Wrestling with the iTunes database

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I'm one of those guys that elects to control my iTunes library myself, which as you may know makes moving your library to another drive a bit tricky. I've read all the guides, but am stuck on one issue right now:

My installation of iTunes simply wants to create and maintain its library database (the .itl files) in my default XP music folder, which is not where I want it. I've changed it in Preferences/Advanced to the new location where my music is (I want my database and actual media to be on that same drive) and it just won't budge.

Using XP pro.... any ideas where I'm going wrong here?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
To be clear: I'm trying to move my music AND database files from an external drive to an internal. I changed my iTunes library location in Preferences/Advanced then consolidated my library. It made new media and database files in the new location and everything was fine. Once I rebooted iTunes, however, it reverted to the old database in the old location. I can't stop it from doing this, even after uninstalling/reinstalling.

I have everything backed up, but it is such a mess I'm going to have to rebuild. All I want is my database file to stick to this new location, and iTunes seems to be refusing.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow. Really. Crickets?

It's the "XP" isn't it? Don't let that scare you, the answer is probably cross-platform.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so the "old" location was an external drive?

i've changed the location of mine quite a bit in the last year, and have never had it revert back after rebooting... sounds like maybe a registry key holding onto the old setting...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's exactly what it was, Hippo. I never knew this, but the Windows version of iTunes apparently puts the database files in your My Music folder regardless of what folder you specify for your media. I searched the registry for all instances of "My Music" and changed it to the new location where my old .itl files and media now are, rebooted, and bam... iTunes is back to normal no more work required.

I suppose that's nice of Apple defaulting to Windows standards (they don't often do that with their PC software), but an option to override would be nicer.