Yahoo Messenger and iPhone

w9awx

Jan 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I was wondering from all of you iPhone users, will i be able to use yahoo messenger and keep it open while the phone goes inactive? My current phone is a flip phone so when I close the cover, it closes YM and doesn't tell me if I have messages. Will the phone tell me if there are messages waiting to be read?

Thanks

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
There is oneConnect from Yahoo. But it's the same scenario as with your flip phone. It closes if the phone goes inactive/to sleep etc.

I have my phone set up with Yahoo Messenger SMS:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/messenger/sms

But then again... I have unlimited texting...

w9awx

Jan 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Ah, didn't think of that. That way it would come as a text message instead of a instant message. That would work for me.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah... it's not as intuitive as the actual messenger app... you have to send a text to the Yahoo SMS server to see who is online, and there are a bunch of commands available for different functions... At that page I posted, go under the How To Use popup, and select "Download Shortcuts Pocket Guide" to see what I mean. It's really no big deal, honestly. :)

If you have unlimited texting, this would be perfect.

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Beejive im "15"$. Send u a email when your not nthe app and it gives u a preview of messege! Real good app

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Beejive im "15"$. Send u a email when your not nthe app and it gives u a preview of messege! Real good app
Yep going to second BeeJive, also Palringo will do they trick.

Dec 8, 2008
N
Why is that Apple wont allow apps to run in background?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
If you're jailbroken, you can download backgrounder, which will allow apps to run in the background.

Also, a work around I've come across is opening palringo and then putting the phone to sleep with palringo open. If you get a message it will notify you, as long as the app is open. Does not matter if the phone is asleep.