XGPS voice turn by turn update out now!

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
Xgps voice turn by turn update out is out now for iPhone I have not yet tired it. Anyone tested it yet? How is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
Have you noticed lag in the performance of the iPhone after installing this app?

I just have a weird feeling that Google is going to come out with a turn-by-turn gps for the iPhone. Apple and Google are best friends.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I love this app! Who needs a garmin anyways. iPhone FTMFW!

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
krisobe - have you tested it out and it works well?

If so, I might have to re-jailbreak my iPhone for the 4th time.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I just updated it, going to test it out in about 30 minutes or so when i drive to the metro station, hopefully the turn by turn directions are nice and clear. I just wish there was a way to get small database files for on-board maps!

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
ill post how it works for me here in nyc, im leaving in about 10 minutes. Found a cheap belkin mount that mounts to the vent and grips the phone from the sides, since i already had a cig lighter power cord i didn't need it to do both, rivals my Fiancé's Garmin Nuvi 750 set-up :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
I'll try it on my way to work tom morning.... Had a mess around with if seems ok so far.... Take the voice prompts don't work until your on the move.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I'll try it on my way to work tom morning.... Had a mess around with if seems ok so far.... Take the voice prompts don't work until your on the move.
thats what i figured, how about landscape orientation?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think it works with landscape orientation.
It does work in landscape orientation. xGPS seems to work pretty well, and the night option is pretty cool. The developers do plan on changing the voice in a future update.

Now I need to download some maps...:)

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
Just got back from my short trip, i must say i am pretty impressed. It is a cleaner interface now, a little more user friendly, and the speedometer is actually pretty accurate now, always +/-2mph from what i was actually doing if it wasn't already spot on.

I used it in landscape mode, which is pretty nice, its not night time over here so i don't know what the night colors look like, and i thought i had the settings all right but i still didn't get any voice navigation, is there something i have to hit on screen to turn it on?

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
It does work in landscape orientation. xGPS seems to work pretty well, and the night option is pretty cool. The developers do plan on changing the voice in a future update.

Now I need to download some maps...:)
Does it also use an arrow to show direction of travel?

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
Just got back from my short trip, i must say i am pretty impressed. It is a cleaner interface now, a little more user friendly, and the speedometer is actually pretty accurate now, always +/-2mph from what i was actually doing if it wasn't already spot on.

I used it in landscape mode, which is pretty nice, its not night time over here so i don't know what the night colors look like, and i thought i had the settings all right but i still didn't get any voice navigation, is there something i have to hit on screen to turn it on?
Did you turn the voice toggle on in the settings?

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
Did you turn the voice toggle on in the settings?
yes, and i have the langauge on english like it says, and yes it is not on vibrate mode and the volume was turned all the way up...

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I've been using G-Maps 1.2 for a few weeks now and I am very impressed with it. Before I found out about G-Maps, I was using xGPS, but I wasn't too impressed. I've been anxiously waiting for 1.2 (of xGPS) to come out for quite some time. I'm going to test it out in about 15 minutes.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You can activate night vision in the settings and at least take a look.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
After using it for a while, I don't really like this app. IMHO, G-Map is much better. Searching for directions didn't work very well and neither does the TTS stuff.

If you're looking for a real turn-by-turn GPS app, go for G-Map. It's $20, but it's way worth it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
After using it for a while, I don't really like this app. IMHO, G-Map is much better. Searching for directions didn't work very well and neither does the TTS stuff.

If you're looking for a real turn-by-turn GPS app, go for G-Map. It's $20, but it's way worth it.
Wow - you sure gave xGPS a lot of testing! It's already 6:22 pm EST! :laugh2: