You want MMS on the iPhone with AT&T?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I found what seems to be the only workaround for MMS on the iPhone on AT&T via SwirlyMMS. Here is the thing -- by default the iPhones plans do not support MMS as the iPhone does not support it natively at this point. I have called AT&T 3 times and asked for the iPhone + 200 texts ($20) and then add the REGULAR unlimited messaging plan (not the iPhone + unlimited) for another $20. The way I get them to do it is saying I take my SIM card out and put it in another phone when I want to message. They will do that but their billing cycle will pull it off your plan everyday automatically at the end of each day because it doesn't think the two are compatible. So its been pulled off 3 times so far.

So the permanent workaround I have found so far is to call them up and tell them you switched to a regular phone -- you can make up some phone. Then ask for unlimited data (MediaMax unlimited - $15) and then ask to add their Messaging Unlimited ($20). This will now allow unlimited data and MMS on the iPhone. The only drawback is visual voicemail will not work anymore, so it is a trade off. You have to decide which one you want more. There may be a way to get visual voicemail working, but I am not sure what it is at this point.

Thoughts?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
so what your saying is mms will work on the iPhone if I call and tell them I switched phones... I can still use my iPhone to make calls... and only drawback is no visual voicemail... ? What to do....... how would you check voicemail? Ahhhh I think I will stick to the way I have it now

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
so what your saying is mms will work on the iPhone if I call and tell them I switched phones... I can still use my iPhone to make calls... and only drawback is no visual voicemail... ? What to do....... how would you check voicemail? Ahhhh I think I will stick to the way I have it now
Yes, you check voicemail like you did traditionally...calling your number. e.g. 555-555-5555 then press * then your PIN then you get your voicemail.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
so you have tried it and you can receive pic messages
Yes. I've done it with the iPhone + 200 messages and then add the "regular phone" unlimited messaging package as well, but AT&T pulls it off your account every day because iPhone plans "aren't compatible" with other features...bs to me.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Yes. I've done it with the iPhone + 200 messages and then add the "regular phone" unlimited messaging package as well, but AT&T pulls it off your account every day because iPhone plans "aren't compatible" with other features...bs to me.
You need to install SwirlyMMS via installer and set your settings correctly. When working, I receive and can send messages without a hitch.

Mar 1, 2008
That would actually be good for me because I don't use voicemail, never have setup my visual voicemail... But I don't feel like going through all that mess. Anyone have an easier way of doing it?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
That would actually be good for me because I don't use voicemail, never have setup my visual voicemail... But I don't feel like going through all that mess. Anyone have an easier way of doing it?
Easiest way I guess is to call AT&T, tell them you got a new phone, add MediaMax unlimited and then unlimited messaging. Jailbreak your phone...its really easy, download a program, connect your iPhone, and run it. Then install SwirlyMMS off installer. Enter the carrier settings in the program and it should work.

Mar 1, 2008
Easiest way I guess is to call AT&T, tell them you got a new phone, add MediaMax unlimited and then unlimited messaging. Jailbreak your phone...its really easy, download a program, connect your iPhone, and run it. Then install SwirlyMMS off installer. Enter the carrier settings in the program and it should work.
get another phone and jb it? I already have my iPhone with the new update and its jailbroke. Check sig. What do I do from here?