Your iPhone can stab you in the back

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
My friends iPhone started acting strange the past few days so he took it to one of our friends who is a genius at the local Apple store and exchanges everything for us regardless of the problem.

Well he had a phone with previus water damage and so he looked at the sensors to see if they were pink. Sure enough, they were. There have been many reports that humidity can do that to the phone so he took it into his own hands to make it right. He took his phone apart, and replaced the pink stickers, with white ones so they would exchange his phone. Don't bother me with ethics here. We've all heard that.

His phone still works 100% however it's extremely slow. He'll type out a sentence and it won't show up until about 30 seconds later.

So anyway, we went to the Apple store when my friend was working. Our friend brought up his account and told us that there was water damage

so we asked him how can you tell?

We were then informed that the 3gs was equipped with a sensor that when it detects water damage the very first thing it does is notify an Apple server. So when he brought his phone in it said 'phone sent out water damage S.o.S at 2:54pm in Saturday July 12'

so now he has to pay for another phone.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It's precisely due to people swapping out the stickers that they went to that length to stop people from turning in water-damaged phones for new ones. Can't say I blame them, they probably lost a lot of money on that in the previous generations.

With that said, /me wraps his iPhone up in a ziplock bag and puts a waterproof bag on over it

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
We were then informed that the 3gs was equipped with a sensor that when it detects water damage the very first thing it does is notify an Apple server. So when he brought his phone in it said 'phone sent out water damage S.o.S at 2:54pm in Saturday July 12'
No disrespect, but I call BS on that.

I had my 3G replaced last week with a tripped water sensor near the USB port. The way they verified the water sensor was light pink vs. white is with a tiny LED flashlight. They made no mention of having been notified by the phone when the damage occurred.

And, yes, after several minutes of pleading my case and practically begging they replaced my phone. Sure they aren't "supposed" to but if you handle yourself correctly they can and will do anything to retain your businesss.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I'm just going on what is saw with my own eyes.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes I'm calling BS too. Seems to me the size and cost of the sensor(s), plus the coding and back-end work to make it all function, would cost far more than any losses from the relatively few people that not only had water damage, but also who took the extraordinary steps to actually replace the litmus stickers.

Methinks it's more likely that the friend at the Apple store either knew it had water damage and was tired of taking risks for friends, or he recognized the iPhone had been tampered with and used an indirect tactic to flush out the truth (no pun intended).

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Not accusing anyone of being a liar (or merely misinformed), but that just seems too farfetched to me. I gotta call BS as well. Sorry!

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I wouldn't believe it without having seen it myself either.

First off, how would he have known it had water damage? Our own assumptions were that the water sensors were tripped from the humidity in his bathroom when he showered. It has been reported that even BEING in high humidity areas, such as Hawaii trips those sensors.

The phone was acting absolutely perfect. Except that it was slow. Serious water damage doesn't slow your phone. It kills it.

The hardware would cost a little. but once installed the coding would cost mere pennies. All it would have to do is be programmed to upload a file to an Apple server if that sensor told it to do so. Hell, a one armed monkey could do that in seven minutes.

The size of the sensor... Who the hell predicts the size of it? Apple put a full computer in something the size of a portable hard drive. Screen and all. Who says they can't make the sensor small too? I'm a machine operator and our water sensors are currently the size of a quarter. We do not have billions to spend on R&D. Apple does. I'm 100% positive that they can shrink the size of a sensor.

By all means, I understand you guys calling BS. However, don't say someone didn't give you guys a heads up.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
No disrespect, but I call BS on that.

I had my 3G replaced last week with a tripped water sensor near the USB port. The way they verified the water sensor was light pink vs. white is with a tiny LED flashlight. They made no mention of having been notified by the phone when the damage occurred.

And, yes, after several minutes of pleading my case and practically begging they replaced my phone. Sure they aren't "supposed" to but if you handle yourself correctly they can and will do anything to retain your businesss.
Oh My God! Look who's back!

Ok sorry, we now return you to your regularly schedule argument. ;)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Interesting argument, on both sides.
I know AT&T has that "family map" location service, where our phones are traced via gps and our location is visible on their end, I know a sensor is a different thing but the analogy is there. maybe a sensor can do this cheaply.
Who knows.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
If you go swimming with your phone, make sure it's in Airplane Mode and hope there's not an automatic override when water hits the supposed sensor?

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
This is not true
I spoke to an Apple representitive for 20 minutes before mailing in my iPhone with a white screen for repair
I gave him serial number he pulled up my account, said i was still under warranty
well they sent the phone back unrepaired because they noticed one of the water sensors was set off
If there was an indicator already on file like you say... They would never have made me send it out
Your friend didn't want to help you , he lied to you

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
He didn't lie to me. Their computer must have. Directly under his account phone number in red it states that the SOS was received. Like I said, I saw it. Not heard it. The 'genius' actually turned the laptop to show us.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I won't call you a liar. I will, however, ask if you were there in person when your Apple friend replaced the stickers?

energie

Sep 13, 2008
He probably just typed SOS in the comment, in other words, he definitely lied to you.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Well i suppose this just isn't worth my time anymore. This wasn't meant to be another argument online.

I'm just stating what happened and I don't think you guys should be surprised if it happens to you too. I could care less what happens to you guys. I was just trying to inform the everythingicafe community about what did go on.

This is exactly why I've been coming here for over a year and I barely post. Hardly anyone has anything good to say about the things that you do post.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I thought it was an interesting and informative post Scraggles, and for that you get a thanks from me...
Don't be a stranger, sharing information and ideas is what this forum is about.
:)

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
This is not true
I spoke to an Apple representitive for 20 minutes before mailing in my iPhone with a white screen for repair
I gave him serial number he pulled up my account, said i was still under warranty
well they sent the phone back unrepaired because they noticed one of the water sensors was set off
If there was an indicator already on file like you say... They would never have made me send it out
Your friend didn't want to help you , he lied to you
And you don't think they would want to physically inspect the phone for other damage, either? Good thing you don't work for Apple.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you ak.

As for them inspecting the phone for other damage, haven't you ever worked with customer service reps before? It's usually 'I hav to go by what my computer says'