Yellow screens! Why Apple? Why?

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
That's a good idea Youngbrinks. I'd like to see some side by side comparisons w/ a V1 to a 3G. From looking at what I've see so far, it reminds me of the settings on an LCD. You have a Vivid setting, a Standard, and some have a Warm. The new 3G's screens look to be set almost on a "warm" setting. Still looks amazing!

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Memo to Steve Jobs for future iPhones:

Include a setting where you can adjust the hue, contrast, colors and sharpness on top of the brightness so people can adjust the colors to their liking.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
All of this really reminds me simply of temperature settings on CRT and LCD monitors. I have a feeling this is going to be a user-adjustable preference in the very near future if Apple gets enough complaints.
I agree with your comments. No two panels are the same, and there should be some adjustment capability.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm putting the same movie on my v1 and 3G right now and I'll do a side by side and let you know what I think.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I'm putting the same movie on my v1 and 3G right now and I'll do a side by side and let you know what I think.
i'm doing the same after I restore my yellowish 3g iPhone. this yellowish screen is bugging the living hell outta me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just restored (actually about 3 hours ago but I passed out form exhaustion) and it appears to have fixed the yellow screen. As soon as the movie syncs I'm going to give the final judgment.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I just restored (actually about 3 hours ago but I passed out form exhaustion) and it appears to have fixed the yellow screen. As soon as the movie syncs I'm going to give the final judgment.
that's odd. i just restored and it looks exactly the same as before. ughhh

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Upon further inspection the screen did NOT change. I just played the same movie on both my v1 and the 3G and the 3G is still noticeably more yellow. It's several, SEVERAL shades more yellow on what should be a white background.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
youngbinks.. are you planning on taking your iPhone back tomorrow or sunday to get this issue checked out and get a replacement?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
youngbinks.. are you planning on taking your iPhone back tomorrow or sunday to get this issue checked out and get a replacement?
Oh yeah. I'm going to try restoring a few more times (as a backup and then as a new iPhone just in case) but I didn't take my v1 back to the store EVER for any issue so I think I have a right to say something about this screen. I will scope out Apple tomorrow and if it's still too busy I'll just head in on Sunday.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I made an apointment for Apple care on SUNDAY. That was the earliest it would let me. It seems as if regular shoppers can't just go in the Apple store just yet.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I made an apointment for Apple care on SUNDAY. That was the earliest it would let me. It seems as if regular shoppers can't just go in the Apple store just yet.
I had a tough time getting in today. I got my phone from an AT&T at 8AM and tried to use my v1 car charger to no avail. I went to Apple and had to go past like 3 different security officers just to get into the store. The Apple employees had no idea I had cut so I could have totally gotten another phone but I resisted the temptation.

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
I put my screen next to my v1 and I have to say the 3g looks tons better. Blacks are darker, and colors aren't so flushed. My v1 even looks kinda pinkish compared to 3g. I'm happy with it!

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Panic last night reading about yellow screen...wiped and downloaded new firmware...still saw yellow on all white screen...then I sat back for a moment and really compared the issues....

Side by Side with v1 and it is more yellow, but the icons are sharper, better text, movies and photos look more realistic...except for a need for white to be white, I think the new screen is a real improvement.

I work in design, and we set all our monitors to look more like the new screen on the phone. It renders colors more accurately, minus the white sheet of paper look. And that "white" look is really an oversaturation of blue.

To each his own, and what your preference is, but looking at icons, text, photos and movies, the new screen is an improvement to my eye.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
I realize $$$ and time is an issue to us all at EIC. I did not get a 5 series last year...I definitely had a 7 so Im not noticing a thing like most of us here. I DO understand the signifigance of a 5 vs a 7 but we are NOT going to see another 5 series from Mr Jobs. Disappointing yes...end of the world...no. Hells nawl.
I saw a 5 series iPhone last year and I saw the difference. I remember people bricking their first iPhones last year and replacing them and realizing they have a 7 series screen.
We can't anticipate everything but you can be sure iPhones gonna cut corners as time goes by. I appreciate the perfectionist attitude about this iPhone. I want it perfect too ....believe that.
Im happy my 3g signal is strong here in Cali...no email or call waiting issues either.
Ignore my hobbyist status on EIC...Im a Zea lot from last year.
Enjoy guys
R

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
So I compared my 3g phone with my other friend who got one. Mines is brighter but more yellowish than his by just a tad. And also i made an apointment to go to the genius bar tomorrow morning. Will i get a replacement since i already replaced my 3g phone bc of a dead pixel. Now the issue is the yellowish screen. Also i will be comparing my 3g phone to the 3g display phones in the store.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I went by the AT&T today to look at the new 3G phone. I have a V1 with the 5 screen. The 3G screens on display definitely looked yellow in comparison to mine.

I had hoped to see a white 3G, but they didn't have one. I am happy with my V1, and prefer my cheaper data/text plan for now.

Jim

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
So I compared my 3g phone with my other friend who got one. Mines is brighter but more yellowish than his by just a tad. And also i made an apointment to go to the genius bar tomorrow morning. Will i get a replacement since i already replaced my 3g phone bc of a dead pixel. Now the issue is the yellowish screen. Also i will be comparing my 3g phone to the 3g display phones in the store.
Face it man. Even Apple said the screens are "warmer" on the 3g's. That's how the screens are supposed to look. They're more yellow, not blue like the first iPhone. You're gonna waste your time replacing your phone over and over again.