You can keep the 3G iPhone if you immediately cancel your contract with AT&T, right?

CowboYZ

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Florida
This is how sellers on eBay have them, correct? I'm a bit confused, can I actually keep the iPhone 3G if I cancel my account within 30 days?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
No, when you signed your contract it said if you cancel in the first 30 days, you have to give them the phone back. And after 30 days, you have to pay the early termination fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

CowboYZ

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Florida
no, when u signed your contract it said if u cancel in the first 30 days, u have to give them the phone back. and after 30 days, u have to pay the early termination fee
Then how are users on eBay able to sell theirs?

EDIT:
dcom said:
Paying all the fees and profiting from the $600+ they got for the phone.
I don't understand.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Yes, basically.

They still make a bit of profit after all the fees because they sell the phone for so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Then how are users on eBay able to sell theirs?

EDIT:

I don't understand.
There are a couple of ways to do this. 1) Buy the phone w/o the contract for the full price (not sure what that is but it's like $399 and $499 for the 8 or 16Gig) then sell it on eBay. 2) Buy the phone, sign the contract. Pay the first month and any connect fees. Cancel the the contract, pay the termination fee. Sell the phone. I'm not sure what the contract says if you cancel before the first 15 days because I read somewhere that you have to return the phone in that time. I don't know if paying the first month gets you out of having to return it or not.

CowboYZ

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Florida
There are a couple of ways to do this. 1) Buy the phone w/o the contract for the full price (not sure what that is but it's like $399 and $499 for the 8 or 16Gig) then sell it on eBay. 2) Buy the phone, sign the contract. Pay the first month and any connect fees. Cancel the the contract, pay the termination fee. Sell the phone. I'm not sure what the contract says if you cancel before the first 15 days because I read somewhere that you have to return the phone in that time. I don't know if paying the first month gets you out of having to return it or not.
Well what if you go to AT&T to cancel your contract because you lost the iPhone 3G?

And on a listing on eBay, the seller said the iPhone 3G was purchased from an Apple Store in NY.

EDIT:

Doesn't matter where it was purchased, you still have to sign an AT&T contract at the point of sale.
Yeah, but obviously this seller has worked out some plan to be able to sell iPhone 3G

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Well what if you go to AT&T to cancel your contract because you lost the iPhone 3G?

And on a listing on eBay, the seller said the iPhone 3G was purchased from an Apple Store in NY.
Doesn't matter where it was purchased, you still have to sign an AT&T contract at the point of sale.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
what most of them are doing is really simple. buy an iPhone for the unsubsidized price of 399 for 8gb or 499 16gb. since they are paying the full price they are able to walk out of the store with their box brand new and unopened. since they payed the higher price they arnt required to activate it in the store.

then they list it on ebay, and sell it for more than they bought it for. its simple!

ps, don't be fooled by what you see on ebay. if you click on the bids, you can see who has been bidding on the phone. if you notice, a lot of times there are bidders with ZERO feedback. this most likely means that the seller made a fake ebay account, and is bidding on his own item to increase the price. a lot of times when they end at high prices, its the seller really just winning his own item because someone didn't outbid his high bid

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
sorry if this is too off-topic, but...

cowboyz, do you mind not editing your posts with quotes from further down the thread? its really confusing to read a quote that appears after your post.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
what most of them are doing is really simple. buy an iPhone for the unsubsidized price of 399 for 8gb or 499 16gb. since they are paying the full price they are able to walk out of the store with their box brand new and unopened. since they payed the higher price they arnt required to activate it in the store.
No, that's still not possible. Even if you buy one at the unsubsidized price, you are still required to activate it in the store before leaving and agree to a 2-year contract.

AT&T has said they will start selling the 3G iPhone without a 2-year contract at higher prices, but they have not said when they will start doing that. Regardless, I think they will still require you to activate it in the store on a month-to-month plan before leaving.

