Yellow Screen Anomaly

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by snowtrooper1966, May 19, 2013.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Noticed this a few weeks ago:

6ygy8y8u.jpg

Noticed on a white screen when opening a new web browser window, upper screen left, just under the area where carrier name/logo appears.

Also noticed it when in landscape mode:

naqesypu.jpg

Same area of device, but since the black status bar moves, can see entire section is effected, not just small area as I thought. I went as far as taking it to the Genius Bar, but chickened out before they initiated the swap. Was not willing to take the chance of getting iOS firmware version 6.1.3 or later.

It's not so bad that I'm willing to give up my jailbreak. If it grows at all, I'll seriously reconsider, but as we'll likely not see another JB until next year after iOS 7 release, it will be quite the conundrum......

#1 snowtrooper1966, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you get version 6.3, you have a fake iPhone, and that could be the problem.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You took it to the Genius Bar jailbroken? Did they notice or say anything?

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Kadelic

I actually have a contact at my local Apple store, a manger I developed a relationship with. He jailbreaks as well, so is sympathetic. He happened to be on vacation, so I reached out to regular staff via telephone. I initially called to see if there was any way to see what firmware the replacement stock was on.

During the course of our conversation, while relating my desire to be able to maintain the ability to "customize" my device, it became apparent that the guy was sympathetic as well. I described my issue, and hopes of finding a JB'able device if they were going to swap out under AppleCare+ warranty. He essentially said JB is not illegal, and they have some discretionary leniency regarding customers who bring in a device with issues while in a jail broken state. An example he gave was someone coming in with a device in a boot loop or Cydia safe mode issues.

They would be likely compelled at that point to refuse warranty work, as likely suspects were JB related. In my case it seemed apparent that the issue was not, so the thought was it would not be an issue to bring it in as is, in all it's jailbroken glory... I was a bit skeptical, based on past experience with most Genius staff in-store frowning on such devices. I made an appointment at a different store, as I planned on going in after work.

Met the Genius at the bar, described my concerns and issues. He essentially had he same attitude as the Genius I had a conversation with a few days prior. They were prepared to swap it out under warranty as a no charge hardware issue. I made an attempt again to see if it was possible to see what firmware the replacement may be on. After being told there was no way other than staring the (irreversible) swap process, I decided the issue was minor enough and that I was not yet willing to take a chance on losing my ability to JB, so thanked him for the understanding and help, but politely declined.

He said he would make a notation that my device is having display issues, and they should swap it out any time I am ready...

#4 snowtrooper1966, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not a jail breaker myself, so I'm assuming there's no jailbreak for 6.1.4 yet. This stinks, hope you can get this fixed soon. Is this a new iPhone 5?

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I've only had it since the middle of March, right around the time Apple was expected to update firmware to close the evasi0n JB.
    Likely will not be another until well after next iPhone(5S?) launch / iOS 7 release.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you did the right thing leaving the Apple store with the old phone. The way I see is we have one year (or two years with AppleCare+) to exchange them, so why do it now when it's still functional? I wouldn't give up my jailbreak for that. The odds of a 6.1.2 replacement are slim to none at this point.

8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

It was a tough call, for sure. But my desire to use Cydia and tweak out my device overrode my OCD...:D

The upshot to this all has been that I was finally able to ditch my ideal case search and rock the phone naked, as its likely I will be exchanging this at some point if the anomaly worsens....

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

For me, even with autocorrect, typos seem to be the biggest drawback to posting exclusively from my 5, exacerbated by the fact I need glasses....:D
    I'll often rework something structurally as we'll, unless Napoleon PhoneApart immortalizes an error before I get in to correct it...

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sadly, I have noticed 2 spots like this in my iPad 3 :(

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Genius Bar appointment!
    Unless of course u want to maintain FW version.
    Pix?

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Would like to keep current FW, since its jail broken. Lost that when I got the iPhone 5 recently!
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1369170084.434065.jpg along the bottom

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1369170111.662174.jpg portrait mode

Wishing it was just smudges on the screen.

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I feel your pain. Looking at the photo you posted, your display look reddish to me.

#13 snowtrooper1966, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Yeah, not really the typical yellowing you see. Weird

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

"Typical yellowing"
    I recall some issues, IIRC, when the 4S came out, but thought that was the entire display, not localized...

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Nvrmnd, just answered my own question w/quick Google search.
    It's a known issue and had been documented.

17. snowtrooper1966

Gold

So with the devs chiming in earlier in the week:

that its safe to DL 7.0.3, I'm inclined to suspect a JB is imminent.
    I suspect the evasi0n FW window will be small, which Apple will likely cloae fast, so figure it's time to bite the bullet, swap out my defective 5 and run stock iOS 7.0.3 as a placeholder for the expected JB.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not sure why this indicates a jailbreak is "imminent," though.

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I have not seen them make comments like the above for FW updates....

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Really? It looks to me like 7.0.3 doesn't break anything, so it's safe to update. Maybe I'm missing something. I hope you're right, though.