Wrote a letter to the Pres/VP of AT&T

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 21, 2007
The day after the iPhone was released I immediately left for Cabo San Lucas. (I purchased the phone opening day around 9pm without any lines whatsoever, luckily)
So while I was in Cabo my phone didn't work, which I figured since I was international. However the data portion seemed to work fine. Emails/net. I figured I could just go and get a prepaid SIM card to use; but to my surprise no other SIM card is allowed by the iPhone. (I know this now, however did not know this before purchasing the iPhone). Most other cell phones allow you to swap out the SIM card for an international one no problem. But the iPhone just had to give problems. I couldn't even dial 611 or any international service line from the phone!

So with the phone only automatically checking emails and such, when I got back after a week I seemed to have racked up a ~$600 cell phone bill!

I immediately called AT&T and they refused to help any, except give me a lousy $100 credit for the inconvenience. Being unsatisfied I wrote a letter to the President of AT&T wireless, and to the VP of Customer Service complaining. I just received a call from the President's assistant telling me that they have credited my account and am sorry for the inconvenience and miscommunication while purchasing the iPhone.

I'm just glad they gave me my money back! ahhhh.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
The day after the iPhone was released I immediately left for Cabo San Lucas. (I purchased the phone opening day around 9pm without any lines whatsoever, luckily)
So while I was in Cabo my phone didn't work, which I figured since I was international. However the data portion seemed to work fine. Emails/net. I figured I could just go and get a prepaid SIM card to use; but to my surprise no other SIM card is allowed by the iPhone. (I know this now, however did not know this before purchasing the iPhone). Most other cell phones allow you to swap out the SIM card for an international one no problem. But the iPhone just had to give problems. I couldn't even dial 611 or any international service line from the phone!

So with the phone only automatically checking emails and such, when I got back after a week I seemed to have racked up a ~$600 cell phone bill!

I immediately called AT&T and they refused to help any, except give me a lousy $100 credit for the inconvenience. Being unsatisfied I wrote a letter to the President of AT&T wireless, and to the VP of Customer Service complaining. I just received a call from the President's assistant telling me that they have credited my account and am sorry for the inconvenience and miscommunication while purchasing the iPhone.

I'm just glad they gave me my money back! ahhhh.
Wow! Thats great.
Cingualr/AT&T has always been very good to me in that department. My parents live up by the Canadian border and sometimes, when I visit, some of my calls get billed as international calls. But, every time I see that happen, I just call them up and they credit my account right away. It's very painless.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Wow! Thats great.
Cingualr/AT&T has always been very good to me in that department. My parents live up by the Canadian border and sometimes, when I visit, some of my calls get billed as international calls. But, every time I see that happen, I just call them up and they credit my account right away. It's very painless.
ATT is *really* trying to be the good guy as best they can these days, especially with the transition from Cingular, and the new unlocking procedures... It's quite astonishing, considering how huge this company is... I've always been very pleased with the local Cingular (now att) store too - those guys are on top of things here in Los Angeles.

I personally gave up on tech-support and customer service lines many years ago - long before they were out sourced to India. Google is my savior now!

Congrats on getting some action from ATT.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe it's just me but I really can't understand the sense of entitlement that some people have now days.

You "figured" wrong and "didn't know before you bought it" so you racked up a $600 phone bill and somehow think that's AT&T's fault? And then you feel so outraged by the "inconvenience" that you contact the presidents office to complain because you didn't know that the iPhone was not "most other cell phones"

You put one over on AT&T and you're proud of that?

Sorry, I just don't get it.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Maybe it's just me but I really can't understand the sense of entitlement that some people have now days.

You "figured" wrong and "didn't know before you bought it" so you racked up a $600 phone bill and somehow think that's AT&T's fault? And then you feel so outraged by the "inconvenience" that you contact the presidents office to complain because you didn't know that the iPhone was not "most other cell phones"

thats what people do these days, they complain, whine and ***** enough till they get their way. If the person they are talking to doesn't give them the answer they want to hear, they ask for someone else. Is it wrong? in my opinion yes, does it happen everywhere and with most companies? you bet.

Its just how American Society is today.

Jul 27, 2007

I dunno. You have to call customer service to get international roaming turned on for voice calls (this is likely why he couldn't make voice calls), so they can make sure you know that int'l roaming is expensive. Why is data different?