Yahoo/Gmail Photo attachment problem

Jul 23, 2008
I apologize if this is a duplicate post (I couldn't find my answer) or if I'm posting in the wrong area. :laugh2:

Here's my problem. When I access either my Yahoo or Gmail and open an attachment that has a photo, I download the photo and save it. No problem. But when I go into my camera roll and access the photo it does some really funky things. The first thing I notice is the picture has a slight "blur" to it. Then when I try to enlarge using the two finger multi-touch method, the photo almost seems to bounce or shake from left to right. To add, when I rotate my iPhone to landscape mode the screen goes completely black. I have to hit the home button to make my iPhone responsive again. Anyone else have any similar problems. What would you suggest? Should I exchange the phone. Thx in advance!

My phone specs are:
Black iPhone 3G 16gb
NOT jailbroken
Version 2.0
12.3gb available
2 mail accounts set up Yahoo/Gmail
10 app store applications
Wifi on
and a partridge in a pair tree :p

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
you know I hadn't tried that. Let's test your theory. I'll get back to you.
If it keeps doing it after the reboot, try restoring through iTunes. Then if it still does it after the restore, thats when you go exchange it. ;)

Jul 23, 2008
Update:

So I tried the reboot and no luck. Thanks gibby for the suggestion.

Also, I tried the restore option recommended by Savarino and unfortunately it didn't work either. Although I was pleasantly surprised by how quick the restore process was. Thanks Savarino for your suggestion as well!

So I guess my final option is to return the phone to the store for an exchange. I'm curious though can anyone that has either a yahoo or gmail (or other mail account) set up on their iPhone 3G download a photo attachment and save it, go into the camera roll and open it. What happens when you try to rotate the phone or enlarge it?

Final question, how does the return/exchange policy work at the Apple Store? Should I call them first? Thanks in advance!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Update:

So I tried the reboot and no luck. Thanks gibby for the suggestion.

Also, I tried the restore option recommended by Savarino and unfortunately it didn't work either. Although I was pleasantly surprised by how quick the restore process was. Thanks Savarino for your suggestion as well!

So I guess my final option is to return the phone to the store for an exchange. I'm curious though can anyone that has either a yahoo or gmail (or other mail account) set up on their iPhone 3G download a photo attachment and save it, go into the camera roll and open it. What happens when you try to rotate the phone or enlarge it?

Final question, how does the return/exchange policy work at the Apple Store? Should I call them first? Thanks in advance!
Today actually, my friend sent me a picture on my gmail account, and when I saved it, it was like any other picture. Zoomed fine. wasn't blurry. Rotated no problem. You should definitely get it checked out.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of days (around 3), you can call (800) MY-APPLE, and speak to someone there. Tell them whats happening, mention it has been restored, and they should send you out a box. You put your phone in the box. Send it back. They send you a new phone. But make sure to take your SIM card out of the first phone you want replaced.

Jul 23, 2008
Today actually, my friend sent me a picture on my gmail account, and when I saved it, it was like any other picture. Zoomed fine. wasn't blurry. Rotated no problem. You should definitely get it checked out.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of days (around 3), you can call (800) MY-APPLE, and speak to someone there. Tell them whats happening, mention it has been restored, and they should send you out a box. You put your phone in the box. Send it back. They send you a new phone. But make sure to take your SIM card out of the first phone you want replaced.
Thanks again Savio! I'll give them a call and I'll reply back with another update soon. -J

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks again Savio! I'll give them a call and I'll reply back with another update soon. -J
Update:

So after sitting on hold for thirty mintues (lucky I had my iPhone handy) I spoke with Apple Care and after trouble shooting she determined there is a definate issue and made an appointment at my local Apple Store for this Saturday morning, with the "Genius Bar". Gotta love that name.
I'll update again Saturday.

nishant_81

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Update:

So after sitting on hold for thirty mintues (lucky I had my iPhone handy) I spoke with Apple Care and after trouble shooting she determined there is a definate issue and made an appointment at my local Apple Store for this Saturday morning, with the "Genius Bar". Gotta love that name.
I'll update again Saturday.
People at the *genius* bar (ok whatever) are generally pretty nice... if you tell them that this is the problem and that this shouldn't be happening and that you have tried everything (basically give them an impression that you came to them as athe last resort), then they don't mind exchanging the phone.....i say that because i have seen some friends who had gone to the gb and they were told to try out a couple of things and then had to take another appointment before getting a replacement... so basically, if you think your phone should be replaced then let them know that you tried everything....

and ofcourse... do remember to sync/backup everything just before going, so that you don't have to re-setup your phone.....

good luck!

Jul 23, 2008
People at the *genius* bar (ok whatever) are generally pretty nice... if you tell them that this is the problem and that this shouldn't be happening and that you have tried everything (basically give them an impression that you came to them as athe last resort), then they don't mind exchanging the phone.....i say that because i have seen some friends who had gone to the gb and they were told to try out a couple of things and then had to take another appointment before getting a replacement... so basically, if you think your phone should be replaced then let them know that you tried everything....

and ofcourse... do remember to sync/backup everything just before going, so that you don't have to re-setup your phone.....

good luck!
Will do! Thanks to Gibbs And Savio I pretty much saved some time by doing the reboot and restore before calling Apple Care. The young lady that I was speaking to ran out of trouble-shooting options and had to talk with her supervisor a few times. Although she did acknowledege that this was a new issue that she hadn't come across yet. Lucky me to be the first I guess..

At any rate, I'll update on Saturday after I meet with one of the "Geniuses"!:cool:
-Thx

Jul 23, 2008
Will do! Thanks to Gibbs And Savio I pretty much saved some time by doing the reboot and restore before calling Apple Care. The young lady that I was speaking to ran out of trouble-shooting options and had to talk with her supervisor a few times. Although she did acknowledege that this was a new issue that she hadn't come across yet. Lucky me to be the first I guess..

At any rate, I'll update on Saturday after I meet with one of the "Geniuses"!:cool:
-Thx
It's Saturday and I'm back home after an eventful day. So...

I made my 11:45am appointment. The gentleman "Kevin" was very nice. Genius? The jury is still out, but definitely helpful. After my quick demonstration of the problem mentioned above he couldn't determine an exact cause. He went to the back, brought forth another brand spankin new phone and swapped it out. When I got home I quickly restored the new iPhone with the back up I did this morning and everything seems to work out ok. I wish I had a definitive answer for you all, but the "geniuses" couldn't tell me anything....

I love the way the box smells..... :eek:

jlauzon

Aug 23, 2008
jay,

I'm seeing the exact same issue with Gmail photo attachments. I tried it with Yahoo mail - same.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Next time Jay you don't actually have to endure that 30 minute phone call again either. You can go to the Apple website and make an appointment for any of the genius bars in your area.