Yesterday I Did The Unthinkable..

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I dropped my 3G onto the floor of the lobby (of the building which I work), and well, it hit the back HARD... and when I picked it up, there was the all too familiar spider web crack at the top of the screen, stretching down til about mid phone.. *sigh* :(:(

Any advice on getting a replacement, getting it fixed (IN THE ATLANTA AREA), or just junking it.. LOL

I don't want to be without it for a matter of days, so sending it off to be fixed is my last resort... I'm not upgrade eligible, so dropping down $399 for the 16GB 3GS isn't feasible right now either..

I wish I could just walk up into the Apple Store and get another one, but I don't want to make Apple pay for MY mistake..

I guess I could just load up one of the Beta software packages, with an unregistered UDID and let it crash the phone, and take it to the Apple Store and say it happened while backing up the phone... (hoping they'd have to give me another phone based on software issues, which overrides the cracked screen) blah blah blah... but that would be dishonest...

your thoughts?

Yes, I'm still under warranty...

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I think the cracked screen takes precedence over any software problems because they can argue the drop was the cause of the functionality problems.

My suggestion is this. If you can afford it, go get a 3Gs. Think of this as a sign :eek:k:eek:k

If $399 isn't feasable, I would do this. Look around your place for some stuff you don't use too much and put it all up on craigslist. Once you sell enough crap, use the money to buy the 3Gs. I have done this a lot and it is really awesome. One mans trash is another's treasure I guess.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think the cracked screen takes precedence over any software problems because they can argue the drop was the cause of the functionality problems.

My suggestion is this. If you can afford it, go get a 3Gs. Think of this as a sign :eek:k:eek:k

If $399 isn't feasable, I would do this. Look around your place for some stuff you don't use too much and put it all up on craigslist. Once you sell enough crap, use the money to buy the 3Gs. I have done this a lot and it is really awesome. One mans trash is another's treasure I guess.
You could also sell it with a cracked screen on CL. You'll get more money than you think.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Also as far as repairing goes. I believe they are now doing screen replacements in the Apple Stores. You wouldn't have to worry about sending it off to get fixed however I don't know what kind of turnaround they can provide. I'm almost certain the fee is $199 to repair the screen.

Out of curiosity did you have a screen protector on it and was it protected by a case? I'm not trying to validate the usage of a case as my phone is naked. Just wondering.

REFUGIO

May 28, 2009
Refugio,Texas
Try this place www.iresq.com They can have it back to you on the third day.
I had an iPod repaired (screen) by them. Sent it on a Monday....Had it back on Wednesday.
Good Luck

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It will cost $250 at the Apple store, so you might as well spend $200 and buy a new one. Then take the old one and sell as is on eBay, I saw where people paid $75-$80 so recoup some $$$

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
Btw... they will know you had unreleased software. The screen actually turns purple when restoring. It actually happened to me yesterday. Their advice was that I had to wait until 3.1 was released and then come back with my issue.

Like everyone is saying, you'll have to drop some cash. The route I would take is selling the cracked screen on CL for $200 and then using an additional $200 to buy a new iPhone.

Apple fixes screens for $200-$250, but the drop may have made other things goes wrong in the phone, so it's best to get a fresh device.

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
it was naked.. I had a case, but found it bulky and obtrusive...

I found a local place here in Atlanta that does it for $125, and the turnaround is about an hour, so I'm going to give them a shot... it works perfectly, so aside from it being ugly, nothing else is wrong...

I'm still going to walk into an Apple store and try to give it to them, for a refurb.. just to see how far I can go...

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
it was naked.. I had a case, but found it bulky and obtrusive...

I found a local place here in Atlanta that does it for $125, and the turnaround is about an hour, so I'm going to give them a shot... it works perfectly, so aside from it being ugly, nothing else is wrong...

I'm still going to walk into an Apple store and try to give it to them, for a refurb.. just to see how far I can go...
Your story is a concern for me but not enough to detour me from keeping mine naked also. I do use a crystal screen protector though and wonder how much protection they really offer from a fall such as what yours suffered. I'm guess not much though.

$125 and an hour turnaround sounds like the best deal going. I'd certainly give 'em a try.

Let us know how it works out for you.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
FWIW, I sold my friend's iPhone 3G Black 8GB cracked screen for $259 on eBay. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Dude, that is way more then a cracked screen. What the hell happened to it?
yes it's like the Terminator with half its (his?) face gone.

I could see someone buying an iPhone with a cracked screen. But one that was used to detonate an explosive device?

The things people buy...

--
Mike

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, physical damage like that voids your warranty - no ifs, ands, or buts.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
When did you sell it? I'm about to trade a bold for and 8gb + $$$.
That was early summer.

Dude, that is way more then a cracked screen. What the hell happened to it?
His gf hung up on him and he threw it across the room aiming for the couch, but he threw too low and it hit the wooden trim at the bottom of the couch.

I could see someone buying an iPhone with a cracked screen. But one that was used to detonate an explosive device?

The things people buy...
I know! I was wondering why anyone paid that much. It didn't seem like just a glass repair.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
My mother-in-law cracked her screen about 3-4 months ago. At that time those at the Apple store said they don't fix the screens themselves anymore. And that the only option was to pay $199 and get a replacement. Which I think was a refurbished model.

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
UPDATE:

Dropping your iPhone in the lobby and smashing the screen sucks. Replacing the iPhone as a whole $399 (for the new 3GS non-upgrade eligible). Replacing the screen only $199. Giving the guy @ the Apple Store 2 Braves tickets for the August 2nd game against the L.A. Dodgers and $50 and getting a pretty new iPhone (Refurb). PRICELESS! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Nice, SA. Which store did you go to? I do not particularly like the Perimeter Mall store. It's small and they seem to have one floating "tech guy" that gives excuses to walk-ups as to why their phone/equipment might be acting funny. My sister's 3g gets hot enough talking on 3G to the point where it's very uncomfortable to hold it to her face. He told her that she should make calls on Edge and only use 3G for data.
I joined the conversation and basically shut him down at every turn, letting him know that we tried all of his suggestions already, and I finally cut him short and said that I appreciate his time, but if the problem continues, we are going to the Lenox Mall location. Dill hole.
What's even funnier is that he ran diagnostics on it and while she didn't get the warning message that it was over-heating, it was obvious that it reported that the phone was averaging high temps. I told her that if it continues, or gets worse to call the 800 My Apple number and she would need to send it in. (she lives in Athens)