Writing the word 'noob' on iPhone keyboard

lolmao

Feb 25, 2009
Anyone tried writing 'noob' on iPhone? It goes n...o...o.. then FAILS to press 'b'. It hits the 'n' instead then I have to backspace and press 'b' and it works.
its impossible to hit the 'b' first time. Whats with that?
Apple doesn't like the word 'noob'? :(

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
If you correct it a few times it will work. I think it adds to the dictionary after 3 or 5 times.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's just an autocorrect feature, it won't let you write Mcgyver initially either. Just backspace the "n" and type the letter "b" again and it should work.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Welcome to the world of autocorrection. You could turn it off in Settings but overall it's probably better to leave it on unless you're very accurate and have tiny fingers.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
If you correct it a few times it will work. I think it adds to the dictionary after 3 or 5 times.
Not always. It depends on the type of keyboard that is being used and the entry field. Entry fields can change the characteristics of the keyboard (i.e. one that is geared to email addresses or URLs).

On many User ID fields on web pages, I can't type my normal user name without having to backspace and it never remembers. It's irritating but I just put up with it.

lolmao

Feb 25, 2009
yes i understand autocorrection. but its not that its being autocorrected like a normal word, its that it wont let me write it in the first place.
i have to write noon then backspace then b. i find it weird that its impossible to hit the b key after typing 'noo'.
try writing noob and see what i mean. (or is it just me?)

edit: maybe it is normal but its never happened on other words for me

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
You're right, it's not actually autocorrection, but it's related. They made the keyboard too smart for its own good.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
I hate autocorrect so disabled it - then again I have tiny fingers LOL

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
try writing noob and see what i mean. (or is it just me?)
It's not just you. It's a rare occurrence and happens when you use a word that isn't in the dictionary (and possibly according to it's programming, doesn't seem like a real word or breaks some English rule of thumb etc). Like I was saying above, it happens when you try to type Mcgyver. Apparently, this is because g rarely follows c in the English langauge.

dilipc

Jan 22, 2009
New Delhi, India
Even after 5 attempts, my keyboard doesn't allow me to type "Noob" unless I backspace and autocorrect. But switching off autocorrect isn't what I want to do. It would be nice to know how exactly one can enter words in the iPhone's memory....

lolmao

Feb 25, 2009
Even after 5 attempts, my keyboard doesn't allow me to type "Noob" unless I backspace and autocorrect. But switching off autocorrect isn't what I want to do. It would be nice to know how exactly one can enter words in the iPhone's memory....
nice to know im not the only one who wants to write noob

It's not just you. It's a rare occurrence and happens when you use a word that isn't in the dictionary (and possibly according to it's programming, doesn't seem like a real word or breaks some English rule of thumb etc). Like I was saying above, it happens when you try to type Mcgyver. Apparently, this is because g rarely follows c in the English langauge.
ahh sweet ok

stratguy

Mar 5, 2009
LOL, hi guys, I'm a noob on here as well as a noob on the iPhone 4 days and progressing :) as soon as I read this post I went to my iPhone (3g) and used the email just to test it. Guess what? Noob came out perfect the 1st time as well as the 2nd, 3rd and so on. So maybe it's just your sw version. Mine is what came from the factory and I tried to update it and it said no updates available.

Maybe I've misunderstood the post maybe it was on an older phone or something like that please excuse me if I have misunderstood the original post :) Nice to meet you all!

stratguy