YouTube adjust resolution based on connection?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

darknightsiphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Philly
Hey iPhoners,

I have had my iPhone for just about 3 weeks now. I have one silly question. The YouTube widget i know it is tuned to the iPhone codec and most the site has been formated to the H.264 file type. My question is this. Does youtube automatically judge my connection speed over wifi or edge to give me picture resolution? I have watched some of the same videos on both my macbook and iPhone and the difference is quite noticeable. Some times i can barely distinguish the 2 and others it is dvd versus beta.

Am i crazy?

P.S EIP is the best site i've seen on edge

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Hey iPhoners,

I have had my iPhone for just about 3 weeks now. I have one silly question. The YouTube widget i know it is tuned to the iPhone codec and most the site has been formated to the H.264 file type. My question is this. Does youtube automatically judge my connection speed over wifi or edge to give me picture resolution? I have watched some of the same videos on both my macbook and iPhone and the difference is quite noticeable. Some times i can barely distinguish the 2 and others it is dvd versus beta.

Am i crazy?

P.S EIP is the best site i've seen on edge
the only thing i can think of(and that's only because im not very knowledgeable) is that maybe sometimes you're on EDGE and sometimes on WIFI?

i know that videos over WIFI kill videos streamed over EDGE

jvanlee1

Jul 17, 2007
Youtube over EDGE is reduced resolution so you don't spend the rest of your life waiting for one video to start. When you are in WiFi, you get the full resolution.