WSJ: New iPhone to have larger display, go into production next month

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, May 16, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you trust the Wall Street Journal (no reason not to), Apple is set to start production within the next month on the iPhone 5 (or new iPhone). Most notably, they confirm what had been rumored, that Apple will move to a larger display of at least 4-inches.

Some interesting quotes from a security analyst, which I normally don't say.
    A new iPhone with a larger screen wouldn’t necessarily mean that Apple is making changes to its products because of what rivals are doing. The smartphone market has become diverse, but the iPhone still sets the agenda,

Thoughts? Is Apple moving to a larger display because of the Galaxy Note, Nexus, etc --- or was it simply time to progress to a new iPhone display?

#1 chris, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I think it's a combination of both. It seems that 98% of the new phones coming out have a larger screen, so it's time to 'keep up with the jones' so to say.
    However, look at the sales of the 4s, rumors flew that it was supposed to have a larger screen as well but didn't seem to hurt sales that the screen size stayed the same.
    I've got a feeling this device will have a larger screen.... but I have been wrong many times before :D

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I agree with, Scott it's got to be a combination of both.

I know hindsight is a great thing, but the iPhone 4S should have been shipped with a larger screen.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We'll never know, but I wonder if that was the plan, but it took longer for Apple to be completely happy with the new iPhone. Once they change the display, they are in many ways set for a few years, based upon previous history. This isn't Samsung where they have a gazillion devices, displays and resolutions.

My personal opinion is that iOS plays a big factor in this as well. Does it requires some level of major rewrite to accommodate the new display? Did they want the big splash to be a combination of major new hardware AND software? The way 2012 is shaping up, we are going to see a new iPhone with iOS 6. There's plenty of BOOM to that.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Whatever happens I'm sure we'll both get the new phone...

It can't be that hard to code for a bigger screen, right? It only took you 24 hours to fix the, 'What's New?' list with the new ignore thread feature :p

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

If they do create the new iPhone with a larger screen, they should still offer it in the 3.5 inch size to cater consumers who prefer the smaller footprint. This will keep Apple on top.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They have always kept the last revision around at a discount. Can they ship the iPhone 4S for $99?
    • new iPhone $199
    • iPhone 4S $99
    • iPhone 4 free
    That's a kick ass lineup.

8. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

i'm down.

i really do hope that the phone gets bigger though. i know people love the size and specs of the current iPhone but there is still plenty of room in me pockets for a bigger screen :D

i will probably be the only one saying this but i wouldn't mind it going to the size of an evo or something like that. :X

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Now Reuters has jumped on the bandwagon, with their sources claiming Apple is begun to place orders for a new larger display.

The 4-inch iPhone will be the new sweet spot.

#9 chris, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I hope it is true

NEW iPhone with larger screen and 128GIG of Memory (up from 64) and 2gig of RAM.............

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Hey, now you're getting greedy.

12. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

go big or go home :)

13. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Functional voice to text would be nice too. Not, "I wonder if it will work this time?" voice to text.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I use the iPad 3's voice-to-text feature all the time, it does get it wrong quite a lot. That's probably down to my Manc accent :)

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

My main concern is whether Apple will implement a SoC that will consist of quadcore's for both the CPU and GPU to help run apps on the higher res display.

16. Mrs. Stokes

Mrs. Stokes New Member

so any ideas when the release is on the 5?

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Most are saying October. I'm guessing September. If they really do into production within the next month, it could be earlier.

So worse case, a new iPhone 5 in October. I think everything would be shocked if for some reason it wasn't released by October.

18. Mrs. Stokes

Mrs. Stokes New Member

yay cant wait (y)

19. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

They used to make them smaller and smaller. Now they reverse the trend. 3.5 display was fine. I barely know cellphone is in my pocket. I hope 4 inch isn't much bigger.

20. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I think the smart thing to do is to keep the iPhone roughly the same size but up the screen size to 4". In other words push the camera and earpiece all the way to the top and do away with the physical home button. This will make everyone happy, of course except everyone complaining about the lack of a physical home button!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app