You think it wil work?

Jul 10, 2007
I had an idea. but donno it will work or not. Please give me some feedback.

I just go to any cell phone store and activate a new 39.99 plan w/ free NEW phone. (Then sell my new phone on ebay to cover the cost of the iPhone.) Then transfer my existing plan to my iPhone. The only downside is I need to pay 2 times activation fee ($36). U guy think this will work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Are You Serious?

I just go to any cell phone store and activate a new 39.99 plan w/ free NEW phone. (Then sell my new phone on ebay to cover the cost of the iPhone.) Then transfer my existing plan to my iPhone. The only downside is I need to pay 2 times activation fee ($36). U guy think this will work?
Do you really think that the free phone, that they give you. Can turn around and be sold for anywhere near the price of the iPhone? If you find someone stupid enough to buy a giveaway phone for 600 bucks. Heck, why stop there, sell them the Brooklyn Bridge also...M

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2007
blackjack?

I donno about u. but i just got a blackjack for free and just sign up a $39.99 plan. and w/o any data plan for 2 years. How much do you think a brand new blackjack can sell? I think if i can not cover the whole iPhone cost, but maybe 1/2 of it?

Do you really think that the free phone, that they give you. Can turn around and be sold for anywhere near the price of the iPhone? If you find someone stupid enough to buy a giveaway phone for 600 bucks. Heck, why stop there, sell them the Brooklyn Bridge also...M

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Good Luck Raising iPhone Money

I donno about u. but i just got a blackjack for free and just sign up a $39.99 plan. and w/o any data plan for 2 years. How much do you think a brand new blackjack can sell? I think if i can not cover the whole iPhone cost, but maybe 1/2 of it?
The Blackjack is outdated and on it's way out. Remember, they gave it to you free, that is why. I doubt that you can get 50 bucks for that phone. But hey, there's a sucker born every minute. You might just be lucky enough to find one...Good Luck, Mark

Jul 10, 2007
Well! If you said blackjack is a out dated phone. then i can tell you, iPhone is out dated too. They made and design this phone few years ago and a lot of phone had more better feature then iPhone. so is iPhone a outdated phone too?

The Blackjack is outdated and on it's way out. Remember, they gave it to you free, that is why. I doubt that you can get 50 bucks for that phone. But hey, there's a sucker born every minute. You might just be lucky enough to find one...Good Luck, Mark

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
the Blackjack is not really an outdated phone. It is just a low end smartphone similar to the Motorola Q. You will come nowhere near covering the cost of your iPhone with a sale of the Blackjack on ebay. The going price on ebay is $200 give or take a few dollars. Then you have the ebay insertion fee and final value fee plus cost of shippping. I'd expect to net give or take $190-200 for the phone. I just sold my sprint Moto Q for $240 on ebay and Treo 755p for around $360, so yes you can make some money on ebay towards an iPhone's cost, but don't expect to just pay for your iPhone through selling another phone-you will be disappointed.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

iPhonian
Not only that, but I'm pretty sure you will need to add another 2 year contract for getting the iPhone which I don’t think AT&T will let you do if you just recently signed up for a new contract. Remember that the reason you got the free phone was probably because you signed up for a 2 year or 1 year contract. In order to activate your iPhone you will need to sign up for a two year contract. People seem to overlook this minor detail for some reason.

Jul 10, 2007
Well! i don't think so. What I think a existing customer is an existing customer no matter how long you have the service. If what you say is true, then how many months the existing customer can switch to iPhone? I did not get iPhone for free. I just switch phone and add the data service.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
the Blackjack is not really an outdated phone. It is just a low end smartphone similar to the Motorola Q. You will come nowhere near covering the cost of your iPhone with a sale of the Blackjack on ebay. The going price on ebay is $200 give or take a few dollars. Then you have the ebay insertion fee and final value fee plus cost of shippping. I'd expect to net give or take $190-200 for the phone. I just sold my sprint Moto Q for $240 on ebay and Treo 755p for around $360, so yes you can make some money on ebay towards an iPhone's cost, but don't expect to just pay for your iPhone through selling another phone-you will be disappointed.
Wow, I am really surprised at what you sold the Moto Q for. I have one that I only used for three weeks (Hated It). I might look to ebay to sell mine. The cell companies are practically giving that phone away. I was sure it was worth nothing. Like I said though, a sucker is born every moment. So I'm going to sell my Moto Q also. Great info, thanks. M

