Yosemite and Pictures

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Alkali, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

My friends,
    I used to sync my pictures with iphoto via iTunes in between my Macbook Pro, iPad and my iPhone 6 without any issue.
    With Yosemite upgrade i can no longer do so and the option to use the new iphoto Application is not available for my country, the only option is to use iCloud between the devices.
    I enabled all my three devices to sync my photos but my pictures synced only between the Macbook and the iPad but iphone is left out, what did I missed in settings? Please help bail me out. I used same settings for all of them but I was left with few videos and pictures on the iPhone.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iPhone > Settings > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photo Library > On

You can still upload your photos directly to your Mac without iCloud. In addition to iCloud, you have two options with Macs:
    1. The Photos app (which isn't available in your country).
    2. Syncing the photos with Image Capture.

Image Capture works similar to photo syncing with a Windows PC. Here are the steps:

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB.
    2. Ignore iTunes.
    3. Open your Applications Folder and navigate to Image Capture.
    4. Click on your iPhone from the devices in the upper left.
    5. Go to lower left where it says "Connecting this iPhone opens" and switch to "Image Capture."
    6. Click "Import All" in the lower right.

1.png

3. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

I have checked and I found out that iCloud photo is checked on my iPhone but unchecked on the iPad and still synced with iCloud. Europa can I disable I cloud on both the iPad and iPhone and use the second option? Am I not going to loose my pictures and videos?

4. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

I have tried image Capture now but I cannot see 1) syncing to enable me have my iPad pictures,videos synchronized as well 2) My Videos are missing in image capture. I would be most grateful if I can be helped to use iCloud photos on all my devices that way I can view everything on any of them.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, you can disable it.
    No, you won't lose any media on the iPad or iPhone.
    1. Image Capture is not syncing them. It uploads them to the hard drive. If you remove them from the device after using Image Capture, they will still be on the computer. If you remove them from the device with iCloud syncing, they will disappear from iCloud. iCloud is a good way to be able to get access to them on every device, but it is a poor way to ensure that you can keep them forever.
    2. Did you select "Import" and then scroll through the imported folder to make sure they aren't somewhere out of order? These are videos you you took with the camera on the iPad, correct?

If you want to troubleshoot iCloud syncing, deselect it from each device, which will remove every picture from the cloud. After all of the iPhone photos are removed from the iPad and vice versa, toggle iCloud Photo Library back on on each device and wait for them to upload. It is buggy in my experience and I have had to do this a couple times to get all of the photos uploaded.

I don't trust my photos to iCloud. I also sync them to the computer. I have found that they will disappear from iCloud Photo Library if you restore and then you will be relying on your iCloud or iTunes backup. They should be synced to your hard drive and backed up with Time Machine if you really want to keep them safe.

6. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

I already have all on a folder as well as image viewer you mentioned. My golden fear is if deselect iCloud photos on each device isn't if deleting my pictures/ videos on all my devices?

7. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

No I think these pic/ videos are all from my iPhone which where synced during the time iTunes/iphoto where working.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They will not be removed from the device they were taken on. It's safe to disable iCloud Photo Library.

9. Alkali

Alkali Member
    Bronze

Then I am even more confused. Let's us say 1) I connect both my iPad and the iPhone to my computer and have my pictures stored through image viewer. 2) And then unchecked iCloud photo from all of them and check them back on, how can iCloud bring them all back to my devices?
    Alternatively is there a way to have them through all my devices like the old days while using iTunes. I am talking about syncing not storage.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can't sync folders through iTunes anymore.

Importing the photos is same as connecting a camera to the computer. It takes the photos that are on the camera or the phone and puts them on the computer's hard drive. You can then delete them from the camera or the phone and they will always be on the computer.

iCloud Library syncing is a new way to accessing photos, but since it's new it's still a little bit buggy. It puts them in the cloud. Once they are in the cloud, they are visible on all of your devices that are logged into the same account. When you disable iCloud Library syncing on the device that has uploaded pictures to the cloud, it removes those pictures from the cloud and they will no longer be visible on your other devices. Re-enabling it will put whatever is in the camera roll back in the cloud so the other devices can access them. You still should sync them to the computer if you use iCloud Library syncing as it is not optimal for longterm storage.