XM and Sirius via Orb Update

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
When you are on your home network, the audio is passing from your orb host PC say (192.168.1.1), to your iPhone (192.168.1.3) or whatever.

When you are at starbucks or some other wi-fi hotspot your iPhone has to find you orb host PC over the internet.

I am just saying if you iPhone communicates with orb over your home network does not mean it will work over wi-fi from a public hot spot.

I hear what you are saying, but it makes no sense. I have used dozens of wifi areas and they all work fine with Sirius. The orb software is specifically designed to work when you are NOT on your home network.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I hear what you are saying, but it makes no sense. I have used dozens of wifi areas and they all work fine with Sirius. The orb software is specifically designed to work when you are NOT on your home network.
If it is working on public wi-fi then is should work on edge. You will have to have full bars and might want let it buffer a little before you hit the play button.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
If it is working on public wi-fi then is should work on edge. You will have to have full bars and might want let it buffer a little before you hit the play button.

Just curious, how do you get this working on public wifi is it isn't currently working?

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I find it humorous that all anyone seems to be interested in streaming over Orb is Howard Stern. Weird... Anyway my experience: loaded BBC 1xtra stream on Orb andgot it working, but only for two minutes at a time before stopping. I checked out the Sys Req. tho and i am only running it on a 1.3mhz Pentium. I am waiting to get a network card for my 3.2 and will retry. I also installed Tversity but man, that really looked like a biatch to get working; have to set up port fwding, etc. There is another hack that supposedly lets you enter audio urls at a cmd line on the phone.

What machines have you guys been successfuly running Orb on?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I am using an ibm laptop with a 3 gig intel processor and 1 gig of RAM.

I had an issue with it cutting off all the time also when the laptop was on wi-fi(b). But no problems since I moved it closer to the router and put it on the wire.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I find it humorous that all anyone seems to be interested in streaming over Orb is Howard Stern. Weird... Anyway my experience: loaded BBC 1xtra stream on Orb andgot it working,

Why is that humorous? Personally I only use Sirius for howard stern, maybe 3% of the time I listen to other content.