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Well! i don't think so. What I think a existing customer is an existing customer no matter how long you have the service. If what you say is true, then how many months the existing customer can switch to iPhone? I did not get iPhone for free. I just switch phone and add the data service.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Im not saying that the iPhone is for free. He said "a new 39.99 plan w/ free NEW phone" That's what I meant when I said free phone. Not that the iPhone is free. Usually when you get to have FREE PHONES you have to sign a two year contract. So on top of having a two year contract because he wanted a FREE PHONE he would have to sign another 2 year contract to and activate the iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Wow, I am really surprised at what you sold the Moto Q for. I have one that I only used for three weeks (Hated It). I might look to ebay to sell mine. The cell companies are practically giving that phone away. I was sure it was worth nothing. Like I said though, a sucker is born every moment. So I'm going to sell my Moto Q also. Great info, thanks. M
no prob man. The Q for some reason is still a phone in high demand. Sure it looks good but I just could not get past the battery life or constant freezes! The reason they are fetching so much more on ebay is because people who are already in a contract cannot get them for the $99 upgrade or new customer price. they have to pay the full retail which used to be around $400-I'm sure it's still somewhere around there. So if they want it that bad, or if they are like me and like to switch phones every few months, then it's not that bad a deal.

I think my days of switching phones every few months are over however-I'll keep the iPhone for my full contract term or until a newer version of the iPhone comes out.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
so is it possible i sign up for a contract to get a new phone or to chip in $$ for a phone and just pawn it or keep it and then just buy my own iPhone and use the same contract adding a data plan and the activation fee? is that possible?:confused:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
so is it possible i sign up for a contract to get a new phone or to chip in $$ for a phone and just pawn it or keep it and then just buy my own iPhone and use the same contract adding a data plan and the activation fee? is that possible?:confused:
Yes you can do that, get a free phone from them 1st then later switch the number to your new iPhone. AT&T is locking you in for two years, you might as well get something out of them..M

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
Im not saying that the iPhone is for free. He said "a new 39.99 plan w/ free NEW phone" That's what I meant when I said free phone. Not that the iPhone is free. Usually when you get to have FREE PHONES you have to sign a two year contract. So on top of having a two year contract because he wanted a FREE PHONE he would have to sign another 2 year contract to and activate the iPhone.
couldn't you just get the plan and a free phone then purchase your iPhone at a Apple store grab that sim insert it add that data plan and activation fee?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
couldn't you just get the plan and a free phone then purchase your iPhone at a Apple store grab that sim insert it add that data plan and activation fee?
The iPhone only works with the sim that comes with the iPhone. The iPhone sim works with other phones but somehow they made it to where the iPhone is not compatible with sims from any other phone.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
The iPhone only works with the sim that comes with the iPhone. The iPhone sim works with other phones but somehow they made it to where the iPhone is not compatible with sims from any other phone.
uhh then don't switch the sim over just add the iPhone to that existing plan you got even if that existing plan you got was like just yesterday couldn't you do that?

Jul 10, 2007
what r u guys talking about. I switch my existing cim card to iPhone w/out any problem. u can just take out the iPhone sim card an dput in your existing ATT sim card. the itune will automatic detect u are existing customer and u just need to ad the service plan.

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
I'm in the process of this method. I just got my new AT&T plan on my new Blackjack today. Tomorrow I buy my iPhone and see what happens. I'll let everyone know how it goes. If this works, I stand to get the 8GB model for roughly $350. This includes all of the taxes and both activations fee's as well. This is also after selling my Verizon RAZR which I switched to for free a few weeks before my contract expired.

If anyone else is attempting to switch to AT&T on a different phone (non-iphone), resell it, and apply the money toward an iPhone, watch out for these contractual stipulations from cell phone retailers:

1) They won't allow you to port your number. Sometimes this just means from an existing AT&T plan (which makes total sense), but other times they mean any other carrier, which is not exactly fair. You'll have to get a new number on your new AT&T plan to get the phone discount. I personally don't understand this, because you're still signing up for a new 2 year contract, who cares what the phone number is?

2) They require a data plan or high priced text messaging plan. Sometimes this is pretty easy to spot, other times it's in the fine print. Usually you have to keep the data plan for a minimum of 6 months, which will just end up costing you more than you're trying to save.

3) Beware of Mail-In rebates. Read the rebate form before you make a purchase decision. Sometimes they'll throw something in the fine print there.

4) They won't let you transfer the equipment. This means that the new discounted phone you just got can't be resold or used with a different SIM card for a period of time (usually 6 months).

Just be careful. I'm still not 100% sure this is going to work. Truthfully though, I just got to a point where I decided there's no turning back. I just want an iPhone already! I'm not doing this because I'm cheap, or because I don't have $600. For me, it's the principal of the thing. If I'm signing up for a 2 year contract, I should be getting something for it. There isn't a single phone on any carrier that doesn't get discounted with a new 2 year plan except for the iPhone. Why should I (as a new, switched customer) have to pay the same price as someone who isn't upgrading their contract?

Plus the fact that I had to wait for my Verizonopoly contract to expire, giving me time to devise this sinister plan.