I have push enabled.

It was fully charged at 12:00 am

Now its 6 hours later and the phone is at 40% battery

Owwwwwwwww

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
How long have you had your phone? I'm sure I am just preaching to the choir here but with EVERY electronic device I have/had I always unbox it and drain the battery down to zero before I ever plug it in to charge to 100%. I also follow a routine of draining the battery down to zero before I ever plug it back in to charge, and only let it charge for the amount of time it takes to become fully charged. Again, I know this is a basic routine followed by many, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Actually I fully charged mine the first day I got it even though it had plenty of battery life left and it lasted about 4 days. I used it conservatively - only went on WiFi a few times, checked a few emails and had maybe a handful of calls during those 4 days. I let it completely drained and then recharged it to full but this time it lasted less than 2 days! Usage was similar to the first 4 days but for some reason the battery went down fast and I wasn't even surfing the web with 3G off as well. Then again, I experienced this with my v1 iPhone but it eventually got up to 7-8 hrs of usage before I have to charge it again.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
took my phone off the charger yesterday around 9am. I made phone calls, checked and sent out text/emails and surfed the web yesterday and today. I still haven't hit the 20% battery indicator yet. Remember I took it off the charger yesterday at 9am. It's 7:15pm the next day now. My thing is that I let my phone die out completly before I charge it.

jongraytv

Jul 29, 2008
Oak Ridge, NJ
I made 0 calles.

I surfed the web for 10 min.

I checked my email 4 times.

I have my email fetch only every hour.

I played one game for 5 minutes.

I have my brightness on medium.

I have push enabled.

It was fully charged at 12:00 am

Now its 6 hours later and the phone is at 40% battery

Owwwwwwwww
Today I used my phone from 6am - until now(10.15pm EST)

I had push turned on
3G turned on
Checking a GMAIL account every 30 mins (fetch)
surfed the web every now and then all day
spoke on the phone a fair bit - probably 2 hours (work)
Brightness on medium
..and played some games

i still have over 40% left approx.

I have used this thing all day for the last few days and the battery life is impressive especially considering the 3G radio effect!

Awesome upgrade form iPhone 1!

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
sprintrjm I think u need to let your battery die out a few times. By the way I just received the 20% warning

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
3G kills my battery life...here's my typical usage.

Push = Enabled
3G = OFF
Wifi = On (15 feet from my router most of the day)
Bluetooth = OFF
Location Services = OFF
Calls = 5-10 minutes
Web = 5-10 minutes
Games = 5 minutes
Music = 30 minutes
Brightness = 20% (guestimate, above the "i" in "Brightness")
It was fully charged at 8:00 am
After 14 hours (10:00pm) and the phone is at 60% battery

Jul 31, 2008
took my phone off the charger yesterday around 9am. I made phone calls, checked and sent out text/emails and surfed the web yesterday and today. I still haven't hit the 20% battery indicator yet. Remember I took it off the charger yesterday at 9am. It's 7:15pm the next day now. My thing is that I let my phone die out completly before I charge it.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Ummm....is it me or has SoggyBiscuit's post already been posted? ..by BigCix?

HeavyD53

Jul 8, 2008
Missouri/Arizona
I don't understand the complaints about the battery life. I use mine all day and i have never had a problem.

i suppose im just one of the lucky ones, when i first got mine, i went home and let it charge on my laptop for 2 entire days.

Amahk

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
How long have you had your phone? I'm sure I am just preaching to the choir here but with EVERY electronic device I have/had I always unbox it and drain the battery down to zero before I ever plug it in to charge to 100%. I also follow a routine of draining the battery down to zero before I ever plug it back in to charge, and only let it charge for the amount of time it takes to become fully charged. Again, I know this is a basic routine followed by many, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I'm really happy you preached. I drained my battery last night till the phone shut off and the fully charged it while I slept. Great improvement from what it was yesterday when I purchased it and just charged it full. I'd thank you but I don't know how LOL

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge.

Extreme low voltage must also be prevented. The safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell.

If the cells have dwelled at 1.5V/cell and lower for a few days, however, a recharge should be avoided. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells, leading a partial or total electrical short. The cell becomes unstable. Charging such a battery would cause excessive heat and safety could not be assured.

Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.

Amahk

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.
Well that explains why after a full charge I can pull out the charger and then plug it back in and the battery is only 3/4 charged. Thanks

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Well that explains why after a full charge I can pull out the charger and then plug it back in and the battery is only 3/4 charged. Thanks
There is a 2 Stage Charge. 1st Fast then Trickle 2 Stage.

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
My battery is lasting about 24 hours with regular use. I don't live in a 3g area which really sucks so don't know why my battery doesn't last longer. I always drain my battery if possible but maybe this isn't the best thing to do. Maybe I should have it charging all the time.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I leave my 3g, wifi, bluetooth and location services on. I browse repeatedly during the day (3G), plus play 30 min of music each day and probably 15 minutes of phone calls per day. I browse at home on wifi. I have my brightness at about 60%. I get about 2 days like this. Playing games extensively will cut down significantly, which is something i don't do a lot, though.

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
re battery issues

Ok heres an update.

I fully drained my phone last night, then i fully charged it and took it off the charger at 2:00 am.

With absolutely no use or even sliding to unlock, i checked it 10 hours later and it was down 15%

I used it to check my email 3 times, no phone calls, no surfing. Its 2 hours later and its down to 40%

WTF, i have push turned off, the phone is set to sleep at the earliest setting, the brightness is at 35%, its set to check email every hour.

Should i be worried? or just deal with getting 1/2 day out of my phone max.

pps, i live in a great 3g area, no searching, with all 5 bars lit up.

paronoid in seattle.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Uh, yeah I'd be worried if I were you. Either you did something to screw up your battery like leave it in a very hot place, you're still doing something that is draining the battery while it's asleep, or you were given a phone with a defective battery.

Location Services and Bluetooth are off? Wifi is off (you definitely only need either Wifi or 3G on, never both)? I'd still turn auto-fetch completely off. Just check your e-mail as much as you want to manually. Why have it checking e-mail overnight while you're asleep when you can just check it in the morning as soon as you wake up?

You might want to try turning the phone off for a while. Sometimes the battery meter can get really messed up.

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
the batteries in these should lithium ion.

and these guys, when new need like a 3-5 recharge cycle until they are at their optimum performance.