Yosemite Public Beta 1 is now available for download

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
What about installing it on a virtual machine? I think that would work and eliminate the need for a second partition.
That question came up on another forum but it was never answered so I wanted to play it safe.

edit: looks like somebody did attempt it.

"Not in a Parallels Desktop VM. After rebooting you get stuck at a Darwin Bootloader. No way forward, only back to Mavericks."

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Finally installed. So far so good. I'm loving the dark theme. I wish they would implement it where we want and not just the dock and menu bar.

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 7.24.59 PM.png

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I just got the email for the beta test too. I run parallels and windows 8 as a virtual machine but don't have bootcamp installed. I'm hesitant about installing it now. I don't really want to install everything again. I might load it on my other iMac that I don't use. (though it defeats the purpose of actually getting the beta).

Just FYI, if you want to install it later, when it's finished downloading, before you click install, browse through finder for applications/install OSX Beta. Right click on it, choose show contents. Go into the contents folder, then the shared support folder. Right click, or control click the file InstallESD.dmg and choose copy, then close finder and right click on the desktop and choose paste. You will have a clean install file of OSX Yosemite that you can install at your leisure. (Then you can cancel the installer). :)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yahoo messenger obviously isn't updated. That's unfortunate. I've tried alternatives but they aren't connecting to my account.

Besides that, I haven't seen any issues yet.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just got the email for the beta test too. I run parallels and windows 8 as a virtual machine but don't have bootcamp installed. I'm hesitant about installing it now. I don't really want to install everything again. I might load it on my other iMac that I don't use. (though it defeats the purpose of actually getting the beta).

Just FYI, if you want to install it later, when it's finished downloading, before you click install, browse through finder for applications/install OSX Beta. Right click on it, choose show contents. Go into the contents folder, then the shared support folder. Right click, or control click the file InstallESD.dmg and choose copy, then close finder and right click on the desktop and choose paste. You will have a clean install file of OSX Yosemite that you can install at your leisure. (Then you can cancel the installer). :)
Thanks for the tip.

Can't you use Boot Camp Assistant?

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
That question came up on another forum but it was never answered so I wanted to play it safe.

edit: looks like somebody did attempt it.

"Not in a Parallels Desktop VM. After rebooting you get stuck at a Darwin Bootloader. No way forward, only back to Mavericks."
I have a copy of VMware Fusion through my school. I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 on it, but I wonder how It would handle Yosemite.

I haven't used Parallels or Boot Camp before.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I haven't ran into any bugs yet. Maybe because I did a clean install. I don't even have iPhoto installed. Some are claiming that it somehow corrupts the main partition if you created a separate partition for Yosemite and attempting to delete the Yosemite partition will not resolve it. My fingers are crossed, knocked on wood, salt thrown over shoulder.