Given the activation problems they had on release day, I was able to leave the Apple store with my 3G iPhone unactivated and still wrapped in its box. They still took my AT&T account information at the store, verified that I was eligible for upgrade pricing, and probably made a note that I purchased one so they could track to make sure I activated it. My guess is that the people selling theirs on eBay somehow got out of the store without activating theirs either and are getting out of their contracts somehow...

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
sorry but your somewhat wrong.

when you go into Apple store, if you are eligible for an upgrade, or a new att user you can get the cheaper subsidized price of $199 8gb, $299 16gb. if you do this, since you are getting the phone for cheaper, you are REQUIRED to sign a 2 year contract. if they let you leave the store without activating (like in your case) they put a note on your account so they can ensure that the phone gets activated and your account gets a new 2 year contract (since you bought it for the cheaper price). now this is information we all know by now...

if you go into Apple store, and buy the phone for its FULL and UNsubsidized price, which has already been announed, of $399 8gb, $499 16gb, THEY WILL NOT REQUIRE ACTIVATION. you will walk in, pay that full price, and walk out with no other information required. since you payed the full price for the phone, they CANNOT require a 2 year contract. WHY WOULD YOU SIGN A 2 YEAR CONTRACT FOR THEM, IF YOU PAID FULL PRICE?

No, that's still not possible. Even if you buy one at the unsubsidized price, you are still required to activate it in the store before leaving and agree to a 2-year contract.

AT&T has said they will start selling the 3G iPhone without a 2-year contract at higher prices, but they have not said when they will start doing that. Regardless, I think they will still require you to activate it in the store on a month-to-month plan before leaving.

Given the activation problems they had on release day, I was able to leave the Apple store with my 3G iPhone unactivated and still wrapped in its box. They still took my AT&T account information at the store, verified that I was eligible for upgrade pricing, and probably made a note that I purchased one so they could track to make sure I activated it. My guess is that the people selling theirs on eBay somehow got out of the store without activating theirs either and are getting out of their contracts somehow...

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
update. just got off of the phone with att. i might have been a bit wrong.

if you buy at the full unsubsidized price, you are still required for a 2 year contract.

so i bought my iPhone 3g on iday, i sold it. now when i go to buy a new one, i pay the full price, and my 2 year contract will just start over again.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
blahhh, now i spoke to another person and got different information.

399/499 price in an early upgrade price. which means theres a window, if you are close to contract end you can be eligible for that price. this att guy said that the no commitmant price has yet to be determined...

so the only way to sell iPhones, is to sign up for a new att account, buy the phone. and cancled the serive and pay ETF

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
update. just got off of the phone with att. i might have been a bit wrong.
A bit wrong? Yeah, just a bit. :rolleyes:

Straight from AT&T's website, emphasis mine: "You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB."

But way to go off on me and tell me I'm wrong when the information is right on AT&T's site...

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
blahhh, now i spoke to another person and got different information.

399/499 price in an early upgrade price. which means theres a window, if you are close to contract end you can be eligible for that price. this att guy said that the no commitmant price has yet to be determined...

so the only way to sell iPhones, is to sign up for a new att account, buy the phone. and cancled the serive and pay ETF
I think that last bit was a standard line. I don't think AT&T has communicated the true details to all their reps.

sgrizzle

Jul 17, 2008

Straight from AT&T's website, emphasis mine: "You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB."

But way to go off on me and tell me I'm wrong when the information is right on AT&T's site...
macgirl is correct. If someone left the store without agreeing to a two-year contract, then they stole the phone.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007

Can you say iPhowned? :p

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
"sorry but your somewhat wrong. "

i don't think that qualifies as 'going off on you' . and did i not report immeidately afterwards correcting my information and admiting i was wrong...

i blame this on the att morons for giving out different information all of the time! ha

now my question is... how do you get eligible for early upgrade price? one guy said i could walk in now and restart my contract (basically saying that anyone could do it at any time and it will just restart your contract)

another rep told me there was a certain 'window' of time that you are available for it.