Yes, you will want the NEW iPhone, Next Year.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone is talking about how the iPhone failed to deliever the 3G capability. However, many citites in the US do not currently offer the 3g network. So tell me, what good is a phone that CAN do it, if there is way to effectivily put the technology to use.

Some people are putting the cart in front of the horse here.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone is talking about how the iPhone failed to deliever the 3G capability. However, many citites in the US do not currently offer the 3g network. So tell me, what good is a phone that CAN do it, if there is way to effectivily put the technology to use.

Amen... ATL has 3g but almost everywhere else that I travel to does not. It would not be worth it to me. I would keep my EDGE anyways. The speeds in ATL are not that slow. I have often wondered why everyone complains. I guess I am just lucky to live in a location with faster EDGE

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Reported earlier today here.;)

BTW, I'm not so sure 3G is a sure fire reason to upgrade. I'm testing a 3G smartphone on AT&T's network and 3G coverage is spotty at best. Seeing the 3G icon is the exception more than the rule.

I'm sure there will be other goodies that will force me to pull out my credit card.

Last edited:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Reported earlier today here.;)

BTW, I'm not so sure 3G is a sure fire reason to upgrade. I'm testing a 3G smartphone on AT&T's network and 3G coverage is spotty at best. Seeing the 3G icon is the exception more than the rule.

I'm sure there will be other goodies that will force me to pull out my credit card.
Ditto there. 3G will be nice, but it won't be my big reason for upgrading.

(If there's nothing new in 2.0 besides 3G, I won't get it.)

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
There will have to be more than just the 3g for me to upgrade. One, the edge network that I have down here in Sfla is not bad at all. Two, I previously worked for Sprint and ahve used the EVDO network, and its not that much, if at all faster. Lets me honest, the network can be as fast as you make it, but if you don't have a computer that can receive the imformation at that speed who cares.

Three, I don't use the internet enought to justify and other 400+ dollar purchase for that reason alone. I really don't see there being that many added features in the next couple months that will had the "I have to have it" lable. I sit in front of a computer all day so the inadequices of Corperate Email and a copy and paste don't effect me.

All and all I love my iPhone and I have used everyother "smartphone" on the market. I love the interface as well as the reativly small size when compared to the other phones on the market.

With 8g of memory, an amazing browsers, great 3rd party apps, and a keyboard that is second to none, adding anything more that is a "must have" seems like a far stretch. But I will however, wait with anticipation to see the new features.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007

All us larger Metro area people complain louder then the people who do not have 3G networks lol:p

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
All us larger Metro area people complain louder then the people who do not have 3G networks lol:p
That is because we have it and know what it can do.

There are still people that are still using Dial Up and happy with it. I wouldn't want give up my High Speed because some people are happy with Dial Up.

I do know the phone processors and phone can make EDGE and 3G can seem to be similar in speed, but tethering to a Laptop shows all the difference. The iPhone shouldn't have an issue with processor speed.

When I went from an HTC8025 on EDGE to an HTC8525 on 3G I did noticed a big difference in speed and battery life wasn't really an issue unless I was streaming for more than 4 hours.

My reason for going with the iPhone was Full Web Browsing that none of my phones have ever offered (CU500,HTC8525, BlackJack)

I am more than ready drop another 500 for a newer iPhone, but would like to see 3G, able to tether it, streaming TV (missed that on my old 3G's), Video Calling (AT&T now has), Flash, MMS (tired of not being able see it on the run), and whatever other new Technology there is.

All I am doing now is waiting to see what Apple will bring to the Table or else I am jumping off the Apple Band Wagon and checking out the new HTC Touch.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
The only thing I think that will get me to upgrade to another iPhone would have to be a decent sized memory upgrade of like 16GB + and even then I would hold off like 6 months. When they release the 3G iPhone I don't think anyone is going to care as far as regular customers because they really don't understand the whole data connection or the fact that 3G will only work in 3G areas which isn't everywhere. I think it's just the fanboys that this will impact who will rush out to get the hot "3G iPhone."

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'd upgrade for 16/32GB and 3G (assuming we get it in the reasonable future) IF it has file management. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the SDK release...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I will remain amongst the quiet minority that is happy that Apple chose Edge as their data network for many reasons already stated. There may be 3g iPhones, but I won't buy one until there is MUCH more to offer beyond faster internet speeds.

Maybe it's just because I'm barely old enough to remember using 2400 baud modems and BBS forums... the current iPhone suits me fine.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I will remain amongst the quiet minority that is happy that Apple chose Edge as their data network for many reasons already stated. There may be 3g iPhones, but I won't buy one until there is MUCH more to offer beyond faster internet speeds.

Maybe it's just because I'm barely old enough to remember using 2400 baud modems and BBS forums... the current iPhone suits me fine.
I agree and remember the good ole days of BBS.:) My first Modem was a 300 baud Acoustic modem. You had to place the telephone handset on the modem after you dialed the phone number. I used it to connect to Compuserve and various BBS, heck, it looked great on my old funky green monochrome monitor back then.

I'm content with Edge but more memory and GPS would mean that my Wife is getting a new older model iPhone ;)

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I agree and remember the good ole days of BBS.:) My first Modem was a 300 baud Acoustic modem. You had to place the telephone handset on the modem after you dialed the phone number. I used it to connect to Compuserve and various BBS, heck, it looked great on my old funky green monochrome monitor back then.

I'm content with Edge but more memory and GPS would mean that my Wife is getting a new older model iPhone ;)
Yep - I started compulife with the same setup. Compuserve, the old school modem, and the good ole Commodore 64! While I can vaguely remember those days, there are times when I'm just too impatient to wait on slow loads. I'm lucky enough that I live in a strong EDGE area where speeds are consistently good, but I REALLY wish ATT would get off the pot here and speed up implementation. I'm sitting right between Atlanta and Charlotte in the most populous area of SC. There's 3G 85 miles south and 3g 65 north. I want it. Then I want a larger memory iPhone that can use it!

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Yep - I started compulife with the same setup. Compuserve, the old school modem, and the good ole Commodore 64! While I can vaguely remember those days, there are times when I'm just too impatient to wait on slow loads. I'm lucky enough that I live in a strong EDGE area where speeds are consistently good, but I REALLY wish ATT would get off the pot here and speed up implementation. I'm sitting right between Atlanta and Charlotte in the most populous area of SC. There's 3G 85 miles south and 3g 65 north. I want it. Then I want a larger memory iPhone that can use it!
The C-64 was a great Computer. I started out on the trusty Commodore Vic-20. lol :) remember the first cartridge games that were text only? You "Turn left", Computer "You see a.." You "Pick up ...". You really had to have a good imagination those days.

I'm a little over 75 miles from Dallas Texas and am very lucky that Edge works well here. I'd hate to have to pay more for 3G and not be able to use it on a daily basis.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The C-64 was a great Computer. I started out on the trusty Commodore Vic-20. lol :) remember the first cartridge games that were text only? You "Turn left", Computer "You see a.." You "Pick up ...". You really had to have a good imagination those days.

I'm a little over 75 miles from Dallas Texas and am very lucky that Edge works well here. I'd hate to have to pay more for 3G and not be able to use it on a daily basis.
I remember having a cassette tape memory access. I do remember the games you're talking about, though. Jeez, that was a while back! I was a loyal Compuserve subscriber until about a year after AOL bought them. Until then, I never had much need to venture outside the CServe "bubble" into the internet. I guess it's like having the internet on your cellphone. You don't know what you're missing until you have it!