Yahoo mobile now on iPhone

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
if you tried to go on yahoo this morning on your iPhone you probably noticed that it re directed you to an "optimized mobile iPhone" version of the site. It sucks. It is by far the worst app I have ever seen. I have seen on many other sites the pleas of other yahoo junkies like myself who like to get there news and such from the site, in hopes that yahoo would make a good optimized version for the iPhone, instead they gave us a crappy mobile site that looks like it was designed in 1999. Take a look for yourself If your on your iPhone...http://yahoo.com

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
if you tried to go on yahoo this morning on your iPhone you probably noticed that it re directed you to an "optimized mobile iPhone" version of the site. It sucks. It is by far the worst app I have ever seen. I have seen on many other sites the pleas of other yahoo junkies like myself who like to get there news and such from the site, in hopes that yahoo would make a good optimized version for the iPhone, instead they gave us a crappy mobile site that looks like it was designed in 1999. Take a look for yourself If your on your iPhone...http://yahoo.com
The Yahoo! mail site is even worse. It reminds me of the experience I had using my Treo 650.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
haha yeah, you would think with the great yahoo apps on the iPhone (weather and stocks) that they could actually make a decent homepage and as you said mail site

Itrekman

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
dam it yahoo why the hell did they do that! is there a way we can revert back to the old page?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I posed this question the other day... unless there is a link to the main site, there is no obvious way to get there.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
yeah I can't figiure of how to get to the normal site...which I used to visit daily, this really sucks and I hope yahoo knows it and does something about it

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Man that looks terrible, looks like a Yahoo homepage on any random phone now. :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, the only "iPhone optimizing" needed on the Internet would be to remove any flash elements...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Want the old Yahoo back? I've messed around with the URL a bit, and I found the way to get back to the original.

Instead of typing just www.yahoo.com in URL filed, type the following, and you will be directed the original page:
http://www.yahoo.com/?q=+client=firefox

However, should you click any links on the Yahoo page that lead to another Yahoo page, they will revert to mobile. It's a pain, but add ?q=+client=firefox on the end of the URL.

- John

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
I really just hope this is temporary and that they come out with a much better iPhone site soon

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Feedback sent.

What a lame way to introduce a mobile version to the iPhone users of America. No choice, no intro... just WHAM, BAM... welcome to the new sucky version of Yahoo on your iPhone. OY!
haha so true, I left feedback too

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
seems more and more sites are doing this... i just visited Amazon.com today to check my seller account, and now they have a beta version of an "iPhone optimized" site... but at least they have a link to visit the REAL site.

Again, i say, why the need to "optimize" for the iPhone? It displays just about everything perfectly fine.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
seems more and more sites are doing this... i just visited Amazon.com today to check my seller account, and now they have a beta version of an "iPhone optimized" site... but at least they have a link to visit the REAL site.

Again, i say, why the need to "optimize" for the iPhone? It displays just about everything perfectly fine.

Leon, I will tell you why, Remember the post the other day when the forum member Disney/something was asking for code to re-direct his site to an iPhone site, and several members put the code on the forum, like _Brill, JoeT and I think
Griffanaz.....Anyway they stole the code and used it on all the sites.:mad:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Last edited by KNK : Today at 06:52 PM. Reason: Thinking about that Shaved legs woman..where is she?
You have the weirdest edit reasons. :p

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

Amazon's iPhone optimized site has been around for quite a good while I think, and I reckon their one looks pretty good ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Amazon's iPhone optimized site has been around for quite a good while I think, and I reckon their one looks pretty good ...
probably has been around a while... i only just came across it today. It wasn't as bad as some sites i've seen, but i still felt like i was missing something, so i went back to the main site.

mobile optimized websites suck.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
probably has been around a while... i only just came across it today. It wasn't as bad as some sites i've seen, but i still felt like i was missing something, so i went back to the main site.

mobile optimized websites suck.
I think we're both half-right or something like that. It's been around a bit, but has had a bit of a 'refresh'. I like their one, but I would definitely say that I think all these sites should have a big, easy, clear link for 'Go To Full Site' and vice versa - let folks choose ...