Wrapsol for the iPhone 5 (review)

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Terry M., Dec 3, 2012.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I really like the Wrapsol products. They offer superior scratch protection and a minimal amount of drop protection (IMO) while keeping the thin and sleekness of the phones it covers. Never more so is this the case than with the iPhone 5. You're able to keep the lightweight "sexiness" of the iPhone and still get your protection.

I've had the Wrapsol before on my iPhone 4 and I was very impressed. It lasted a long time and I never had any problems; in fact when I traded it in for my i5 the store rep commented on what good shape it was in. That being said, I've noticed a couple differences with this new iPhone 5 product. First, I notice the instruction sheet is oddly different. The old sheet had phone specific instructions for the iPhone. This instruction sheet is generic for any device. Not a big deal, I'm sure a cost saving measure, just notably different. They do still include a QR scan which leads you to an install video which is helpful if you've never installed a Wrapsol before. It also takes you to a video for a 15' drop test on the iPhone with the Wrapsol installed. The next difference I'll touch on in a bit.

Installing the Wrapsol takes a steady hand but nothing too difficult. You want to make sure you line up the product to where you want it. Even though it is able to be removed after being lightly adhered, you wouldn't want to do it much more than once before the final application. Special note, if you get the Wrapsol with the back protection that with the i5 having the metal back makes it noticeably harder to pull up and readjust so be sure before you fully apply.

The quality of the Wrapsol itself appears to be the same as prior models which is to say "excellent". It's a thick material which I fully expect to not scratch with use, yet doesn't effect the touch sensitivity at all. I have not, and will not purposely, test the fall protection. I didn't buy it with fall protection in mind, more for the scratch protection. However if you are interested take a look at the video on their website or on the QR scan of the drop test. It shows a guy standing on a forklift 15' in the air and dropping his i5 in the Wrapsol. The phone is, obviously, unharmed. Do this at your own risk. I'm not.

Final thoughts: It is of note that if you buy the full protection Wrapsol it includes the screen protector, the back protector and side strips. The side strips are a nice touch but, without having my old iPhone 4 model to compare, I think the strips are narrower than before - the notable second difference. In my opinion they could have made them a little bit wider as they don't fully cover the sides. This is especially noteworthy as the black i5 appears to be susceptible to losing some of it's color on the sharp edges - or at least mine has.
    The price on Wrapsol's website is $14.95 for just the front or back alone and $29.95 for the full protection. I ordered mine off Amazon for $20.50.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Nice write up.

3. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

The video is pretty impressive although I'm still a bit of a skeptic on this film actually protecting my phone from drops. I wonder what is the science behind it...

How does the film feel? Does it make your phone feel more steady/grippy in your hands in any way? Thanks for the review! :)

4. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

No. Not more steady or grippy. In fact, it's difficult to tell it's even on the phone. With the exception of the metal back, the phone feels the same. If you were to put a fingernail to it you'd notice, but otherwise....

I'm completely with you on the drops. I'm guessing there is some protection, but I'm not going to drop it to test out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I tried a Wrapsol product on my iPhone 4 and I couldn't get it on right, no matter what I did.