Yahoo's New Mobile Beta Site

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There was a recent thread on how awful Yahoo's mobile site is, and how it forces you there on your iPhone.
Today they've launched Yahoo Mobile Beta, which I think looks a whole bunch better - much more colorful and bright, better and easier navigation, widgets and quick links and things that make it look like a pretty worthwhile start page contender.
It's at:
http://beta.m.yahoo.com

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
It is a very, very little bit better, but it is still nowhere as rich as the full Yahoo Web site. The thing is that with the iPhone, I shouldn't be jailed in mobile-land since our browser can properly display full Web pages. I hate the fact that Yahoo has decided what is best for me. I don't really need a nanny.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It is a very, very little bit better, but it is still nowhere as rich as the full Yahoo Web site. The thing is that with the iPhone, I shouldn't be jailed in mobile-land since our browser can properly display full Web pages. I hate the fact that Yahoo has decided what is best for me. I don't really need a nanny.
I would agree that this site, or any site for that matter, should offer a clear and obvious link to toggle back and forth between Full and Mobile versions. I just have a different preference I guess - with very busy sites like Yahoo, with tons going on on their pages, I really don't want to mess with the full version on an iPhone sized screen - no matter how good Mobile Safari is, it's still a far smaller screen than my laptop. I'd rather have something tailored to moving around quick and easy ...

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
a 2008 mobile site for the iPhone looks like a good web app like...the digg site, facebook, fox news, CBS, etc. not an awful one that yahoo has given me that I could have gotten on my old flip phone

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
a 2008 mobile site for the iPhone looks like a good web app like...the digg site, facebook, fox news, CBS, etc. not an awful one that yahoo has given me that I could have gotten on my old flip phone
Well there ya go - different strokes I guess. I honestly don't find the Yahoo beta site awful at all - I think they've done a good job making it easy to see and navigate around the Mail client, messenger client, search, news, and allowed for a whole bunch of customizing the page with widgets etc. (not sure how many 1999 phones could do that). I remember what the Yahoo page looked like on the iPhone before they swapped to the mobile version, and it required a lot of zooming and scrolling and adjusting to actually read any content - this one doesn't. The Apple Web Apps directory insists on presenting a 'full' web page, which is marvelous, but it's a pain in the ass to use on the iPhone because you've go to zoom and scroll a ton to work with it. CBS and CBSNews.com sites both feature large blank blocks where you need Flash to display their content, so not sure how that qualifies as wonderful on the iPhone ...

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
I would agree that this site, or any site for that matter, should offer a clear and obvious link to toggle back and forth between Full and Mobile versions. I just have a different preference I guess - with very busy sites like Yahoo, with tons going on on their pages, I really don't want to mess with the full version on an iPhone sized screen - no matter how good Mobile Safari is, it's still a far smaller screen than my laptop. I'd rather have something tailored to moving around quick and easy ...
Yeah, I guess I sounded harsher than I meant. I have no gripe about the mobile site if that's what you want to use. My gripe is the lack of choice and that we are lumped with the WAP phones even though the iPhone is not a WAP phone. In going back to the original mobile site, I think this beta is more of an improvement than I originally gave credit for. And without a doubt I'm very much for personal preferences. I understand that one size truly does not fit all.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I think the new mobile website is affecting email as well. I have a friend you sends me a lot of funny email forwards. I can't view them over the iPhone's stock email app so I used to use Safari to log into yahoo mail and was able to view them without a problem. Now it seems like I have to jump through hoops to even get the option to try to view it and it barely ever works. Yahoo, give us an option to disable this!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yeah, I guess I sounded harsher than I meant. I have no gripe about the mobile site if that's what you want to use. My gripe is the lack of choice and that we are lumped with the WAP phones even though the iPhone is not a WAP phone. In going back to the original mobile site, I think this beta is more of an improvement than I originally gave credit for. And without a doubt I'm very much for personal preferences. I understand that one size truly does not fit all.
Thanks for clarifying. Absolutely agree on the lack of choice - really think it should be an automatic for all mobile / iPhone optimized sites, a big easy-to-find 'Switch to XYZ Version' button - so you can toggle back and forth according to your preference, speed of your connection at the time etc.