Young man afflicted with rhabdomyolysis gets phone call and iPhone from Tim Cook

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Paul Houle, Jr., a 17-year-old Tabor Academy senior in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, discovered after football practice one day that he had pain in his chest and back when taking deep breaths, along with a rapid heart rate. After taking a nap, he glanced over at his Apple Watch and saw that his heart rate was still accelerated. He proceeded to go to the hospital, where he learned that he had heart, liver and kidney failure, and he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a potentially fatal condition due to the disruptions in heart rhythm it may cause.

After Tim Cook got wind of the story, he personally called Mr. Houle and offered him a brand-new iPhone, as well as a summer internship at the company's corporate headquarters.

Given that it was Tim Cook gifting Mr. Houle the iPhone (and this is my opinion only), it's a fairly safe assumption to say that all that Mr. Houle got was the 16 GB model.

Hat tip to tech site Macrumors for sharing the story and to Wikipedia for the information on rhabdomyolysis.

watch-heartrate-lifesave-800x447.jpg

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Why all the hate on Tim Cook? And Raf, I recognize that you're just reposting the story, that you're not the one spewing the hate on the giver here.
On the contrary, I am the one spewing hate on Cook. The story I reposted spewed absolutely no hate on Cook. It was me who did all the spewing. :D

But "hate" is a bit of a strong word, so let's just say "dislike." I spew dislike on Cook because he's too much of a miser to offer 32 GB as the minimum storage capacity for his company's iPhones, even though it's long overdue. The limited-storage issue is even more serious now the resolution of both still photos and movies have been upped. I realize no one forces me to get the 16 GB model, but believe me, if I could get the 128 GB model, I would do it in a heartbeat.

And yes, I fully realize Apple is a for-profit company. They are in it for the money. I'm not asking them to give away anything for free. But unbridled and unchecked greed can be smelled from a mile away.

Look at Apple did with iCloud pricing recently… They left the free tier at a nearly-useless 5 GB and they increased capacities only on the paid tiers, making it all the more attractive to shell out cash for iCloud storage. Apple will go a long way to get a dollar a month from their customers.

Of course, all of this only applies to those of us who are on a budget.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If you check any number of posts that I've written in the past, you'll notice that about 99.9% of them mention my source. In the vast majority of cases I provide a direct link to the article.

I forgot this ONE time. And I went back and corrected it as soon as I realized it, even before you wrote your post. I edited my post and included the attribution what… one or two hours later at most?

Not even ONE hour later:

"Rafagon, Today at 2:40 PM
Last edited: Today at 3:22 PM"

Posted at 2:40PM, attribution added at 3:22PM.

Hat tip to tech site Macrumors for sharing the story.
It's not like I write dozens upon dozens of posts without attributing them to the original story.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
On the contrary, I am the one spewing hate on Cook. The story I reposted spewed absolutely no hate on Cook. It was me who did all the spewing. :D

But "hate" is a bit of a strong word, so let's just say "dislike." I spew dislike on Cook because he's too much of a miser to offer 32 GB as the minimum storage capacity for his company's iPhones, even though it's long overdue. The limited-storage issue is even more serious now the resolution of both still photos and movies have been upped. I realize no one forces me to get the 16 GB model, but believe me, if I could get the 128 GB model, I would do it in a heartbeat.

And yes, I fully realize Apple is a for-profit company. They are in it for the money. I'm not asking them to give away anything for free. But unbridled and unchecked greed can be smelled from a mile away.

Look at Apple did with iCloud pricing recently… They left the free tier at a nearly-useless 5 GB and they increased capacities only on the paid tiers, making it all the more attractive to shell out cash for iCloud storage. Apple will go a long way to get a dollar a month from their customers.

Of course, all of this only applies to those of us who are on a budget.
That is no reason to dislike Cook. It's the fact that Mr. Cook showed his hospitality to the 17 year old by giving him a new phone and internship. It doesn't matter what size phone, all that matters is that he reached out to the young man. I think you're over analyzing the story and making a personal attack on Mr. Cook.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I forgot this ONE time. And I went back and corrected it as soon as I realized it, even before you wrote your post.
And in a similar situation, Napoleon went back and corrected the typo in his original post calling you out. Luckily, some of us get the email notifications that show his ORIGINAL post:

upload_2015-9-23_14-52-47.png

I'm just saying'......

I'd put this in the spelling and grammar thread too, but I don't want to get in trouble for cross-posting, which I believe is against the guidelines.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
And in a similar situation, Napoleon went back and corrected the typo in his original post calling you out. Luckily, some of us get the email notifications that show his ORIGINAL post:

View attachment 43036

I'm just saying'......

I'd put this in the spelling and grammar thread too, but I don't want to get in trouble for cross-posting, which I believe is against the guidelines.
Not at all. I've always admitted when I've made a mistake. No worries there.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
One way to separate your opinions from the article is to use quotes around the portion of the article you're copying and pasting.

I'm guessing he gave him a 64 or 128 GB because he didn't want to frustrate the kid. I can't believe they failed to increase the low end to 32 GB again this year. They should have done it last year when they increased the other two sizes.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Since you suggested doing so, I'll point out that the apostrophe at the end of "saying" is only relevant if you omit the g. That, and an ellipsis is only three periods. Just saying... ;) :D
It's called elision when you drop letters. Just saying'. :)

Besides, my goof was a simple typo, not a spelling or grammatical error. I also fixed mine immediately.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Spelling errors aren't a big deal to me and I don't care about typos at all. We all make occasional typos. What matters to me is separating article content from your own opinions. This can be done with quotes around a copied and pasted article. It's misleading and confusing if you don't use quotes.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Spelling errors aren't a big deal to me and I don't care about typos at all. We all make occasional typos. What matters to me is separating article content from your own opinions. This can be done with quotes around a copied and pasted article. It's misleading and confusing if you don't use quotes.
Gotcha!

I fixed it. I did not use quotes in the post in question because I did a lot of paraphrasing—it was not simply cut-and-pasted. I also had to look up "rhabdomyolysis" in Wikipedia and I incorporated the definition into my post. So there was information from two sources mixed together. It would've been a misuse of quotes if I had placed them there.

But I went ahead and expressly stated that the sentence in question was my opinion only. Let me know if it looks good now :)