Yet Another Leopard Issue

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yet Another Leopard Issue - Please help

OK, so I finally get around to installing Leopard on the MacBookPro. I put it in the disk, restart, it checks the DVD, and about half of the installation is done.

Then it just stops. I left the house for about 45 minutes, and when I got back, it was in the same place. I went up to the menu bar, and clicked "Mac OS X Installer", intending to quit the application. All this did was freeze it.

So I took the battery out, and put it back on. I turned the computer back on, and now the startup screen (gray screen with Apple logo) is just sitting there.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty screwed if I can't fix this tonight. There's a lot of important info on there.

EDIT: I got the disk out.

The computer restarted, and now it looks like Leopard got half-installed...

When it goes to the login screen, it asks me for a name and password, and when I try my account, it denies it. This is bad.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Sorry to say, but it's exactly what happened with my Dual G5 (the Intels - MacPro and MBP - eventually did fine). The installation stalled before it was completely done, the computer froze, and after a force-restart (and getting my DVD out of there), the Leopard screen came on, and on, and on, but it never went past the login/password stage. I ended up having to reinstall Tiger on the 2nd internal drive (which was empty), restart from there, wipe out the first internal drive with the incomplete Leopard, and lose most of that drive contents in the process (which wasn't such a big deal, because I have everything backed up on multiple drives).
So, Intel or not, I only can say: back up! :(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
OK.. So, I have no backup. But I'm confused. How did you reinstall Tiger without logging in? I pooped the Leopard disk back in, but nothing happened.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
OK.. So, I have no backup. But I'm confused. How did you reinstall Tiger without logging in? I pooped the Leopard disk back in, but nothing happened.
Just start from the install DVD. Put Tiger in, restart and hold the C key till the Apple comes on. The installer should see your MBP's drive, even if there's no working system on it. I would "archive and install" so you can keep all your stuff on it. You shouldn't have to log in.
Another thing you could do to try to install Leopard again is to connect your MBP to another Mac by their firewire ports and start the MBP in Target mode (hold the T key), so its HD mounts on the other Mac (I think you said you had only 50 GB on the MBP and you have a PPC), then transfer what you want to keep on that other Mac. Then restart the MBP from the install DVD (Leopard) and erase the HD before installing, then get your stuff back from the PPC onto the MBP.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Alright, I'll try that. If I can find my FireWire cable.

And I use an Intel MacMini, the PPC is just an old one sitting the basement.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry to hear about your problems guys. I guess I'm a lucky one, I upgraded yesterday on my Intel MBP and the whole process took about 1 hour.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Man, what is with leopard? I had a simular issue. I tried to install leopard, it started going and then went "Installation failed" and after that happened it rendered my Mac partition unbootable, unmountable with a terrible "Invalid Sibling Link" error. We are not the only one with installation issues and failures though, there are tons of forums on Apple's site about this same issue. Hopefully Apple releases some news on a fix. Now I don't know what to do. I'm in college across the country from my house with all my other computers, my disk warrior disk and my data rescue II. I'm going to try geordisjd's method on one of my graphic art computer labs. I'm stuck on my Window's partition. I wish you luck MacManPro. Hopefully we can get our data back. (I only have about 50% of my data backed up :( ) I'm scared to try it again when and if I do get my data. I probably will have to wipe my Mac partition.

Say MacManPro. Do you have 3rd party ram installed in your Macbook pro? I have 4 gigs in mine, third party. Apparently 3rd party ram is causing MAJOR issues with leopard. This is what I've found on a search for a fix. I will end up having to put my old ram in to successfuly install. Apparently all will go well after installation with your 3rd party ram. Knock on wood.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I had no issues on my Mac Mini.

I still haven't solved the issue. I tried to Install Tiger and Leopard, no dice. I called Apple, and I'm taking it in tomorrow.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
All is well here, but it took a lot of work to get it to work on Dual G5.
The Intels are happy.
Some guy who's an Apple developer told me he got 10.5.1 last night. Sounded very proud, but was unable to tell me what it did, so I'm not holding my breath. Probably some minor login/security issue.

mrarmbar22

Bronze
Aug 30, 2007
I had no issues on my Mac Mini. Smooth install, didn't even have the blue screen of death.

