Wrong Lock Code

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I have just set a lock code on my iPhone and i must of pressed a wrong number in the code twice when i set it as the one i was ment to set it as does not unlock the phone

I have been trying diffrent numbers incase i hit a wrong key by accident when i was setting the lock code

Is there anyway i can get into the phone without having to do a restore as i would rather not have to restore then jailbreak again etc but if there is no other way i can get into the phone thats what i will have to do

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Nevermind just ended up restoring it in the end

Didn't think it would just let me restore it through iTunes with it being blocked because of entering the wrong pin

What happens if someone just found a iPhone then they are easily able to restore it and use it? Thought they would of had abit more security on it.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I believe the passcode is really for data as opposed to hardware security. Even then, a patient and determined thief will get past it simply by trying 0000 to 9999.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could "buy" a passcode lock that can only be broken by taking it to Apple store, paying to have it removed (small fee of course), and you must show ID and know the phone number /iTunes account info etc to claim the phone. The phone would enter the activation emergency screen after say...3 attempts at wrong code or restore attempts. The phone would remain in the "Requires activation screen" without the unlock through Apple....period. Hmmm
If the phone got stolen you could activate it throught ATT or Apple...or something.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I believe the passcode is really for data as opposed to hardware security. Even then, a patient and determined thief will get past it simply by trying 0000 to 9999.
That would not actually work, unless someone got it right in less than eight tries: If a wrong lock code is entered six times the iPhone is disabled for one minute. If after that one minute you get it wrong again the iPhone is then disabled for fifteen minutes. Get it wrong again and you will need to wait one hour before trying again. After that you have one last try. Get that wrong and the iPhone is disabled, with no way to enter a lock code at all. So in essense you have just eight attempts to get it right.

Once disabled completely, the only way to get it back is to use iTunes. If you connect to the same computer with which you sync, iTunes will unlock it, and you are on your way.. If you try and connect to a different computer than the one with which you sync, the only option is to restore.

So while using a lock code is not industrial strength security, it is more effective than one might think.

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Interesting. I didn't know that.
But isn't that 9 attempts?
Anyway, if you only have 8 or 9 attempts before it is disabled, why is there an option to erase all data after 10 failed attempts?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
There might be one more time extension, for a total of ten (there might be 30 minute delay, I wasn't sure as it's been awhile since I tested it--yes that was a PITA test :)).

--
Mike

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
That would not actually work, unless someone got it right in less than eight tries: If a wrong lock code is entered six times the iPhone is disabled for one minute. If after that one minute you get it wrong again the iPhone is then disabled for fifteen minutes. Get it wrong again and you will need to wait one hour before trying again. After that you have one last try. Get that wrong and the iPhone is disabled, with no way to enter a lock code at all. So in essense you have just eight attempts to get it right.

Once disabled completely, the only way to get it back is to use iTunes. If you connect to the same computer with which you sync, iTunes will unlock it, and you are on your way.. If you try and connect to a different computer than the one with which you sync, the only option is to restore.

So while using a lock code is not industrial strength security, it is more effective than one might think.

--
Mike
Thanks. I used to dismiss the iPhone passcode as little more than a nuisance.

thealiencow

Bronze
Sep 14, 2008
A problem is that when you put in the passcode you leave fingerprints on the screen. I can even see them on my 3GS if I look carefuly. If you look where the finger prints are and narrow down the passcode's number pool to 4 numbers, there are only 24 possible combinations. That's a 1 in 3 chance of breaking the code. Hardly what I'd call top of the line security.

Alternatively you can get yourself a harder password or lower the number of attempts with the iPhone Configuration Utility.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
A problem is that when you put in the passcode you leave fingerprints on the screen. I can even see them on my 3GS if I look carefuly. If you look where the finger prints are and narrow down the passcode's number pool to 4 numbers, there are only 24 possible combinations. That's a 1 in 3 chance of breaking the code. Hardly what I'd call top of the line security.

Alternatively you can get yourself a harder password or lower the number of attempts with the iPhone Configuration Utility.
This one needs to be in the OCD thread. ;)

But seriously, who unlocks their iPhone and then doesn't touch it again, or always starts with a perfectly clean screen? This one seems unrealistic IMO. Heck, there's probably a better chance that someone would put a gun to your head and demand the unlock code. ;)

--
Mike