostly to read books. She was able to witness two of her Nieces weddings last year through FaceTime when my Dad's failing health prevented their travel. Two things; don't buy an original iPad ( you'll grow old waiting for it to do things) and secondly be with her as you teach her her Apple ID and password. She will have a better experience if she knows her passwords or knows where to find them.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Jennifer Chesney

Jennifer Chesney New Member

My mom who is not tech savvy at all got an iPad mini for Christmas and she loves it! She uses it to facetime my nephew and to go on facebook, check her email etc. You can get refurbished ones for a good price on Apple.com.