WWI is over!

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
This is kinda interesting, thought I'd share:

Hmm does this link work?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/8029948/First-World-War-officially-ends.html

Okay I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong so nevermind, haha

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Very interesting indeed. I assume they are still paying debt on WWII.
I heard through an unreliable source that WWII was paid off in 1990. Doesn't seem logical but I suppose if less reparations were imposed for WWII, it's possible.

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
I heard through an unreliable source that WWII was paid off in 1990. Doesn't seem logical but I suppose if less reparations were imposed for WWII, it's possible.
Post WWII there was nothing left of the economies we were fighting to impose reparations ON: they were thoroughly destroyed and had to be rebuilt. Still cost a ton to wage it tho, esp. in human lives which, after all, is the metric that matters most.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Post WWII there was nothing left of the economies we were fighting to impose reparations ON: they were thoroughly destroyed and had to be rebuilt. Still cost a ton to wage it tho, esp. in human lives which, after all, is the metric that matters most.
I find war history very interesting, though I must say I'm rather uneducated on the subject. Do you know the soldier casualty rates for WWII? (not to negate the mass genocide, just curious about actual combat stats).

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
I find war history very interesting, though I must say I'm rather uneducated on the subject. Do you know the soldier casualty rates for WWII? (not to negate the mass genocide, just curious about actual combat stats).
Im interested as well so great minfs must think alike ;-) I don't have the exact figures, though i seem to recall 400,000 as a approx number for US casualties. That number, while awful, is actually comparatively low. Pop quiz: Do you know which country bore the brunt of the Nazi war machine?

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
I was going to guess that but I second guessed myself! Yeah the numbers are mind-blowing! You know I just watched Schindler's List for the first time a couple months ago. Wow was I ever missing out!

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
I was going to guess that but I second guessed myself! Yeah the numbers are mind-blowing! You know I just watched Schindler's List for the first time a couple months ago. Wow was I ever missing out!
Yeah, an amazing movie. I used to use it in my classes when i taught about the holocaust in high school--(with permission slips of course). You may also enjoy a little known wwII film called "a midnight clear."
Very different from biggies like Schindler and Private Ryan but still worth seeing.

Toilet316

Bronze
Sep 12, 2010
Pennslyvania
I remember reading that there was no real accurate way of knowing how many people died during world war 2,but the soft estimate was around 45 to 50 million. That's including all civilian deaths as well. Tragic. Makes me' wonder if human beings will ever transcend the concept of war.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Wow. Let's assume for the sake of ease that the world population was around the 5 billion mark at that time. That means around 1% of the population died in WWII. 1 out of every 100 people in the entire WORLD. Crazy and beyond tragic!

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
The world population was in fact much less at that time, which makes the proportion even scarier.
True. Even without population comparisons, though, the numbers are staggering in their own right. Same with the us civil war with 600,000 dead. Its just impossible to get our minds all the way around this kind of upheaval--even if youre passionate about learning the details. I live near willow run airport in mich where they used to produce the B-17s and 24s. Theyve got a museum there now and every once in while a couple of them will do fly-overs. Trust me: just two gets your attention. I cant imagine a thousand of them in formation like they used to have in the war for the raids.