Youtube quality on 3G iPhone?

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Whats the quality of youtube on 3g iPhone running on 3g? Is it like edge or like wifi.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Good question! It's gotta look clear right? Somebody let us know. It's not all pixelated like how it is over EDGE is it?

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
Whats the quality of youtube on 3g iPhone running on 3g? Is it like edge or like wifi.
It is no way near to wifi... same as EDGE.. I was about to post a new thread though... even though when I was tested I was getting over 500kbps.. and the download of the song begun and ended very fast.. but the quality of it... YUCK!... same as edge.. and then i tested the same song on wifi.... and gotta tell yah.. its like AWESOME...

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
It is no way near to wifi... same as EDGE.. I was about to post a new thread though... even though when I was tested I was getting over 500kbps.. and the download of the song begun and ended very fast.. but the quality of it... YUCK!... same as edge.. and then i tested the same song on wifi.... and gotta tell yah.. its like AWESOME...
Are you kidding me? You're joking right? Can we get some more feedback from other people please? This would be a deal breaker for me.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007

wtf whats the point of 3g then? I'm on wifi most of the time anywayz. I'm leaning away from buying the 3g after this.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
Are you kidding me? You're joking right?
NO SIR....! I tested it whole night.. I am very disappointed with the quality...
ITS crap! OR in other words same as EDGE...
can others confirm this?

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
what when i looked at a video it was pretty nice, not like wifi, but not at all choppy on the edge, it was much more noticeable, and better

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
wtf whats the point of 3g then? I'm on wifi most of the time anywayz. I'm leaning away from buying the 3g after this.
I wanted to get Orb live TV to stream over 3G once it got jailbroken so I can watch a clear picture. This changes everything now. I don't know if I want the 3G now.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Are you kidding me? You're joking right? Can we get some more feedback from other people please? This would be a deal breaker for me.
this is a deal breaker. More expensive without text messages. Crappier Battery life. Crappier Screen, and crappy gps that doesn't do voice turn by turn, and kills battery, Crappy 3g that only does 2x speed of edge and has crappy quality youtube videos.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I wanted to get Orb live TV to stream over 3G once it got jailbroken so I can watch a clear picture. This changes everything now. I don't know if I want the 3G now.
2.0 gives us the best the new iPhone can offer. Whats the point to upgrading?

thabayboy52

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
yes the youtube videos don't show as clear as if you were using a wifi connection. i tested this yesterday. it does download fast tho

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
this is a deal breaker. More expensive without text messages. Crappier Battery life. Crappier Screen, and crappy gps that doesn't do voice turn by turn, and kills battery, Crappy 3g that only does 2x speed of edge and has crappy quality youtube videos.

i wonder how many people will return there iPhone 3g in the 30 day grace period? i know if it isn't all great i might

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
2.0 gives us the best the new iPhone can offer. Whats the point to upgrading?
Pretty disappointed right now because I was gonna walk in and buy it at the Apple store tonite. Waiting for other 3g owners to chime in.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
navteq has a turn by turn GPS coming for iPhone 3g. I find the youtube quality to be somewhere in the middle of EDGE and WiFi, which is right where it should be. Battery is lesser than the EDGE version, but 3g is a battery drain, we all knew this coming in. so far I'm pretty impressed with it, although it is a mixed bag right now due to the fact I had to wait 10 hours for it.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
yes the youtube videos don't show as clear as if you were using a wifi connection. i tested this yesterday. it does download fast tho
I rather it download slower but be wifi quality, Most videos download fine on edge, they Play continuesly as it downloads.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
OK so why would it download fast but the quality is still not like wifi? I mean, the 3g speeds are close to wifi right? Then the quality of the picture should stream close to the quality over wifi. What gives here?

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
navteq has a turn by turn GPS coming for iPhone 3g. I find the youtube quality to be somewhere in the middle of EDGE and WiFi, which is right where it should be. Battery is lesser than the EDGE version, but 3g is a battery drain, we all knew this coming in. so far I'm pretty impressed with it, although it is a mixed bag right now due to the fact I had to wait 10 hours for it.
mm someone make a video of quality of youtube over 3g.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i hear yeah i have had some issues but i am still impressed and liking it but i dunno, only time will tell. i know it took me 3 days before i loved my iPhone v1, up until then i was pretty unsure and had buyers remorse. now its like man, one of the best items i bought in 2007

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
And so what's the point of having 3g again?

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
OK so why would it download fast but the quality is still not like wifi? I mean, the 3g speeds are close to wifi right? Then the quality of the picture should stream close to the quality over wifi. What gives here?
You are at fault ... 3G speeds are quite less than to the wifi speeds.... (I tested this on iPhonespeedtest.com It differs by 200-500 kpbs )
and regarding the youtube.. I guess it has something to with youtube.com server or att server I guess... I might be wrong but I am guessing as lets say when you start downloading over edge or 3g network att server categorise your device as the phone and send you the more blured video(I am not sure how this works but i guess this is the case) and when you download from wifi... youtube sends you the best quality of that particular video....

Correct me if I am wrong... I am just guessing at what could be the reason..
As it doesn't make sense of having 3G speeds... and downloading faster when you cant even get the best quality videos... I would even wait for a minute to start the download if I get the good quality...