"You too got an iPhone?"

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Let me say right off the bat that I mean no offense to anyone by this post but with the jaw dropping weekend sales figures for the iPhone, you'll agree with me that it's only a question of time before it becomes as ubiquitous the RAZR. Soon we'll have expressions like "Opinion is like an iPhone - everybody....".

Although I would not consider myself an early adopter of the iPhone, I came early enough to the party and got my fair share of 15 minutes fame, looks of envy, admiration and downright hero worship. I'm sure some of you, like me, soon lost count of questions like "Can I touch it?" (Insert your own ribald response here).

I have no problem with everyone and their (again, insert your own noun here) owning or using an iPhone. I see it only as a validation of my own sense of good taste. (Yeah, right!). However, it is also human nature to conform by being different - a contradiction in terms, but nonetheless, undeniable. I once saw an iPhone laced with rhinestones! Me? I went over to the dark side - jailbroke my iPhone and installed several apps the likes of which may never be allowed in the Apple Store. Now I'm a-theme-a-day iPhone user and the looks of envy and admiration have not stopped. Naturally. :cool:

So what have you done or intend to do to your iPhone to set yourself apart from the heard?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I intend to enjoy my phone to its fullest extent. For me, right now, that means staying 1.1.4 jailbroken... but I'm very intrigued by the appstore.

However, I'm not so concerned with everyone having an iPhone. In fact, I love it. Two of my good friends got 3G's this weekend, and I have several others following soon. This just means less SMS and more email with pictures. Awesome.

I bought the phone as a tool, not a status symbol. May everyone in the world have such great tools.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
My V1 iPhone was jailbroken pretty much from Day 1 and I loved switching themes regularly and using a lot of the excellent JB apps.

With 2.0 out now though, I feel like I may not bother with jailbreak anymore. I have never been worried about how different or not my iPhone is from anyone else's. For me, the exclusivity factor has never mattered much at all - what has captivated me is the idea of the iPhone as a full-on mobile computing platform, and seeing that it is the first mobile device that really lives up to that billing.

Having said that, I think the number one way to 'stand out' is in how you use the iPhone, what apps you run, how they help you in your job, or just to have fun, or accomplsh whatever it is you want to accomplish with an incredibly powerful device ....

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
yes it makes me sad, i bought iPhone on day 1 and reactions were really amazing and fun to hear. Having a $600 phone that not many had was a good feeling, now iam using a $200 phone that every spoiled rich kid and average joe will have in a matter of months.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have never been worried about how different or not my iPhone is from anyone else's. For me, the exclusivity factor has never mattered much at all - what has captivated me is the idea of the iPhone as a full-on mobile computing platform, and seeing that it is the first mobile device that really lives up to that billing.
That's exactly how I feel. I really enjoy my iPhone and find it to be my "lifeline" in communicating with others and staying on top of everything going on in my life. I couldn't care less if everyone else in the world had an iPhone - it wouldn't change how much use I get out of mine.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
yes it makes me sad, i bought iPhone on day 1 and reactions were really amazing and fun to hear. Having a $600 phone that not many had was a good feeling, now iam using a $200 phone that every spoiled rich kid and average joe will have in a matter of months.
Unless theirs some kind of family plan Im not sure the kids will be having them. . .cause most (rich)"kids" are gonna want unlimited voice or unlimited text and data and we all know that its gonna cost $130+ a month which is outrageous for me atleast:sick:
-So even though the iPhone will begin to become more common, it wont turn into a razr THATS FOR SURE:laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Since I got the iPhone 3G I am going to keep my v1 running on Jailbroken 1.1.4 and keep my full customization. I have my themes, my apps, my preferences, everything perfect. I doubt that I will dabble much into the Jailbroken 2.0 world depending on how awesome the possibilities are.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Sorry to sidetrack my own thread...
@PDS: Are those faces on your back or muscles? Either way, nice definition. I pump iron too, so I know what it must have taken to get them cut like that!

Now back to topic...

EDIT: OMG! I just made Zea lot with this post! Chris, let down the confetti..."One small step for mankind, one giant...." ...or is it the other way around? I'm so stoked, y'all!

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Hey, try living in Iowa. I swear, no one has an iPhone here. None of my friends have one, none of my 90 co-workers have one. No one in my family has one. I've never seen them as a status symbol. I'm a cellphone junkie, not an Apple junkie. ;)

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
When I did my DFO yesterday in the AT&T store, there were these two little brats in there around 15 years old all fussy ordering the iPhone as well with their dad. He was wearing a dumb golfer's outfit and his two little girls were jumping with joy.

I don't mind a lot of people getting the iPhone, I just don't want it to become the next RAZR/Sidekick combo.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Sorry to sidetrack my own thread...
@PDS: Are those faces on your back or muscles? Either way, nice definition. I pump iron too, so I know what it must have taken to get them cut like that!

Now back to topic...

EDIT: OMG! I just made Zea lot with this post! Chris, let down the confetti..."One small step for mankind, one giant...." ...or is it the other way around? I'm so stoked, y'all!
Thanks man :laugh2:
-Im sure your stats greatly surpass mine ;)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Come on man post a pic :laugh2:
-Or are you saving your pics until your reveal?

What really sucks is the day before I got my puma's dirty, so my jeans didn't look to well the jordans I am wearing in the first pic, also notice that my jeans ripped :(
-I hit my friend in the balls and then he grabbed me and we started wrestling and stuff and after he submitted my $98.70 dollar jeans were ripped!

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Come on man post a pic :laugh2:
-Or are you saving your pics until your reveal?
Ha...the reveal...Although I'm a bit of a "show and tell" kind of guy, for professional and privacy reasons, I have to keep my Kakofonix alter ego separate from me as a real person, and ne'er the twain shall meet. Internet footprints are circuitous and permanent - I can still find stuff I put out there more than 12 years ago - *shudders*. Linking them to me now is no way to make partner, if you catch my drift.

ok...I think this thread has jumped the shark, but it's ok, there are perks to being a new Zea lot!:laugh2:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
^^
Haha! I understand man is no problem;)
-Congrats on becoming a zea lot :)

btw congratulate me cause today when I was weightlifting I made 6Ib gain in bicep curls :laugh2:
So my total bicep curl is 36Ibs!

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
I hate to admit it, I did like it when i first got my iPhone and hardly anyone had one, made me feel special. haha!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm not a big fan of the iPhone as a status symbol. You KNOW that some people got it last year because they COULD and WOULD.

I, on the other hand, didn't want to shell out $500-$600. And my contract wasn't up anyway. So, when it WAS up this past April, I went looking for the iPhone. My friend told me to wait for the new 3G.

So, it's been several agonizing months waiting for the 3G and having to use my dumbphone. But, I'm glad I have it now. And I think the more users, the better.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
For me, the only reason to jailbreak my V1 (that I recently upgraded to 2.0) is for me to be able to theme it. I really went back and forth on whether to upgrade or not. In the end I'm very happy I did. I needed Epocrates running natively on the iPhone and some of the other programs are just spectacular. I sure do miss my beautiful themes though.

C'mon Dev team, get us a Windows jailbreak!

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for getting this thread back on topic, guys. Besides jailbreaking, is there anything else people are doing to make their iPhones unique? Someone recently posted pics of an iPhone colorwared in green...