Yosemite fails to acknowledge Time Capsule connected via the Ethernet port

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not a huge fan of backing up my computer... I usually perform a backup every couple of months.

Tonight I decided a backup was overdue, so I plugged the power cord into my Time Capsule (1 TB, Early 2008 AKA first generation). This is how I've always done it, and I've never had a problem—until today. This is the first backup I'm going to perform since installing Yosemite.

I Googled around a bit, and found this thread at the Apple Support Communities.

No one has been able to provide a solution there, but the thread was only created two days ago. I figured it can't hurt to post the question here as well.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you so much for looking up those steps for me. I followed them, but no luck. The TC appears to go through the motions of resetting, but the iMac appears not to recognize that a cable is plugged into the Ethernet port:

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.02.45 AM.png
    I would be worried sick that my TC finally died were it not for the fact that the person who started the thread at the Apple Support Communities appears to have experienced the same sequence of events that I did: Ethernet port working fine under Mavericks, upgrade to Yosemite, then the Ethernet port is no longer recognized. I'm going to submit a bug report to Apple and I'll be hoping that 10.10.1 or 10.10.2 fixes the issue.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

UPDATE: This issue has been resolved. A friend of mine in Miami is a very competent IT guy, he specializes in Windows but always seems to resolve just about anything OS X throws at me that I can't resolve on my own.

In case anyone else experiences this issue, here's how it was resolved on my setup. My friend had me click on Advanced... Then he had me go into the TCP/IP tab, and had me click on Renew DHCP Lease. This did not immediately solve the issue. In fact, I told him, "Nope, no luck." I was about to power down my iMac for the night when somehow I suddenly realized that the TC's name was on the left sidebar of the Finder window (the "Favorites" sidebar), not under "Devices" where my external HD appears, but under "Shared." The TC had responded, albeit with a five-minute delayed response. I proceeded to make a backup of my iMac. I let it happen overnight, as the estimated time given was approximately six hours.