Wow boards sure have sure slown down

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
There hasn't been much action going on lately either in the third party development apps. I think the fact that there is an SDK coming out in a few months is scaring some of the quality developers off. I can see this as a good thing when the SDK comes out we will see some great apps, but then for right now till then this kind of stinks.

Apple doesn't realize that the more they patch and lock us out the more that we will just want to hack and break into it again. I think by giving us the SDK and an update that does lock us out, maybe we won't try so hard to hack. Thats my opinion, if you don't have to hack the device to put third party apps people won't be so interested in hacking. All I got to say is Apple, just release the SDK and maybe all this hacking and locking us out can stop and the real development can begin!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
especially with an update supposed to be coming at the end of the week.
Could have something to do with the domain change. Although, it appears to be consistent readership. I expect it'll pick back up later in the week. As you mentioned, the update is sure to get people chatting.

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
Well I have to say while I enjoy reading this forum, without a useful update LIKE C&P ! :mad::mad::mad: I sit in limbo with my iPhone not much interest in the latest silly wallpaper or ring tone.
I WANT ! I NEED A SERIOUS USEFUL UPGRADE. :mad::mad::mad:

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
There hasn't been much action going on lately either in the third party development apps. I think the fact that there is an SDK coming out in a few months is scaring some of the quality developers off. I can see this as a good thing when the SDK comes out we will see some great apps, but then for right now till then this kind of stinks.

Apple doesn't realize that the more they patch and lock us out the more that we will just want to hack and break into it again. I think by giving us the SDK and an update that does lock us out, maybe we won't try so hard to hack. Thats my opinion, if you don't have to hack the device to put third party apps people won't be so interested in hacking. All I got to say is Apple, just release the SDK and maybe all this hacking and locking us out can stop and the real development can begin!
My only concern with the SDK is that, no doubt, Apple will limit what can do done.

I suspect that Apple will not even consider "allowing" apps like SummerBoard and Customize.

"Golly gee, if we allow iPhone users to change the look and feel of THEIR iPhones, they won't all look EXACTLY the same, and our clones will begin to express themselves as individuals! We can't possibly have THAT!"

So, I expect that the hacking will continue, even with the SDK.

Apple has got to be the most over-bearing, controlling company I have ever encountered.

Rumpelgeist

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
My only concern with the SDK is that, no doubt, Apple will limit what can do done.

I suspect that Apple will not even consider "allowing" apps like SummerBoard and Customize.

"Golly gee, if we allow iPhone users to change the look and feel of THEIR iPhones, they won't all look EXACTLY the same, and our clones will begin to express themselves as individuals! We can't possibly have THAT!"

So, I expect that the hacking will continue, even with the SDK.

Apple has got to be the most over-bearing, controlling company I have ever encountered.

Rumpelgeist
You said it ! ... i don't think hacking will end with the SDK ... especially if there is a cost associated with the new programs.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
You said it ! ... i don't think hacking will end with the SDK ... especially if there is a cost associated with the new programs.
Cost doesn't actually bother me. I pay for Shareware apps all the time.

Many times, Shareware apps, written by independent developers (you know, the ones who sit in their underwear in their living rooms) are some of the very best apps out there, and I don't mind paying for them at all. So cost won't be a factor for me, personally.

But Apple, being what Apple is, I imagine that they will severely limit the kinds of apps they allow to be installed on the phone. And if purchasing/downloading/installing via iTunes ends up being the only way to put new software on the phone, then you just know that the apps are going to be limited in what they can do.

I mean, heck, Apple won't even allow us to alter the look and feel of our docks on OS X. Does anyone really believe that they are going to allow programs like SummerBoard and Customize to flourish?

Nope, I expect that AppTapp and the programs that can be installed through it will be around for a long time. And, yes, I'll gladly pay to purchase them, if that helps development. These folks deserve to be paid for their time and effort.

Rumpelgeist

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
so what? I'm still on 1.0.2 and see no reason to change. I'm loaded to the hilt with apps and sounds and really don't see a need to change. Some people have expressed that 1.0.2 is unstable but I have not encountered any problems yet. Safari might crash once a week for me.
Can someone tell me why I should upgrade? Maybe I'm missing something. The iTunes store is not for me. Its not worth the update for. Other than that please "sell" me on why I need these ridiculous updates. I'll update if you can tell me why...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
i was wondering the same thing... i'm really looking forward to seeing how everyone is gonna get around 1.1.2
I am doing the "not upgrading" approach to get around it!

Early reports state that this appears to fix a few bugs and patch a security hole that allows for the .tiff exploit. So in effect, this patch does nothing.

tupacinla

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i'm not even looking forward to 1.1.2.. all its going to be is bug fixes. nothing that stands out. All i would like from an update is better texting capabilities, such as, forwarding, mass-texts, picture messaging, and copy-paste! thats what would make my life happier.

:)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not going to listen to anybody whining about 1.1.2.

It was their option to update, and their fault that they got locked out or bricked or whatever. You should be smart enough to know that unless you do not mod, me for instance, you should not update.

I'll be updating. To me, modding is nothing special, and this'll fix the exploit.

And yes, the boards have slowed down a bit. But they'll be back by Friday. I promise.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm holding you to this promise. If not, this site will start selling coffee.:p
It's certainly got the right Domain name for that, no thanks to Apple.

Personally, I'm still upset with the domain change. This site was my corner of the web where Apple didn't meddle with affairs and offer me solutions like "Restoring" my iPhone to adjust my time.

But all that changed when Apple comandered the domain, and since then I can't wash this place clean of their money grubbing fingers. The water just doesn't get hot enough...

I'm going in to lurk mode for now, I really have mixed feelings on putting as much energy into this community as I had beforehand. Its different knowing that the posts I've made to help others along the way can be taken down at any moment by the very people who got us here in the first place, Apple Computers Inc.

In closing, I just want to say, "Not cool Mr.Jobs, but then again you're no Steve Wozniak."

/prowl