Writing a letter..

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
So the RHET 101 teacher assigned us to write a letter introducing ourselves by writing the following:

Background,
Fears and confusions about starting college,
Hopes and plans for the future, and
Expectations of this course.

(350 words minimum).

The thing is, I don't think I know the formal way of writing a letter. I thought the letter's formal way is like writing "Dear bla bla" and in the end "Yours, Tarek" for instance. But I don't think that's what she wants and that's what's confusing me. Should I just write it like an essay or would that be wrong? Does anyone here have any idea how a formal letter should be written? Thank you.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Most users here keep correcting other users' grammar and spelling mistakes, so I guess it's fine if I ask for some help :p. Anyway, here's what I wrote..

I love the "looks" part. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'll give you one nitpick:

In the sentence, "He manages shows like...," I would use "such as" instead of "like."

Experts come down on both sides of this rule, but I subscribe to the "such as" way of thinking. You're not describing a generalized group of objects, but specific show titles. In other words, you're not talking about shows that are similar to the two you mention, but specifically those two titles.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am very used to using like instead of such as.. except if I am going to list several objects. So I think I had the opposite concept.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's a nitpick that I doubt most teachers would seize upon, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine.

Also, you may want to trim down a couple of those run-on sentences a bit. Just figure out a way to make two shorter sentences out of one long one. It's more correct structurally and easier to read.

Also, nice opening sentence! Why don't you just buy your teacher flowers and chocolates? ;)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ass-kissing is a nice way to start a non-easy course with a lot of hard work asked and daily attendance :p.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
"I wasn't doing good in the first semester" should be "I wasn't doing well in the first semester".