XM on iPhone (I have this working)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
(this is covered in the 'Sirius on iPhone' thread but I thought I would repost it so xm subscribers would notice)

Things you will need to get started.

1. An xm subscription
2. uXM from http://www.millardsoftware.com/
3. Orb server from orb.com
4. An iPhone

Download an install uXM. Click the settings button and enter your email address and password you use to stream xm online.
Click start.

Download and install the orb server. Part of the install process will help you create an orb account. Once you have uXM and orb running on your PC (I could not get this to work in parallels on my mac) go back to the orb.com on your PC and sign in/orb 2.0.

Click Open Application.
Click Audio.
Click Favorite Channels under internet radio.
Click the 'add custom' link that is on the top of the page.
Type in the xm channel name.
Double click the uXM logo in your tray (next to the clock) and click the URLS button. Choose the xm channel you want to stream from the pull down menu.
Click the clipboard button.
Return to the orb website and paste the url in the url field.
Click save.

Now get out your iPhone and go to orb.com and sign in.
Click Audio.
Click Internet Radio Favorites.
Click the channel icon for the channel you just saved.
Click play.
Click the small play arrow in the lower right corner of the QT screen.

Your stream should start. Mine seems to hung up at about 11 seconds. I just hit the back arrow and click play again and it work fine.

Wash, rinse, repeat for your other favorite xm channels.

Good Luck!

tylerdw89

Jul 3, 2007
I believe you can also follow the same process and get Sirius.

If anyone knows a way to do this that works with a Mac please post.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I believe you can also follow the same process and get Sirius.

If anyone knows a way to do this that works with a Mac please post.
I tried in parallels but the parallels network adapter gets a 10. internal IP and I could not get the orb server to connect. It may work in bootcamp.

Since the computer serving the streams to orb has to be online and running all the time (I carry my macbook with me), I just dug up and old windows laptop I had laying around and it is working fine.

Any old PC should be able to serve the streams for you. Once it is set-up it does not even need a monitor.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I'm guessing this uXM program has to be running on your computer in order for you to be able to listen? Say I'm on vacation and want to listen to XM online.. would be machine at home have to be running uXM for this to work?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I'm guessing this uXM program has to be running on your computer in order for you to be able to listen? Say I'm on vacation and want to listen to XM online.. would be machine at home have to be running uXM for this to work?
Yes. The iPhone is getting the stream from Orb, which is getting the strem from your PC at home. Orb does not connect directly to the xm servers.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
(this is covered in the 'Sirius on iPhone' thread but I thought I would repost it so xm subscribers would notice)

Things you will need to get started.

1. An xm subscription
2. uXM from http://www.millardsoftware.com/
3. Orb server from orb.com
4. An iPhone

Download an install uXM. Click the settings button and enter your email address and password you use to stream xm online.
Click start.

Download and install the orb server. Part of the install process will help you create an orb account. Once you have uXM and orb running on your PC (I could not get this to work in parallels on my mac) go back to the orb.com on your PC and sign in/orb 2.0.

Click Open Application.
Click Audio.
Click Favorite Channels under internet radio.
Click the 'add custom' link that is on the top of the page.
Type in the xm channel name.
Double click the uXM logo in your tray (next to the clock) and click the URLS button. Choose the xm channel you want to stream from the pull down menu.
Click the clipboard button.
Return to the orb website and paste the url in the url field.
Click save.

Now get out your iPhone and go to orb.com and sign in.
Click Audio.
Click Internet Radio Favorites.
Click the channel icon for the channel you just saved.
Click play.
Click the small play arrow in the lower right corner of the QT screen.

Your stream should start. Mine seems to hung up at about 11 seconds. I just hit the back arrow and click play again and it work fine.

Wash, rinse, repeat for your other favorite xm channels.

Good Luck!
wow ! nice post . i will try this tonight or tomorrow.
how is it on EDGE Network?
are there any settings to make it work better for edge?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
how is it on EDGE Network?
are there any settings to make it work better for edge?
On the URL screen in uXM you can select high or low. The default is high.

mms://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:19081/streams/stream?bandwidth=low&num=54&r=1186104069

You will see the word high or low in the url you paste in to the orb website.

I am going to make 2 sets of buttons. LucyE (set to low for edge) and LucyW (set to high for wi-fi).

The edge works. It is a little choppy at first until the QT builds up a buffer, then it sounds fine. It is only 32k so it is never going to sound like a cd or mp3.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
So, will orb run other streaming media to the phone? Shoutcast internet radio stations? .pls streams? I haven't really looked at it cos I was under the impression it wouldn't work... if standard internet streams can run through this on the iPhone that's really a big revelation.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
So, will orb run other streaming media to the phone? Shoutcast internet radio stations? .pls streams? I haven't really looked at it cos I was under the impression it wouldn't work... if standard internet streams can run through this on the iPhone that's really a big revelation.
You can add other internet streams to orb. I added one for MRN today and it works great.

From your PC or Mac, click on the pls file in your web browser and it should open in iTunes. Once it is playing in iTunes right click, choose get info and paste the url from that screen in to your orb favorite channels.

Orb.com detects safari when you hit it with your iPhone. So no matter what format the original stream is in, it will me streamed to you has a mp3 and played in QT on the iPhone.

The MRN stream is coming to orb as a .asx but to the iPhone as .mp3.

Unlike the XM and Sirius streams, these do not pass though your local orb client.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Now if I can only find a way to get the reaplayer setup like this to stream big brother. My wife would be so happy. She is always watching the live feed on her laptop but would love to watch the live feed on her iPhone.

porktart

Jul 31, 2007
Mine works perfectly, but my stations don't have icons of their names like yours do. Is that an extra step? AWESOME find, by the way! :laugh2:

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
im just confused . everyone says its working . i followed the steps and i loged onto orb from my iPhone i click play on the xm radio station im streaming and i get to a black screen with a quicktime play button that has a line through it . obviously it wont let me play it . how come ?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
im just confused . everyone says its working . i followed the steps and i loged onto orb from my iPhone i click play on the xm radio station im streaming and i get to a black screen with a quicktime play button that has a line through it . obviously it wont let me play it . how come ?
Is your orb running ok? Go to the configure menu and hit the test button.

Is port 80 open?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Mine works perfectly, but my stations don't have icons of their names like yours do. Is that an extra step? AWESOME find, by the way! :laugh2:
From your pc go to mycast.orb.com and click one of your xm channels.
In the properties box at the bottom there is a link to change the icon.

Mine are just screen captures from the xmradio.com channel pages.

Jul 17, 2007
Midwest US
This is so stupid. 374628 steps to get a service I already pay for running on my phone, granted that its running on a pc first. This should stay on a pc where it belongs. It sounds about as convenient as running WoW on the phone.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Is your orb running ok? Go to the configure menu and hit the test button.

Is port 80 open?
yes i opened it up under my firewall settings on my router . but orb wont connect now .

this is a big mess for me . all this for xm on my iPhone. more frustration