I still haven't solved the issue. I tried to Install Tiger and Leopard, no dice. I called Apple, and I'm taking it in tomorrow.
Mac Man,
Is your book set to the highest performance setting when you tried to install Leopard? I had the same issue but it worked once I set my computer to the optimum performance setting. Also, keep your laptop plugged in and DON'T let it go to sleep.
The laptop going to sleep is what caused this so make sure you keep moving your mouse every once and a while. Also, setting your laptop to optimum performance will speed up the install process.
TC

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No, going to sleep did not cause it. It didn't sleep in the entire process.

Apple has it now, and said I should have it back by tomorrow.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
No, going to sleep did not cause it. It didn't sleep in the entire process.

Apple has it now, and said I should have it back by tomorrow.
Leopard isn't as "smooth" as I was expecting it to be come update time.

It locked up my aluminum imac during the "Welcome" video, which really surprised me to be honest.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The welcome video disappointed me - It was just in a little Setup Assistant window. I wanted full screen.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The welcome video disappointed me - It was just in a little Setup Assistant window. I wanted full screen.
Well the music sounded cool. Is there any way to watch it again? Did a quick video search without luck, so I guess its part of something else.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well the music sounded cool. Is there any way to watch it again? Did a quick video search without luck, so I guess its part of something else.
Check

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for this, but it appears I'll get another chance to watch it again :( I'm taking back my 24" aluminum iMac for a 3rd replacement right now.

I can't even begin to explain how sad I am. That's right, I'm not furious I've wasted 72 hours on reinstalls, restores, upgrades and long calls to Apple support... I'm sad because if this next iMac continues to freeze like these first to have, my wife demands that I switch back to PC.

I have done every system update and have done every Apple support recommendation, but I just cannot stop randomly freezing.

It was so cool it was running all my PC programs perfectly through vmware. Its all I needed to keep that half of me satiated, sure gonna miss that.

Wish me luck, third time is a charm I hear.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Alright, I managed to sneak yet another exchange in... Yep, my 4th 24 inch aluminum imac... I'm dying for this one to work, the 3rd one was rock solid but... it had a dead pixel. Talk about bad luck.

Oh yeah I forgot why I was posting, thats right... Having seen the intro 3 times now, and heard it 4, I've noticed that the Leopard intro you linked has different music. Maybe thats what you hear when you have the full disc install back on launch. I've got the drop-in Leopard with these imacs. The seal was literally cut open so they could add the Leopard cd. Anyway, heres the music I hear, I actually like it a lot. I think its whats been possessing me to continue to seek out the perfect imac, or should I say one that just works...

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Did you watch the other videos? I love the laptop booting up in WindowsXP with nothing happening for 5 minutes, except the guys' feet coming on and off the screen, then the room's lights being turned off while it's still booting. Guess the guy gave up and went out to buy an iMac.
Hope your 4th iMac's the charm.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Did you watch the other videos? I love the laptop booting up in WindowsXP with nothing happening for 5 minutes, except the guys' feet coming on and off the screen, then the room's lights being turned off while it's still booting. Guess the guy gave up and went out to buy an iMac.
Hope your 4th iMac's the charm.
I just watched it actually, and it reminds me of why I'm in the midst of switching back to mac.

In all fairness, the computer they're booting XP on is rather archaic, kinda like trying to boot Leopard up on one of those macbooks that look like candy clamshells, or whatever predates those. Still, it does show off one of the problems that has been really bugging me about PC, and thats the whole Antivirus/Firewall/Spyware thing.

What it comes down to is having to buy a more powerful setup more often to minimize the system overhead of turning your PC into Fort Knox just to do a little web browsing. The downside to this is that if you don't upgrade to keep up with having a 400 meg virus definition list get cross referenced at every boot you're going to pay for it by waiting longer and longer to finally get into your PC and get down to businesss.

I've had to uninstall the antivirus/firewall software from my wife's PC because I noticed she stopped turning it off. When I asked her why she said it was because it took forever for it to load and she didn't want/need to use it anymore by the time it did load up. If all goes well on this 4th mac, we'll probably get her one too so I don't really care what happens to her PC at this point.

Now, if only Apple could just sell me a Mac that works I'd be one happy camper.