YouTube videos at WiFi quality?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mace10

Sep 3, 2007
hey all... I was just curious to whether or not there is any possible way to view youtube movies on edge at wifi quality... I know it would take a lot longer for the video to load but I'm willing to wait... Is there an option, a mod, or anything at all that can allow me to achieve this?

Jasper44

Sep 3, 2007
What are you talking about? The videos are the same quality whether you are connected to edge or wifi. They don't magically become better quality when you get connected to wifi. Just pause the video and wait for the whole thing to buffer before you play it.

mace10

Sep 3, 2007
What are you talking about? The videos are the same quality whether you are connected to edge or wifi. They don't magically become better quality when you get connected to wifi. Just pause the video and wait for the whole thing to buffer before you play it.
The iPhone compresses the pixels on the videos when it detects youre watching it off an edge connection theres no way around that... Thats why im asking if theres a solution

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
:eek::eek::eek:Are you kidding me? I really hope you are kidding....

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007

I hope you are kidding.. Its been proven YouTube videos when on the Edge network are compressed for a faster download which results in poor quality.. WiFi makes them look crystal clear

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I think it was a bug, but the very first time I loaded a youtube video and it came out in great quality. From then on it was in that more compressed quality. I remember I was so amazed the first time I loaded a youtube video on edge and I was like WOW FAST GREAT QUALITY! lol I didn't even notice a download speed difference. I think it would have been better for them to increase the quality a little bit.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
Do you own an iPhone?
Of coarse i do, so what your saying is AT&T convert all the videos on the fly on AT&T servers when it detects an EDGE connection. LOL. after Apple have converted all flv content to H264 codec it gets converted again to what format?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Of coarse i do, so what your saying is AT&T convert all the videos on the fly on AT&T servers when it detects an EDGE connection. LOL. after Apple have converted all flv content to H264 codec it gets converted again to what format?
Is not AT&T but YouTube that does it... it was huge when it was announced.. Can't believe some people don't know this.