You bought an iPhone, but would you buy it again?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums. I was on the fence about buying an iPhone. I actually did some research, bought one, held on to it for two days, did not open the package, then returned it after further review.

I would like to know everyone's opinion. Knowing the phone isn't 3G, and doensn't record video (which some free phones can do), and knowing that they are trying to disable your phone if it's been jailbroken, and knowing that these issues will most likely be fixed in future generations of the iPhone, would you buy this unit again. Also, would you buy it again, since it's not really as compatible with a lot of apps such as a phone running windows mobile?

The iPhone has the cool factor, it's sexy, it's screen flip around all flashy like, it's cool that you can stretch the browser etc...but that's all really smoke and mirrors. I'm not talking about actual functionality.

2nd generations of anything are usually better than the first when it comes to technology. I just want to get the view point from people who own them and are using them.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
I think the stuff that you are referring to as smoke and mirrors are actually a lot more useful than you think. The iPhone already has a lot of productivity oriented features. And all the animations and stuff really do help out the overall experience of the device, which in my opinion is extremely important. Apple's elegant, simple, and sleek interface saves you time, just try to use a windows mobile 6 PDA! You will know what I am talking about then. And I find the browser stretch a very useful feature. If you always wait around for second gen then things aren't as fun and you don't get the device for a long time. I would definitely buy again in a heartbeat.

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Ok...what do you think of the speed of the EDGE network, compared to have a 3G phone?

I think the stuff that you are referring to as smoke and mirrors are actually a lot more useful than you think. The iPhone already has a lot of productivity oriented features. And all the animations and stuff really do help out the overall experience of the device, which in my opinion is extremely important. Apple's elegant, simple, and sleek interface saves you time, just try to use a windows mobile 6 PDA! You will know what I am talking about then. And I find the browser stretch a very useful feature. If you always wait around for second gen then things aren't as fun and you don't get the device for a long time. I would definitely buy again in a heartbeat.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's one of the best tech devices I've bought in a long time and it's done everything I need it to do and more. I've used nearly every feature on the darn thing.

I'm right there with ya.

I would buy it again, for sure. I'll probably end up buying the iPhone 2, iPhone 3 and iPhone whatevercomesdownthepikelateroninlife. :)

Sure there are a few things that I miss from my old Treo, but all in all it's the right phone for me. The missing items will come with time. I guess I'm the odd man out, since I'm kinda looking forward to what comes next. Not in a "Steve Jobs better get on the stick" kind of way as much as a "Cool..new stuff to play with" way. (If that makes any sense)

Used to be a big hassle carrying around the Ipod everyday. Most times I'd forget it and miss out on timely downloads of podcasts. Now I've got it all in my pocket at any given time. I rarely use the cell phone, but its one of those things you have to have. It's the proverbial "killing two birds with one stone" kind of device for me.

Surfing on the Treo was clunky and not very good (IMO) Now I find myself (at home) surfing more on the iPhone, than I do the regular PC. Yeah, edge may be slow but, I get better speed than I do on dial-up, that's for sure. Video playback, or any media playing on the Treo was sorely lacking. I also like that I can hook the iPhone up in the car and listen as I cruise down the highway. Makes a long drive home, more enjoyable.

Yes, all in all I'd say that I'm REALLY happy with the iPhone and have yet to become bored with it. I use it every day and still love it to death! :)

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Ok...what do you think of the speed of the EDGE network, compared to have a 3G phone?
Never had a 3g phone so I can't compare. This is the first time I have gotten a data plan so I am just happy that I have any sort of mobile internet. I haven't gotten to the point where I am picky about it :). I can't complain just because of how useful it is for me. But honestly most of the places I go have free wifi, college, home, work.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd do it again in a heartbeat. No complaints, here.

And, with the 1.1.1 update, it shows that Apple can radically enhance this phone through software. I look forward to whatever comes next.

It's a new paradigm. With other cell phones, you get what you buy when you buy them. To get an enhanced phone, you needed to buy new hardware.

With the iPhone, I already have an enhanced phone (wireless iTunes, ringtones, customizeable home button, etc.) and I haven't had to invest in new hardware. That's better on the environment, too.

I can't complain.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
And, with the 1.1.1 update, it shows that Apple can radically enhance this phone through software. I look forward to whatever comes next.
Wow, same planet, different worlds. Radical enhancement are not even close to the words I'd use to describe this update.

No, I wouldn't buy it if I knew what I know now. It's not just about the lack of features or the endless bugginess, it's also Apple's attitude about fixing either problem vs it's obsession with locking down the phone and squeezing more money from us.

I'm quite with Mike, not another dime.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I would for sure. Especially at the new $399 price. There's no doubt. Honestly, as crazy as it sounds, I really like the iPhone, but I think I'm going to get another GSM phone that is unlocked to use certain times as well. As long as the SIM can be used in another phone, which I've heard that is does.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I bought 2 of them one for me and one for the wife, as well as paid a $175 per phone cancellation fee from T-Mobile a couple days after iDay.

Would i do it again? YOUR DAMN RIGHT I WOULD!
Bless your hearts. This is why I might sell my iPhone, but not my Apple stock. :)

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I'd buy again. Very happy after 3 weeks. I have settled into my "routine" with the phone. No more showing it off, using it for no reason, and I have a charge schedule. Sunday night, Tuesday night, and thursday night.

My only wish, is that i didn't have to use iTunes. I miss windows media 11.

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Ok another question. Out of those of you that love it the phone, are you mac userse or PC users?

The two so far that would not buy the phone again, are you mac users, or pc users.

Again, thanks for the responses, this is very helpful. If I decide to re-buy the iPhone in the future, I will definitely use this site as a source to learn all the in's, out's, positives, negatives, how to unlock, should I unlock, that there is to know about the iPhone.

In fact I'll hang around for a bit and research, because I find it very interesting. This is definitely the first phone that has caused this much buzz and controversy. It's like having a video game with cheat codes, or special parts of the game that you have to figure out how to unlock. It seems that there is hours of research I could here about different customizations that can be done.

fright88

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I love my iPhone but if I had known what I know now I would wait till they release the phone with GPS simply because it is much smaller then my portable GPS

Sep 24, 2007
I would buy it again as well.

Someone asked how this phone compares speed wise with a 3g phone. Two weeks before the iPhone price drop I went an upgraded from my old razor to the razor2 which was my first 3g phone. I thought that phone looked nice and had some great features but for whatever reason seemed much slower online than the iPhone. Maybe its the area I live in (philly) but my iPhone moves as fast if not faster than the 3g razor2 I had for a few weeks. In fact after two weeks of use and a price only 100.00 below the iPhone I figured I was better getting the iPhone.