Xbox One Vs PS4

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
These two gaming systems are coming out soon. Who has a pre-order and for what system? Are you on the sidelines waiting to see who emerges as the leader? I wish I spent more time gaming. If anything, this makes me want to dust off a few old games. I've got a PS3 and Xbox 360. The PS3 gets more time, because it serves as our Blu-ray player. The TV component of Xbox is interesting, but I don't see it working in my house. Adding a layer of menus could be nothing more than confusing. Plus, I don't have a space for a game system underneath my TV and can't wire a Kinect from my close to TV. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this, assuming everyone has their gear underneath their TV.

Both systems are sold out. If I were to get one, it would be the PS4. I say that begrudgingly because I actually like the Xbox interface.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Although I have the Xbox 360 I am leaning toward the PS4, mainly due to the fact that I own a PS Vita and the remote play looks to be really good between the PS4 and Vita.

~S

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I have the Xbox One pre-ordered and should receive it on the day of release. I've always owned both systems but the Xbox has always received more play time. I just like the interface better and I think the controler is far more comfortable than the Dual Shock. I'll eventually end up with both but will probably wait on a price drop to pick up the PS4.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Agree with @iErik on the controllers. Xbox controllers were always nicer and the new ones look like a nice refresh of what's worked so well in the past. The more I watch of the TV overlay, the more I think that won't work, at all. TV interfaces are confusing enough. Unless they get a manufacturer to tie in with services (not likely), it just adds another layer. More layers = confusing.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I would love to upgrade my Xbox 360 but although the Xbox One is definitely far superior to Xbox 360, I have about 50 games that will no longer work on the new Xbox. I think I am going to have to keep my Xbox 360 and exchange my PS3 for a PS4 instead. That way I can keep playing new release games on it and not have to just stop enjoying my years of game collecting for the 360 also.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would love to upgrade my Xbox 360 but although the Xbox One is definitely far superior to Xbox 360, I have about 50 games that will no longer work on the new Xbox. I think I am going to have to keep my Xbox 360 and exchange my PS3 for a PS4 instead. That way I can keep playing new release games on it and not have to just stop enjoying my years of game collecting for the 360 also.

Sent using iCafe app
That's the same for both consoles, correct? I don't have a lot of games for either. All the buzz surrounding the Xbox One and PS4 makes me want to spend some time gaming. Wish I had time or would make time.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
That's the same for both consoles, correct? I don't have a lot of games for either. All the buzz surrounding the Xbox One and PS4 makes me want to spend some time gaming. Wish I had time or would make time.
Correct. I only own a handful of games for the PS3 since most games come out for both units. I use the PS3 for bluerays in the bed room and the 360 in the living room for gaming. I will probably add the PS4 to the living room setup, keeping the 360 as well, so new games can still be enjoyed as they come out but the tons of games I already have aren't useless.

Sent using iCafe app

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Neither console is backwards compatible this time. I usually don't care but this time I have a pretty big backlog of 360 games I haven't finished and now I'll have to keep both systems hooked up. It would have been nice to be able to play the 360 games on the Xbox One and access game saves on the cloud. My entertainment center is starting to run out of space ... and HDMI hookups!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'll be getting an xbone for these reasons:

- I like the controllers better
- Forza 5

Really if it wasn't for Forza 5, I wouldn't be getting either yet. I have no interest in any of the new PS4 games, or any of the other Xbone games. I know Sony does Gran Tourismo, but the last one was awful.

It's a pity that I'm forced to buy a kinect when I won't even have it turned on, but whatever. Shame they couldn't put that money toward a better GPU.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I have the Xbox One day one edition on preorder at best buy. I have always been a PS guy and currently have the ps3. Went with the xbox primarily because of all the extra goodies it promises (fantasy sports integration, cable overlay, skype, multitasking all these). Also I figured I already have the ps3 so no need for a ps4.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Interesting reading the PS4 reviews today. Enjoyed the Polygon review. Not only a good, fair assessment, but a beautiful design.

Sounds the menu system of the PS4 remains as confusing as the PS3.

I'm a bit jealous of all the new Day One system owners. Still fun to sit on the sidelines, read the reviews, reactions and watch how it all plays out.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I hear they are planning a Plex app for Xbox One. That's just one more reason to go Xbox One, when I do jump, probably sometime next year. I checked my Xbox 360 and was able to route extension cables to get the Kinect working. 360 is in the closet. I don't see my wife or I using the TV commands or overlay, so not overly concerned about it not being under the TV 24/7.

@acosmichippo Been hearing similar things about Forza. Completely rushed.

It always happens with the first wave of games. Both consoles will have crazy games by this time next year.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
At $450 with the $59.99 titanfall included and the (forced) Kinect, your getting the Xbox at $390 really. The PS4 is $399 and another $60 if you want it's camera. $70 savings right there!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
At $450 with the $59.99 titanfall included and the (forced) Kinect, your getting the Xbox at $390 really. The PS4 is $399 and another $60 if you want it's camera. $70 savings right there!
It's tempting for sure. Can I run an Xbox One without Kinect and without running my cable through it? So basically Xbox One run like you would a 360?

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I like this discussion. I own both xbox one and ps4. I think basically they're the same system. I've already beat the few games that are out on both systems. I'm looking forward to the new games that will be developed for both systems. (When I say they're the same, I know their specs are different but playing the games is great on each system).

Now my gripe about both systems is this: Many of the games are now requiring you to pay for "season passes" to play online games. This is such a freakin rip-off. I already pay $60/year for xbox live and approximately the same for Playstation Plus. Those fees should be enough to let me play multiplayer games online without gouging me to pay even more. When I got my xbox one I bought three years of xbox live so I could play online games, also bought a year of Playstation Plus. To find out that now I'll have to pay even more each month to play some of my games online is ridiculous. I think this will hurt both systems immensely. (Ok, that's enough of my ranting).

On another note, I run my Apple TV through my xbox pass-through. Works like a charm.