Yet another Apple TV issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Acre56, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Acre56

Acre56 Member
    Bronze

Tried to mirror with my ipad 2 but when i double click the home button and swipe right there is no icon to enable mirroring
    Whats going wrong?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are both the iPad and the Apple TV connected to the same WiFi network? It won't work if you're not on WiFi. What firmware version do you have on the iPad?

3. Acre56

Acre56 Member
    Bronze

Yep both on the same wifi but keep getting message to turn on home sharing in iTunes on my computer or on my Apple tv.. But they both have home sharing turned on!

Sent using iCafe app

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Happens to my iPhone 5 and ATV2 also, a reboot usually corrects the issue, I wish I knew what's wrong.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

You might check your security/firewall/port forwarding settings in your router If you've tried everything else, It seems like the devices might be blocked by the router or perhaps even the firewall on the PC.

6. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have found that mine does that if I let the Apple TV go to sleep. When I get done watching something. I was letting the Apple tv turn itself off. Doing that I could not mirror or playing anything from my iTunes server. However if I turn off the Apple tv going into settings. it works fine.

I do believe that it's a bug though. Started for me after the last software update.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm starting to suspect its my router, it may be starting to go.

Sent using iCafe app

8. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

You never answered which firmware version you were using..or did I just miss it?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you mean to quote the OP instead of me? But either way, you didn't miss it. They haven't logged in or posted in this thread since they started it in December, so why bump this thread to ask that question now?

10. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

Whoops, I didn't realize they hadn't logged in, and that was aimed at the OP (my bad :X). I was curious to know if that was the source of the problem. I don't have an ATV, but I've been reading up about them on the forums and I'm thinking of purchasing one. I'm trying to get a feel for all the issues people have with them though before I invest. I'm thinking I should probably wait until they get some of these kinks worked out.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Don't base your decision on this thread. The Apple TV doesn't have any kinks that need to be worked out. I've been using one for years and had no problems with it. Plus, you can try it out and return it if you don't like it. You might want to start your own thread and post your concerns there.

12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I realize this thread is old and the OP has not returned but just in case a user stumbles upon this thread seeking an answer here I go! :-p

I had the same problem a few times where AirPlay would not show on the iPad.

Reboot iPad = No joy
    Toggle AirPlay on / off in ATV settings = No joy
    Reboot Apple TV = No joy
    Reboot the router = Happy happy joy joy

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :-D

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I loved that show.
    image.jpg

14. Marc_

Marc_ Member
    Bronze

My mate had this and had to keep restarting the router. Sounds daft but setting langauge to something else on the iPad then switching back to uk stopped this re-occurring.

Sent using iCafe app

15. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thinking about getting Apple TV. Should I? Is it worth it?

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's a great device because of the numerous little things it does well. From an iPhone users perspective, it's super nice to be able to easily AirPlay something to the big TV. Photostream support is also a big deal. You can also access your music from your Mac (or iTunes Match). All this stuff plus it's a pretty good streaming device for Netflix.

If you'd use those features, it's easily worth the price of admission. I don't rent movies (due to the cost), but use all the other stuff semi-regularly. We are a big Roku house, so that gets the bulk of our Netflix usage.