Your take on iPhone books

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
On a whim, I searched Amazon.com for books on the iPhone and was surprised to find no less than 10 publications, including "iPhone For Dummies". (Feel free to insert your own joke here). Most run into several hundreds of pages. I know I can't speak for everyone, but the iPhone was basically "pick and roll" for me. In other words, it's so intuitive in use, I don't even remember reading the multi-fold user's guide that came in the box before getting the hang of every feature on my pristine iPhone.

So my question is: Jailbreaking and unlocking aside, has anyone read any of these iPhone books and found more information than came with the paper user guide or the downloadable user guide?

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
One advantage books have is that you don't need to be online but...they do get outdated quickly. I'd prefer to just get my information from here, MacRumors, or Google as the previous poster said.

sportychick

Bronze
Nov 18, 2007
Georgia
all that i know about the iPhone i learned it here
Agreed - who wants to sit and read through a book when you can get on here and hit the search button to find what your looking for in a matter of seconds really. And if you can't find it, just ask! :eek:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
all that i know about the iPhone i learned it here
Awesome new avatar!

I agree. I was leafing through one of these books in Book-A-Million the other day and all it really does is talk about how it works, such as why the LCD screen only responds to fingers, not styluses. Pretty boring.

- John

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The way I look at it, if you you're already motivated enough to find this forum you don't need a book.

But for someone who won't check out forums, etc. these books can provide some useful info, even if much of it is already in the iPhone's user guide. Of course I mean books that go into tips and such, like Pogue's book. But simple books like "iPhone for Dummies?" No way, as the iPhone is intuitive enough to not need 'em IMHO.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Apple has the PDF manual for free on their website, got it when I got the phone.