Wow, these apps just keep getting smarter...

Krogs

Jul 24, 2009
Just when I thought I saw everything :)

I came across this on youtube:
This app that can solve a newspaper Sudoku by just taking a picture of it. I decided to try it out, and it actually works! The pic doesn't even need to be taken straight-on...

You snap a pic of the sudoku, the cheesy music starts, a spinning little cube finds the grid and in a few seconds you can play it on the phone! They also put in a solve button so that you can cheat and get the solution :sneaky:

It also rates the puzzle difficulty for you (how?!), and it seems pretty accurate, the Times' super-fiendish actually got a score above the advertised max of 10k, while tabloids seem to get lower scores for even the harder puzzles, hehe.

You can't choose different skins like in other apps, but the playing interface is nice to use (big numpad rather than a row of tiny buttons) and it has some useful settings, like disabling the autolock.

Now if only they had an app to do my crossword!

(you can get the app here)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thats actually very impressive. I can't even do sudoku so this would actually make me look a little clever lol. Good find.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Pretty cool. I just bought it.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I have never tried Sudoku before but that seems like a really cool app!

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I have never tried Sudoku before but that seems like a really cool app!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I also have not attempted Sudoku but I do think this is a rather ingenius app.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I wrangled with a single Sudoku puzzle for nearly the entirety of an 8-hour transatlantic flight to no avail. Buying this app for sure.

Jul 27, 2009
I bought it too :)

Seems like fun and I like that they're bringing it out in other langauges too. So many iPhone apps just come out in English.