Your Thoughts?

Mar 21, 2008
ok, so, i'm on a dev's list so i'm running 3.0b5! i've been on the dev list since 3.0b1! RIGHT AFTER installing b1, i started having wifi issues! as in, my phone will NOT detect ANY wifi! i have a 3G, so i've done LOTS of google searches and found that after the 2.2.1 update there were lots of phones that started experiencing wifi issues! my issue didn't start til 3.0b1 though! read lots of crap about put your phone in a ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer, blah blah blah, actually tried that and guess what, for about 5 minutes, my phone was able to pick up wifi! so, thinking this is definitely probably a failed wifi chip, as is the case with other phones, i called Apple Tech Support! guess what i was told?! and i'm going to quote!

ATS: "ahh, Mr. Plunkett, i see your on a dev's account running the 3.0 beta"

ME: "yessir, i am"

ATS: "well, since you're running the beta software, i can't even begin to help you! all i can say that is with the official release of 3.0, your wifi issues should be fixed"

ME: "well, that's really odd, because i read Apple forums ALL the time and have searched pretty extensively for this issue ON the 3.0 beta and found NOTHING"

ATS: "well sir, as i said, since you're on the 3.0 beta, i'm not even allowed to talk to you about the issue, BUT, it will be fixed when the official release comes out, is there anything else i can help you with"?

ME: "umm, NO, that's actually the ONLY issue i'm having"

so.. i DO feel like i'm having smoked blown right up my wazoo and i was wondering what you guys think?! thoughts, advice?!

i know my warranty isn't up until Nov of this year, so, come June whatever, if the official 3.0 release doesn't fix my wifi issue (AND I HIGHLY DOUBT IT WILL) they (Apple) WILL be replacing my phone! fosho!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you're running 3.0, beta, so yah you're SOL until 3.0 is released officially

Mar 21, 2008
you're running 3.0, beta, so yah you're SOL until 3.0 is released officially
but is it possible that my running 3.0 beta is what is causing my wifi issues?! i was just thinking if that were the case then there would be LOTS more posts about it happening to other people!?! then again, i've been wrong before! lol

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
As you said, I've heard of no one with 3.0-specific wifi issues. I hope for your sake that it will be resolved with the proper 3.0 release, but I think you might have stumbled upon a coincidental hardware failure. :(

Mar 21, 2008
As you said, I've heard of no one with 3.0-specific wifi issues. I hope for your sake that it will be resolved with the proper 3.0 release, but I think you might have stumbled upon a coincidental hardware failure. :(
yeah, that's kinda what i'm thinking too, hardware failure! and while it is upsetting, it's also not really that big of a deal, because as i said, i will have it replaced and all.. it just sucks cause i LOVED using wifi while i'm at the house, layin in bed! LOL

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'm on beta 5 and have had no WiFi issues since installing beta 1. It's entirely possible that some software interaction is causing your problem but if you noticed it working after freezing your phone, I'm guessing H/W failure as well. If you're near an Apple store, you might try taking it in and talking to someone there and explain what you've found re:freezing made it work, etc... They may replace it for you. Good luck.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I would say try downgrading back to 2.2.1 and see if you still have the issue. At least then you can get Apple to do something about it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you're looking to get a replacement, I wouldn't say a word about the freezer thing, innit.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
In this case, it takes the place of "nah mean?" but can have several meanings depending on context.