"Yo Window" on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dmoskaluk, Oct 27, 2013.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Simply an FYI to all .... ( who use a Yo Window weather display as a screensaver - an excellent product ) it does NOT work after update to Mavericks. You can select it ( assuming you have Yo Window aboard) but it will not work at all. Several people have posted this to Yo Window's forum, and have been advised that the fix may come in 2-4 weeks. If you enjoy Yo's display, consider holding off on doing the update until Yo confirms that the screensaver is now compatible. Apparently there are also major issues with "Quark” desktop publishing, but as I don't use it, I'm sure there are many qualified people to post on it ... David

Sent using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Good advice in general is to hold off on upgrading until you confirm all of your critical apps work. I almost updated my Mac mini which I use as an HTPC. I browsed the Plex (app) forums and found a number of people complaining about incompatibilities with Mavericks.

It's bound to happen. Most developers will fix stuff, but plenty of apps are left unsupported. That's when it really becomes a problem.

I remember Quark fondly. Haven't used it in about 10 years. Loved it!

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Hey Chris...

Irony is, that although I dived in on Mavericks ( I've only actually HAD the iMac since early Sept ) I still have iOS 6.1.3 on the 2 iPhones 4s, as well as my wife's iPad 2 and my Mini, for exactly the same reason ( glitches) . The Quark problems are not mine ( never used it, nor had reason to) and Yo is just a bit of fun frippery , and the screensaver is only a small part of the whole experience, so I'd say that my grief is truly trivial .
    Thanks for a great venue for all of us.... It is nice to see the majority of posters contributing in a positive way, quite a change and a breath of fresh air from many boards and forums purporting to do the same, but of course the end product is anything but !
    The only real reason I've held back in the iOS 7 is the many wifi complaints, as well as some laggyness, and the iMessage issues, and I'd say that for about 40% of each day, a little voice says "go for it" .... But ...... Maybe tomorrow :)). David

Sent using iCafe app