Yosemite bugs and issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by raqball, Oct 23, 2014.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina. I updated to Yosemite on release day and just about everything is fine and I love the new UI.

However, I have a few pesky bugs! I've factory reset twice via a USB restore stick and that did not solve the issues. Thinking my USB restore stick might be corrupted, I did another full install yesterday without using the USB restore stick..

Still the issues prevail.
    • WiFI randomly disconnects. I need to reboot in order to connect. 5ghz AC is my connection.
    • Swipe back and forward in Safari freezes the browser. This is random and does not happen all the time. The only way to unfreeze it is a reboot.
    • Safari lag.. Heck just scrolling this forum causes some intermittent shuddering.
    Thoughts, help and / or suggestions are welcomed.

#1 raqball, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I had Safari lag before Yosemite which is now why I'm using Chrome.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I never had any Safari lag with this machine on Mavericks..

On older MacBooks yes, but that was the horrible integrated graphics card (HD4000 I think it was) that was used on older Macbook's

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

from what I understand, Safari should be faster than ever, especially on newer models like Retinas.

Not sure about causes, but if safari freezes, you can try force quitting it from the cmd+alt+esc window. And if wifi won't reconnect, try turning it off and back on.

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Force closing Safari has no effect as I've tried that several times.. The only solution is a reboot...

Whats happens is when I swipe back or forward it freezes and you can see a portion (maybe 2 mm worth) of the previous or the next page.

Turning WiFi off and then back on it just stays greyed out. A reboot does solve the issue however...

Maybe posting this thread magically solved both issues as so far today, neither have reared their ugly heads (now I probably just jinxed myself). Safari still shudders even on text only pages but I can deal with that for now..

#5 raqball, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Not sure really but what you're describing is a bunch of bugs that I once had after upgrading to one of the previous OS X versions. The real problem actually had no relation to the install, instead it was a hard drive going bad. I spent many days on the phone with Apple Support and many restores later, we decided that it had to be hardware, not software. I took it to an Apple store and they diagnosed the bad hard drive quickly then replaced it and reloaded the OS for me. The best part is that it was under Apple Care and I didn't have to pay a dime on a three year old computer. (Just something to think about).

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I bought this a few weeks after it was released so it's only a few months old.. I suppose it could be the hard drive but everything was smooth on Mavericks..

It's been fine today so I will keep an eye on it.. No disconnects and no Safari page swipe freezes.. I do still have some shuddering in Safari though.

I thought it might have been adblock so I disabled that but still had the issue..

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's so weird how Apple's own browser is so unstable. I don't use Safari on my Mac and I haven't experienced any Yosemite oe Chrome problems, but I have had lots of mobile Safari problems on iOS since 7.0 came out.

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

So, you don't use Safari on your Mac? Chrome? Hmmmm. I am trying to transition to Mac from PC, with some difficulty. I was thinking Safari was the Answer!!!!
    Can't seem to get SMS to work with iOS 8.1 and Yosemite either. Hate to have switch back over to Windows!!

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been using Chrome for a few years. I used Firefox back when I still used Windows, so I started out with it on my first Mac in 2008. I have a couple websites that don't let me log in through Chrome occasionally, so I use Safari for them, but that's rare.

SMS works fine on my iMac. I just got messaging set up on it a couple days ago. I had it disabled the whole time I had Maveriks.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I think I have it on here somewhere. I will give it a try. Still don't know why iOS 8.1 won't show me how to forward texts. BTW. After last nights debacle. I woke up this morning, iPhone still connected and had the option of Upgrade or Restore. I chose Upgrade, and it went through its paces and finished without a hitch. The ISP disconnect must have prevented some verification stage and it corrected itself. Avoided a Restore. And I hope everyone had as good of a day as me!!!!!

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I do web development so I need to test in multiple browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari). After upgrading to Yosemite, Safari is running faster than in Mavericks. JavaScript also got a boost. However, I digress, I prefer Chrome for a desktop browser.

On iOS, I'm all about Safari.

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't used Chrome since I had a Chromebook Pixel..

Chrome, last I knew, was a serious resource HOG so I've avoided it like it has the plague..

I know on my Surface Pro 3 it drains the battery twice as fast as metro IE or at least that's what people are saying..

Edit to add:

WiFi disconnect and swipe freezes in Safari described in the 1st post appear to have magically resolved themselves..

No issues yesterday or this morning.. Odd...

#13 raqball, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I thought I had this problem licked but WiFi is still randomly disconnecting..

Swipe back and forward in Safari has been fine since I posted this thread and WiFi had been fine until this morning..

To the Apple Store I go, Macbook Pro in hand later today..

Edit to add:

After some research this appears to be a widespread issue

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601963?start=0&tstart=0

I am kind of surprised I am the only user here that has the problem but I will still head on over the Apple Store later today..

#14 raqball, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I'm going to file this one under 'How awesome is Apple'

I went in for my appointment and after a brief inspection he said he didn't want me to be without the Macbook and he was going to replace it with a brand new one.

But wait, it gets even better.. I had brought the box with me but left the charger and accessories at home. I only brought the box for transportation purposes.. When he said he was going to exchange it for a new one he looked in the box and saw I did not have the power cable but said that it was cool and that it didn't matter..

They updated the replacement Macbook to 10.10 in about 20 minutes (would have taken me much longer at home) and sent me on my merry way with a brand new rMBP and I now have an extra power cable and charger..

So far this one is MUCH better as far as shuddering goes, I've not yet had a WiFi issue and swipe back and forward is working fine.

Massive kudos to Apple. I can't think of any other company that would have done this..

16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is what I call excellent customer service and the icing on the cake is that they went above and beyond what they have to.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I convinced Apple a week ago to send me a iPhone sim card removal tool, but of course the first person was against it, then they sent me to senior person on the live chat. I wanted one as I never ever ever was sent one, and it was killing me every time to use a paper clip. That's risky.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I was a bit surprised.. I expected them to send it off and to be Macbook'less for a week or so. I purchased it about 45 days ago to replace my 2013 version of the same so it was well past the 14-days..

At 1st he said we would take the charger and cord from the new box and put it in the old box since I didn't have them with me but after he returned from the back area of the store he said it was no bid deal and I could just keep the old one as an extra.

I am always at this store and spend a ton of cash there so I don't know if that mattered.. Many of the employees who have worked their for a while know me by my 1st name..

Either way, I'm very pleased with Apple and I honestly don't think I've ever had this type of above and beyond service before..

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've noticed that since upgrading to OS X 10.10, the squircle that appears in the lower middle of the screen when
    • the BlueTooth mouse or keyboard connection is established or lost
    • you raise/lower the volume
    • you increase/decrease the screen brightness
    is funky. The areas in the corners are black. They should be transparent.

Incidentally, I am not using Dark Mode. Not that that would justify the flaw.

connected.jpg

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

i heard that only happens with retina macs, and has been an issue since the betas. odd they haven't corrected it yet.