WSCP Help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EvilRufusKay

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Hey Guys,

Can someone enlighten me as to the host, port, username, password, etc that I need to enter in order to gain access into the folder menus of my phone? I guess I haven't had enough fun messing it up yet! :laugh2:

Thanks!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hey Guys,

Can someone enlighten me as to the host, port, username, password, etc that I need to enter in order to gain access into the folder menus of my phone? I guess I haven't had enough fun messing it up yet! :laugh2:

Thanks!
Host is the IP of your iPhone. On your phone go to Settings > Wifi > and then next to the name of your connection press the ">" button to reveal your IP.

Port: 22

username: root

password: alpine

private key: leave it blank it will acquire one the first time you connect, click Yes to save it

File Protocol: SCP

--

It will take a while to connect the first time while WinSCP acquires a key. WinSCP will state the connection has timed out after waiting 15 seconds and ask you to abort. Don't click anything, it will eventually connect and close that prompt and bring up the file menu.

EvilRufusKay

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Host is the IP of your iPhone. On your phone go to Settings > Wifi > and then next to the name of your connection press the ">" button to reveal your IP.

private key: leave it blank it will acquire one the first time you connect, click Yes to save it

--

It will take a while to connect the first time while WinSCP acquires a key. WinSCP will state the connection has timed out after waiting 15 seconds and ask you to abort. Don't click anything, it will eventually connect and close that prompt and bring up the file menu.
Thanks Man! I have been reading a few of your posts so I am confident in following your advice!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks Man! I have been reading a few of your posts so I am confident in following your advice!
Wanna buy some Arizona beach front property? Trust me, once the "Big One" hits California, Arizona is going to be the next West Coast!

In all seriousness happy to help and welcome to the forums!

EvilRufusKay

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007

--

getting this error:

Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 127.

Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended).

Dude... love AZ! Sooo hot though! I am on the other sie of the planet in Buffalo!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It appears you still have the Dropbear SSH on your iPhone. I would recommend you install OpenSSH and use that instead, otherwise you're going to have an uphill climb every time you try to connect with Dropbear, its very fickle.

Tinman has some excellent instructions for installing OpenSSH through Installer, and ultimately uninstalling Dropbear. My friend just installed OpenSSH on top of his DropBear and has had no problems, although I don't personally recommend it. Anyway, here's a link to Tinman's post with the instructions, you'll have to pan down a bit towards the bottom:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/#post123403

It's labled under "Advanced Users" but don't let that scare you off. The only "advanced" part is a little attention to detail, and manually deleting the Dropbear files afterwards.

Edit-

Forgot to mention you will need to install the BSDsubsystem as a precursor to the OpenSSH install. Tinman points this out I believe, but if not, don't be surprised or worried when prompted to first install teh BSDsubsystem first.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilRufusKay

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
It appears you still have the Dropbear SSH on your iPhone. I would recommend you install OpenSSH and use that instead, otherwise you're going to have an uphill climb every time you try to connect with Dropbear, its very fickle.

Tinman has some excellent instructions for installing OpenSSH through Installer, and ultimately uninstalling Dropbear. My friend just installed OpenSSH on top of his DropBear and has had no problems, although I don't personally recommend it. Anyway, here's a link to Tinman's post with the instructions, you'll have to pan down a bit towards the bottom:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/#post123403

It's labled under "Advanced Users" but don't let that scare you off. The only "advanced" part is a little attention to detail, and manually deleting the Dropbear files afterwards.
OK Thanks. I have read that a few times already, but since I didn't know the difference in the two, or even what they are I figured I didn't need it. I will give it a try. Thanks for the warm welcome BTW!

EDIT: Is the BSDsubsystem listed in TinMan's post?

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I made an edit to my post above, dunno if you saw it or not, but um Yeah actually its the first step in his tutorial, lol. Here it is just so you don't have to hop around:

Tinman said:
Advanced Users (dropbear to OpenSSH)

Both guides install dropbear SSH. If you would like to switch from dropbear to OpenSSH, follow these instructions.

For those who used the one-click guide:

1.) Install BSD Subsystem using Installer.

2.) install UIctl from Installer.

3.) Run UIctl (be careful with this application). Tap au.asn.ucc.matt.dropbear and choose "unload -w."

4.) Install OpenSSH with Installer.

5.) Connect to your iPhone using WinSCP, username/password of root/alpine.

6.) Using WinSCP delete the following files and folders on the iPhone:
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
/etc/dropbear (folder)
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/au.asn.ucc.matt.dropbear.plist
/usr/bin/dropbear

7.) Restart iPhone. Verify in UIctl that au.asn.ucc.matt.dropbear is gone, if so dropbear is not loaded (which is what we want!).

8.) You may delete UIctl if desired (using Installer).

EvilRufusKay

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I made an edit to my post above, dunno if you saw it or not, but um Yeah actually its the first step in his tutorial, lol. Here it is just so you don't have to hop around:
Ahhhh Yes Thanks! I was missing the crucial word / prase "from the installer"

You changed your sigblock. If tinman for Pres then x999x for VP!

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
I read somewhere, when i was jailbreaking my phone, that the username was root and the PW was dottie.

Where did alpine come from, or does it use multiple PW?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007

--

X9, THANK YOUUUU! I have not been able to get passed WSCP asking for a password. Everywhere I have read that its "dottie," but that aint working!

Now that I know it's Alpine, I deserve a sandwhich and will come back to this once I'm full! :p I've searched and haven't been able to find any other information until this post.