Yahoo or GMail on your iPhone?

Do you use Yahoo or GMail on your iPhone?

• Yahoo

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • GMail

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
What email user are you, on your iPhone?

Yahoo or GMail?

Pros

Cons

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I use Gmail because I've had the account since the "invite" days. I prefer it over the other free email clients.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I use gmail....don't really have a reason. I also use my mobile me email.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I have a yahoo, a gmail, and a mobileme. Out of all of them I prefer the gmail. I like it's ease of logging in online, integration with youtube(use your same email and password to log into youtube), and it's UI whether on a computer or the phone's web browser. It's an all around easy to use, fast and nice looking email. The only con I can think of for gmail is not having push for the iPhone but fetching every 15, 30, or 60 minutes is a fine substitute.

rarity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2008
Sunshine State
I have both. In fact, I have all my other mail accounts forwarded through gmail. If I could forward yahoo wo upgrading I would.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
I am using one Gmail account, two Yahoo, one msn and one exchange account.. the account I love most is the exchange because it push real time... Yahoo do push but seems like it always late for one or two hours compare to the real mail arriving time

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
gmail... because I'm a pro... not a con

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...at present I'm using GMail, albeit I have a Yahoo account, too. I was just gathering information.

I guess GMail will break leaps and bounds when they/Apple release PUSH. I'm using nuevasync.com/ at present. And it works pretty well...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Gmail is my main mail, but I don't actually check it on the phone. It is my default outgoing account, but I have all incoming gmail forwarded to Yahoo, which pushes to my phone. I just have to remember when replying to change the "from" field to my gmail address to avoid confusion for those that don't know I use both.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
...at present I'm using GMail, albeit I have a Yahoo account, too. I was just gathering information.

I guess GMail will break leaps and bounds when they/Apple release PUSH. I'm using nuevasync.com/ at present. And it works pretty well...
I used nuevasync when I had my Q9h. I didn't think to use it with the iPhone since I setup Gmail to sync my contacts and my calendar on an hourly fetch. I access 2 of my Gmail accounts through IMAP and 2 of my Yahoo accounts as POP3. I log into my Hotmail account about once a week. I like the calendar sync since I get popup event reminders on the phone.

YMMV

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
I use gmail as my address (also had it since invitation days) that I give to people but I forward it to MobileMe for push. For outgoing mail on the iPhone, I disabled the MobileMe smtp server, and added the gmail smtp server and set it as the only active smtp server on the iPhone in the MobileMe settings. This way no one knows my MobileMe address since any email from my phone is sent through gmail automatically. Pretty nifty set up IMO.
I use gmail because its spam filters are the best when it comes to free email.
Agreed! I have Yahoo and Hotmail addresses that I don't use anymore because the spam was ridiculous.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...to avoid the reply issue, just set the default SMTP for your Yahoo to your GMail SMTP. That way all replies will automatically show as coming from GMail :)

Gmail is my main mail, but I don't actually check it on the phone. It is my default outgoing account, but I have all incoming gmail forwarded to Yahoo, which pushes to my phone. I just have to remember when replying to change the "from" field to my gmail address to avoid confusion for those that don't know I use both.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That would work, except I can't seem to turn off the default Yahoo SMTP server. Do you have to enter your yahoo account information manually? Does push work then?