Would you want the Samsung phone's "cool" feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hayesimus, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

The one where you touch the phones to transfer pics and other things? I honestly don't see why anyone would want it. I mean I've never been like,"oh no... How am I going to get your picture?" Send a multimedia message dummies. Or just upload the pic to Facebook and they can save any that they want on their own instantly. I just think it's funny that their commercials make it out like its an advantage over the iPhone saying,"when we will get that? Maybe the next one?" I have no interest in that feature lol

2. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Crap. Could someone change the title to say,"would YOU want..." I can't seem to edit it with the app...

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

There's an app for that, it's called Bump.

4. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah I know about bump. I haven't downloaded it. Because I don't want it lol

5. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

I LOVED how Samsung thought that was their 'iPhone killer' ability. It's just ridiculous and I would never use it.

And is it only with the GS3 or is it cross compatible with other Android phones? I only know 1 person with the GS3 and he's old so he wouldn't want my music anyhow.

6. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Lol I know. And I dunno I it works with other phones. This dude I know was telling me his phone could do that trying to make me jealous and I was like,"ok... So?" Lol

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't bump phones, unless I'm carrying more than one in my pocket.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Seems like there would be security issues with bumping. But I have no idea how it actually works.

9. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I don't usually bump phones, but when I do it's with a cheap, Android phone. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

there's a big difference from bump to wifi-direct or even nfc. the GS3 has multiple ways to transfer files of all types.
    bump is way too slow. with wifi-direct you can easily do a 1gb file in less than a min or two. so for example lets say you had a avi file of the new taken2 movie you can share it with no problems. the same goes for music and just about any file you have on your phone.
    on a side note with wifi-direct you phones don't even have to touch each other just as long as both phones are within wifi range. yes, yes, yes i know it's a gimmick just like everything eles that Android comes up with first. it is a gimmick until it comes to the iPhone then it's like the next best thing to sliced bread. case and point drop down notifier, 4g lte, and imaps just to name a few.

11. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

Still a gimmick, no matter where it comes from.

Technology advancing is cool. Being able to send these things is cool. The fact that two phones have to touch, less cool.

I remember exchanging ringtones over Bluetooth back in the day, that was cool.

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Notifications, 4G LTE, Maps > Bumping to share files.

13. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

Also:

Hayes, what happened to all your hair? O.o

14. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Or they bump phones & touch something on the screen. I'll just touch my screen. From a long ways away.

15. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Drop down notifier I agree was a copy. But 4G LTE? That's just the way things were going to go. Not really their own creation. Just a natural progression. And bump is useless to me. But maybe others like it.

16. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I remember bluetoothing ringtones. It was cool. But it really necessary anymore. And I donated my hair to locks of love.

17. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I believe that feature to send files by touching phones then tapping the screen is restricted to the GS3.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Samsung loads a lot of gimmicks into TW.. The bump to transfer photos is one of them.. The bump to transfer a playlist? Why on earth would I want someone else's playlist? Aside from that, these gimmicks ONLY work with another S3 and I only know 1 person who currently has one... So even if it was a feature I liked, my use for it would be zero...

The front camera that keeps the screen on when you are looking at it does not work based on reviews and the pop up video? Really? I might use that once and never again...

IMHO Samsung loaded to many gimmick features into the S3 that were not even close to primetime...

The S3 is nice don't get me wrong but some of the 'features' are laughable...

My .02

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

The only Samsung feature I really would use would be Tec Tiles.

http://m.Samsung.com/us/microsite/tectile/

But the chances of Apple bringing something like this to the iPhone before they even offer a quick settings access option (a la SBSettings) is unlikely.

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I enjoy the Samsung ads. I think the highlighting of NFC is more inside baseball (nerd baseball), than a selling point for the masses. The big screen is #1. I'd also focus on widgets. People seem to love them. Sure they are available on all Android handsets, but they've won that battle. The goal of these commercials is to differentiate from Apple. Widgets is a differentiator.

Hey, what'd you just do there.

It's one of my widgets, this one shows me the weather.

Widget?

Sure, I can add favorite caller widgets, blah blah widgets and personalize my phone.

Maybe next year we'll get that.

It's also an opportunity within the ad to showcase the big screen.

Again, I despise widgets, but that's the direction I would go --

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List