WSJ: New iPhones To Come In Two Sizes

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Jan 23, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

A new report today from the WSJ says that Apple is planning on releasing not one, but two display sizes for the new iPhone due out later this year. They say it will be available in either a minimum of 4.5-inches diagonally and one that is above 5-inches.

Also, the iPhone 5c with its plastic casing is going to change. The plastic casing is getting scrapped.

Does that mean three new iPhones this year?

Here's what I think. They scrap the 5c and replace it with a repackaged iPhone 5s. Offer it in an array of anodized aluminum colors, so it retains the fun.

The other two iPhones are identical, save for the display size. Moving up in class changes the price by $50 or so.

Thoughts? If there are two, are you going big or bigger?

#1 chris, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'll go with the smallest one they offer. Hopefully the dimensions of the casing of the smallest iPhone won't be any bigger than the 5s. I'm one of the few who isn't excited about a 4.5" screen being added to the same size phone because I'm already maxed out with thumb extension to the top areas. I can read super small fonts and value pocketability and single-handed usage over screen size. I'll adjust and just have to use two hands periodically to reach those areas if it is 4.5". That said, I'll be very happy to see bigger options become available for those who need/want it.

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Glad I'm not thinking solo on this one. Pocketability is an issue for both size and weight. iPhone has both licked now, but to compromise pocketability in the name of simply a much bigger screen could have bad mojo from those used to keeping the phone in a shirt pocket .....

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Smallest for me. Not a fan of large phones. My 5 is OK.

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I guess a 1/2 inch won't be so bad. I hope they don't make it as wide as the galaxy. I wonder if they are gonna add another row of icons with that new screen space like they did with the 4 to 5 screen size

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Out of the 'big screen' phones I've used, the most comfortable was the 4.7-inch Moto X. A 5-inch iPhone would be more akin to the Galaxy S4.

This will be a tough decision for me as well. I welcome the larger display, but I'm not sure where I'd find myself. Going big or going bigger. I'm guessing they'll keep the specs the same between the two, making it even tougher.

I wonder what happens to the 5c? Are they going to stay committed to a low-cost iPhone or go back to the strategy of selling the previous generation model at a discounted rate?

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The screen height of the 5/5s is ok. Slightly wider without it being unwieldy works for me. I'd rather it be 4.5" than the 4.7" we hear about. Time will tell.

8. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I hope that they do not make 2 sizes. No. Never.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why not? You don't want users to have choices?

10. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Nope. One size fits all.

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Typical Steve position. :D

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My wife claims all those "One Size Fits All" never do fit her.

13. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

They should have 3 sizes. 4 inch, 4.7 inch and 5+ inch phablet. That would cater to almost everyone's size preferences.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They will accommodate more people and increase sales if they make a big-screen option available. It is unlikely that they will stop offering a phone that can be used single-handedly, so adding a bigger size to the line up makes sense and won't affect you. Why are you so opposed to it?

15. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

They are fragmenting the economy. They are wasting time and resources on 2 phones. Apple has never really accommodated to the people, Apple showed people what they want. 2 phones with 2 screen sizes really goes against Apple's belief.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Beliefs can be adapted and changed to suit the times.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

problem with that is fragmentation/resolution. If they have three different sizes, do they use the same resolution as the 5/5S? Then there's less pixel density on the larger screens. So do they raise the resolution on the larger displays? then you have one or even TWO whole new screen resolutions for devs to add to their apps.

I can see adding one larger screen size and resolution, but two? having trouble believing that.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No worries. Adding one slightly bigger screen isn't going to be a big problem. The developers can handle it just as they did with the iPad and the iPad mini.

If Apple didn't accommodate people, they wouldn't buy their products. They add more of the features people want every year. They offered an iPad mini a few years after the first iPad came out to accommodate the people who requested it.

19. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

In a sense they accommodate it, but if we did that all the time we are followers. We must show the people what they want to drive the ecosystem forward.

I see the whole phablet thing dying out in a few years.

I would be fine with a 4" and 4.5" screen, keep the same size and then bump one up, but 2 completely new screen sizes would be trouble. I hate those ridiculous looking Galaxy Note's and S4.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We must give the people what they want to drive the ecosystem further. We aren't mindless drones who need to be told what we want. We have choices and it's in demand. The fact that the iPad mini exists is the best indication that this is going to happen. I'm not talking about a phablet. I don't think that's necessary or in high demand, either. Two sizes of the iPad and and two sizes of the iPhone is sufficient. Personally, I don't like the size of the S4, either, but this isn't about you and me; it's about the large amount of people who would like a bigger iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List