YouTube commercial

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I saw it on MTV during ROB and BIG.
MTV is still around? ;)

Nice ad! I think Apple is doing the right thing with the type of message they are trying to convey with these ads.

Did you notice after the ad was over that if you mouseover the icons at the bottom they magnify like the dock? I hadn't seen that before! Nice!

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Thanks for the link. I just watched it. Still not on Apples Website yet.

The really interesting thing, I think, from a marketing perspective is that they did not feel the need to explain what YouTube was. I know that might sound stupid but think about it, people outside the target demographic probably don't have any clue what YouTube is. It is obvious that Apple is target a very specific core group with this ad. The other ads have been rather general and should appeal to just about anyone with a mobile phone, this ad is different. It definitely only meant to appeal to a certian segment.

- SR

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the link. I just watched it. Still not on Apples Website yet.

The really interesting thing, I think, from a marketing perspective is that they did not feel the need to explain what YouTube was. I know that might sound stupid but think about it, people outside the target demographic probably don't have any clue what YouTube is. It is obvious that Apple is target a very specific core group with this ad. The other ads have been rather general and should appeal to just about anyone with a mobile phone, this ad is different. It definitely only meant to appeal to a certian segment.

- SR
I agree with you, but that can easily be handled by placement of the ad in the correct demographic. The saturation of the various ads is also helping to build a better picture of what the complete iPhone experience. I bet a lot of people are at home saying, "Wow, it does that too".

We've seen email, iPod, web,movies and now YouTube. For those who don't know about YouTube, the ad would peak their interest. Looks easy enough and entertaining...understanding what's actually on YouTube is a whole other thing and something not easily conveyed during a 60 second commercial.

-Chris

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Yessss no need to explain You Tube...No need to explain any of it really. I love the idea of getting a product that requires the consumer to know certain things. If you don't know what you tube is. Youre not in the know of current pop culture asthetics/sp? I still have a friend or two that don't even use a pc let alone a Mac.
iPhone
Here I come

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I still have a friend or two that don't even use a pc let alone a Mac.
iPhone
Here I come
Me too.....got 1 that doesn't own, neve has, doesn't plan on owning a computer, just got a cell phone a couple years back... got another friend that JUST got his first mobile phone, reluctantly. He hates mobile phones.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I agree with you, but that can easily be handled by placement of the ad in the correct demographic. The saturation of the various ads is also helping to build a better picture of what the complete iPhone experience. I bet a lot of people are at home saying, "Wow, it does that too".

We've seen email, iPod, web,movies and now YouTube. For those who don't know about YouTube, the ad would peak their interest. Looks easy enough and entertaining...understanding what's actually on YouTube is a whole other thing and something not easily conveyed during a 60 second commercial.

-Chris
Agreed. If you notice on the youtube video, the ad came on during Sportscenter, and someone else said they saw it during MTV. Young male demographic anyone?

The reason YouTube isn't explained is the same reason iPod commercials barely even show the iPod. Everyone (with some remote knowledge of technology/internet) knows what YouTube is. It's turned into the holy grail of marketing....a verb. When you go online to search you "Google" something, when you go online for a video you "youtube" it.

as was previously mentioned, if you don't know what youtube is, you're probably not in the target demo for the phone.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Me too.....got 1 that doesn't own, neve has, doesn't plan on owning a computer, just got a cell phone a couple years back... got another friend that JUST got his first mobile phone, reluctantly. He hates mobile phones.
Yah....definitely not hating on my friends lack of integration hehe....But such a weird vibe when I have my new toy whatever( i am so not rich) and I am greeted by my so called friends with harsh negativity.
1. "ewww you paid how much for that?"
2. "Im waiting for the price to go down"
3. "Dude are you rich or something"
Maka me crazy...Not a typo just MAKA ME CRAZY

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yessss no need to explain You Tube...No need to explain any of it really. I love the idea of getting a product that requires the consumer to know certain things. If you don't know what you tube is. Youre not in the know of current pop culture asthetics/sp? I still have a friend or two that don't even use a pc let alone a Mac.
iPhone
Here I come
There's a term for it. Luddites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

I've got a few Luddite friends as well. They're always good for an interesting 21st century conversation. :cool:

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
I called my girlfriend and told her that our new phones were going to have youtube on them. She has no idea what that is and wouldn't know what iPhone was if I did show her the Keynote. They should let people know what things are.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well many people I would say 35+ Who were around before or during the tech boom may not know as much as those who were born and grew up with all of this. I say we call them Digital Imigrants :)

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I agree,.....but as a 38 year old 39 in august :) I get a teent teeny bit frustrated with people who clearly could take advantage of new technology that comes out ...and they just shun everything new. More iPhone for me.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I agree,.....but as a 38 year old 39 in august :) I get a teent teeny bit frustrated with people who clearly could take advantage of new technology that comes out ...and they just shun everything new. More iPhone for me.
I wanna give a big 'ol back-scratching to everyone here that I would consider "top of the technical food chain". haha

I love bein' a tech-head. A tech-junkie. A tech-head. A techno-geek.
LOVE IT.