Your number one tip for a first-time iPhone user

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Adnams Drinker, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Adnams Drinker

Adnams Drinker New Member

Hi - new forum member here from Cambridge in the UK. I'm a 43-year-old gadget nut about to make the switch from Android to the iPhone 5.

I say 'about to' - sadly, it's a few months yet before Vodafone will give me an upgrade - but I'm wanting to know as much as possible in advance, so I can hit the ground running when the great day comes. I've already learnt a lot from the superb "how-to's" on this very site, which I found quite by accident a couple of days ago via a Google search.

My question to you is this - for a new iPhone user, especially one coming over from Android, what would be your number one hint or tip for getting the best from my iPhone?

2. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I have never actually had an Android phone. The iPhone is made to be very easy to work with. From my experience with Apple and from what I have read/talked about with Android owners is that Apple has great customer service. This is the number one thing that keeps me sticking with Apple. I have had many phones over the years that have began mess up due to the hardware, software and even me dropping the phone. Apple has taken care of me and would send me a new phone in return of my other. I have never heard of someone sending in their Android that is messed up and them getting one sent to them.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the switch to iPhone. I am sure it will not disappoint.

3. Adnams Drinker

Confession time - a couple of months ago my choice of next phone was a Galaxy S3 - my brother-in-law had recently got one and it was amazing compared to my 18-month-old Galaxy S1. However, that was before I watched the keynote on the day of the iPhone launch ...

It was like an epiphany - as each feature was demonstrated I was like "OMG ... " - I've always loved gadgets, but I've never had tech-lust this bad! Worse still, I had a phone call from my brother last week to tell me he'd just got his 64GB IP5 from the Apple Store and was raving about the speed and battery life.

Officially, Vodafone are saying I can upgrade in March, although I'm hoping history will repeat itself - last time 'round they offered me an early upgrade a couple of months ahead of my actual contract expiry, so with a bit of luck, I might have one in my hands early in the new year. If nothing else, at least there'll be a few more available by then - everywhere is selling out straight away in the UK - Vodafone et al can't get hold of them quick enough!

4. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

My advice is go and try the iPhone before making the switch. For the functions you use your Galaxy for everyday try those functions on the iPhone.
    I was considering switching from the iPhone to a Galaxy S II but when I tried finding things like the camera app, web app, music app on the GSII it was like trying to learn a foreign langauge. I didn't think it should have been all that different so I stayed with the iPhone.
    Also, questions about an iTunes replacement, phone backups, notes, etc... were other issues I didn't want to resolve if I were to switch. I rely totally on iTunes being my music, book, app, etc... repository; an important feature for me.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

As Nrevezzo alluded to, if you switch to iPhone you're going to have to cuddle up with iTunes. Luckily for me, I had started using iTunes before I had an iOS device. Do you have an iTunes account already? If not, get one and start importing your music and other media.

Transferring contacts should be simple enough, but there are many different ways to keep this data synced with your device using iTunes or iCloud. Just another thing you should look into.

How heavily invested are you in Android apps? I've never used an Android device and the main reason I won't even consider it at this point is how much I've spent (and my familiarity) with my iOS apps. My experience is so integrated and seamless throughout my mobile experience that I think switching would be like a stroke victim learning to talk again.

What are your go-to, everyday use, must have apps/functions of your current device? Start looking into their iOS counterparts so your transition is a painless as possible. Though I'm not among them, there are several folks on this forum who have switched or who use both platforms.

Welcome to eiC!

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Best thing you can do after getting an iphone---put it in a case!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Jailbreak it. (y)

8. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Don't drop it.

9. Adnams Drinker

Thanks for the replies guys ...

Yep, my iPhone is going straight in a case the minute it comes out of the box! I've lost count the number of times my Galaxy has clattered to the floor in a fit of cack-handedness. This has been the one negative about the IP5 for me so far, all the reports of easy scratching of the rear case. Undecided about a screen protector though - probably will, although a case is far higher priority.

I've got absolutely no problem with using iTunes for everything relating to my iPhone - I've used it for years as my MP3 ripper of choice and updated the details on my iTunes account just over a week ago. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere recently that Apple are about to give it a radical overhaul?

The question of apps was one that had crossed my mind, although when I looked into it in more detail, the few that I've bought have cost very little and the day-to-day ones like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Evernote and Pocket are available for iOS anyway. Plus several hundred thousand others of course ...

10. Adnams Drinker

Thought of a couple of things I take for granted on my Android and was wondering if there's any iOS equivalent:

a) I have an app that puts my phone into 'airplane' mode (no network/data connectivity whatsoever) overnight which saves a lot of battery life and prevents the phone going off while I'm asleep - I presume 'Do Not Disturb' in iOS6 might replicate some of this

b) I can place 'direct dial' shortcuts on my homescreen that dial a chosen contact without having to go trawling through the phonebook, which is great when I need to call the wife from the car. Could Siri dial a number for me?

Can iOS do either of these? They're 'nice to haves' - I don't consider them dealbreakers if not ...

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. There is an airplane mode toggle in Settings. Otherwise, use Do Not Disturb.
    2. There are free apps that will allow you to add quickdial icons for contacts to the homescreen.
    3. Yes, Siri can dial numbers.

12. Adnams Drinker

Excellent, thanks for that. All good as far as I'm concerned - just gotta wait for that call from Vodafone :whistle:

13. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Learn how to close apps. People at work are always complain that their iPhones are running extremely slow and when I double tap the home button I see they have about 50 apps open. Lol

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I approve this message.

15. Adnams Drinker

Gottit - double-click home button, then press and hold on the icons until the red minus symbol appears ;)

16. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Admire it.. Check it for marks and nicks on black model. I'm in uk and I got my ip5 with a nick on the bezel I've had replaced and its all good but I didn't notice it until I was in daylight so give it the once over..

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

don't get emotional when you touch it like I do, think of it as a telephone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. snowtrooper1966

Gold

join everythingicafe
    Nope, you've done that...

jailbreak it
    Nope, that's been wisely suggested...

love it
    Nope, bennyboy coverd that...

Looks like the essential trifecta has been covered already.
    I guess I would suggest a fantastic app like Star Walk, truly an amazing use of the iPhone....

Welcome and enjoy!

19. Adnams Drinker

I'll be after a black one and I must admit the thing about it actually arriving scratched does concern me. Some people are claiming that there's an alternative anodizing process that was more expensive but harder-wearing - if that's true, it doesn't seem like the Apple way to cut corners.

Once I know when it's arriving, I'll have a case on order and waiting, so protecting it during day-to-day use isn't really a concern.

Knowing what I'm like about gadgets, I fear this device - for a few weeks at least - will be worshipped like a caveman worshipping the Sun God :notworthy: :p ...

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Welcome to eiC :)

I'm a few miles North in Manchester. Enjoy the forums and your new phone, when you finally get it. I'm not going to repeat what's been said above because it's everything you need to know :p